Handbrake doesnt work! Ideas?

So next on the list is sorting out the handbrake. The lever feels like it isnt attached to anything but there are allready 2 extra nuts on the adjuster. Only when pulled all the way to the top there is a little movment of the spring thingy on the calipers (i had someone look under the car while i pulled the lever). Now my friend who previously owned the car said he took that bit apart, unsiezed it, cleaned and greased it so that cant be it. Any ideas? Oh and it has discs and ABS at the back :)

OP
OP
A
I havent yet but they are the obvious suspect. But as they are a bit expensive i want to be 100% sure its the cables before i waste my money :p

Kris C

Ex. Club Member
To be fair it sounds like you have rulled out everything else and that the cables have had it, prob stretched tbh. Make sure you get ones for disc's as the drum cables are longer iirc

OP
OP
A
I had a look under the car and it looks like the cables are either too long or stretched and i found that the handbrake thingy on th caliper i siezed solid.

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
I had a look under the car and it looks like the cables are either too long or stretched and i found that the handbrake thingy on th caliper i siezed solid.

these thingy'z ? on this abs rear disc axle
http://s781.photobucket.com/albums/yy97/DRAGONZ_photos/?action=view&current=MOV02352.mp4

and if the cables arent bolted down in their correct places ,all of them, theirs a problem
if the cables have damage , sqaush damage would have em inoperable, and slit cut damage siezez em with rust
the only hope is the pollymobile blog mate ,i recon the only one
removing axle is a bit of art work itself, involves cutting things in the right place and plenty bish bosh :grinning:

pollyp

Club Member
the rear caliper handbrake mechanism and the piston surface tends to gunk up over time and needs overhauling to free-up.

the piston is quite simple to unscrew out, clean with brake cleaner or replace, then fit rubber boot over piston lip, carefully position the boot into the caliper body recess and screw the piston all the way back in.

servicing the internal handbrake mechanism is abit more tricky n requires special/modified tool to remove the hidden c-clip. see my blog

or the easier expensive route is to buy refurbed calipers off ebay or brakes international.

OP
OP
A
Took the car to the shop and they sorted it out for me :) Now it holds on the 3rd click and im very happy as they charged me only 15€ :)