Hand Brake Light on but brakes seem fine?

Morning all,

Handbrake light has just suddenly become fixed on. Think is handbrake and braking all round seems 100% so I'm wandering if it's a failed/dirty/obstructed switch?

Trouble is, away from home right now and limited look up and tools.

Could use a quick reminder or pointer as to where the switch lives .... think it is under handbrake level somewhere?

What do folks reckon? The switch itself? brakes themselves (even though feel ok)?

Help appreciated as always. Cheers

Check brake fluid level. When it gets below LOW mark the light goes on.

Was indeed very low of fluid ... down to min. No obvious sign of leak or poor breaking. odd

And indeed having topped up to max, the warning light still on. Also odd. Will take it out for a drive when collect my "essential front line worker" up end of day.

Natural wear of brake pads causes fluid level to slowly go down due to the pistons moving out a bit more.

In your case I would look at the switch and connector by the hand brake lever and also the connector by the fluid reservoir.

There was an advisory on front discs last MOT and it's done a good few miles since then. The top up worked and took it our this morn and just noticed that the light gone out now.

Think we back to solid running again. Yeah I thought switch but seems ok this pass.

Mind have ordered new discs and pads for front. Not bad, a full Mintex set of both for £34 inc p&p off ebay. Could have run them longer but at that price it's not worth the question mark.

Back