Handbrake adjustment

Am I right in thinking the handbrake is self adjusting?

I had my MOT the other day and failed on front brake imbalance, 33%, and rear brake imbalance, 27%, both left to right. I have replaced the pads and calipers on the front, discs are almost new, so left them. Fitted new shoes on the rear and fully bled the system, and feels much better all round, the shoes were almost to the metal on both sides, so i guess that would be the cause of the imbalance :)

You can clean and copperslip the ratchet mechanism too so the brakes adjust smoothly aswell.

Done that too. I thought it was just me that called it copperslip, even my lecturer at college looked at me funny when i first said it.

The technical term is anti sieze compound, but in the real world it's copperslip. He's obviously never actually worked in industry...

I think it is mainly down to the fact i called it copperslip, as i am 36, i think he hadnt heard it in a while, been used to 16-17 year olds and having to call it its proper name. My lecturer used to prep road cars for race use down at castle coombe, so yeah he has worked in the industry :)

Back