Had a go on the new Micra

baguete

Site Supporter
Hi guys, yesterday i tested the new Micra, liked it very much. Good engine, even being 3-cylinder, very responsive at low revs, and like the K11 you need to rev it to get full power. I tested the Tekna Premium version, with all the equipment, GPS, MP3 radio with USB and 3,5mm inputs, cup-holders near the handbrake, parking assistors that tells if the car fit a space. The rear seats are like the K11, the backs go down but you can turn them to near the front seats and make it van. Nice driving position, seemed that i was driving a K11. Good brakes, but the accelerator and steering are very light, its just a matter of get used to it. Jelly suspension but it take corners easily.

Some pics:

IMG_0010-21.jpg

IMG_0006-28.jpg

IMG_0005-34.jpg

IMG_0003-34.jpg

IMG_0004-28.jpg

IMG_0008-28.jpg

IMG_0007-22.jpg

Thanks for sharing your feeling Armando ;)
Make me want to ask for a trial driving now :D
Cheers
Seb

Aye me too,
Theres a white one at my local, and its actually visually looking smaller then the k11 in white, but i know its not true because i've seen one up close before haha.

Hello
I sat in one of these & had a look around one in the Nissan showroom near us.

I've got to say I did like it (a more K11 type front end might have been a good move though - think evolution not revolution). I read a test recently in Autocar & they didn't seem to rate the quality that highly (or anything else really) but certainly from looking at it, it seemed fine to me though & I definitely preferred it to the K12 (Y)

Got to say though is it just me or is Nissan a bit "low key" on this one? Yes there are adverts on the telly & radio but Nissan don't seem to have put that much effort in to "pushing" this car. Remember the K12 adverts all "modro" etc etc, all seemed a much bigger deal. On the new one they make a real big deal out of the turning circle - yes it's good but that's hardly got me reaching for my cheque book :laugh: Compare it with the new Corsa ad's for example which are funky etc.

Also how many magazine's have actually tested it yet?

What do you lot reckon?

Cheers
Dave

All the magazines have tried it, and it's been universally PANED!

Lot's of gizmo's don't make a poor car good...
Going to have to look elsewhere for our next motor - she doesn't like the Juke!

I'm in two minds about this. I leared to drive in a K10, put 107,000 miles on a new K11 and currently have 97,000 on my beloved K12. Not sure about the K13, the reviews haven't exactly been stellar :(. Can only hope the supercharged version is better...

All the magazines have tried it, and it's been universally PANED!

Lot's of gizmo's don't make a poor car good...
Going to have to look elsewhere for our next motor - she doesn't like the Juke!

Yeah, i've seen the odd quick review basically saying it's crap :laugh: But how many magazines have actually done a proper full test or compared it with rivals etc? I could've missed it but I don't recall many ?

Cheers

Dave

I drove it and i think that the car is fantastic, nothing wrong with it, dont understand why you people say its bad... fwn

We don't baguete but the British motoring press have been decidely luke warm about it so far :down:.

its like the k11 story,,after the k10 ..micra fans were waiting for the updated k10 but the k11 showed up instead,no turbo nothing really to do with the k10,,so 10 years later the following started and is building still,,,you may have jumped the gun baguete?

We don't baguete but the British motoring press have been decidely luke warm about it so far :down:.

The Portuguese Press said it was very good, and people shouldnt listen to what they say, should test the car to see if they like it, like i did...

That's the thing, all the brief reviews I have seen have been a bit tepid about the K13 to say the least.

Just seems odd that Nissan would bring out something considered average or below average when the K11 & K12 both did really well with the motoring press? It's not like Nissan are new at this & there's certainly lots of competition.

I'm not saying they're always right though as to be honest i've owned cars that the motoring press raved about when new that proved subsequently to be rather poor (the Metro I had years ago springs to mind :grinning: )

It'd just be nice to know that if I ever want to buy a new Micra (better whisper that in case the K11 hears) that i'd be getting a good car :down:

Dave
(Y)

understand that new cars and scrapage scheme go hand in hand
and now people look at new cars difrent,,how many new registrations a year is it now

I booked my trial driving for next week ! It will be the same color as Armando, grey :)
I will write a report with pictures in this topic!

btw: for those interested in this new Micra, just suscribe to the MARCH CLUB on facebook, thai fans are HOT, they post a lot of pictures:
221889_120250888055299_100002111640002_157764_5111852_n.jpg

Thats a very nice shot here seb,

Yeah press is generally lame, and the brittish population (most of them) enjoy getting ripped off, buying lazy rides, and enjoy dealing with problems!

Real cars like the k11 are just underestimated, but then again, i think i like the micra even more mainly because they're classed as a granny car :') (According to young population), aren't they suprised when its the micra shooting past ;).

there is a very simple political reason that the british press arent liking the new micra..

the old one was a great car, the k11. but under powerred and soggy suspension, the k12 was basicaly a good car based on a bad one (renault clio) both of these cars were "BUILT IN THE UK"

the new one... isnt and its simple resentment of the nissan firm for reducing the workforce in the uk and moving it abroad.
plus... its probebly another drive by wire, sluggish cheap built piece of modern crap. the same as any other luke warm family hatch...

i dont like it. would have loved it if it had a 1300cc engine or a 1.2turbo...... even an 800cc turbo like the old kei cars..

So today I had a booked trial for the new Micra. I was lucky, usually there are 2 sellers at my Nissan's local shop, but this week one of the seller was in holydays, so the other seller just gave me the key and lent me the car for 30mins. He had to stay at the shop so I was alone in the car and could test it in "any conditions" :p So I stopped by and picked up my cousin that lives nearby Nissan's. I pushed the engine hardly, city driving and highway. Here is my quick review:

First good surprise, that I didn't realised when I sat in the car in the Japanese Nissan shop during the March meeting last year, the seats are incredibly comfy, tall enough, offering a very good bearing on the side where your humps rest, with quality textile and thick foam, they feel solid and safe.
Position for driving is pretty high, windscreen is large, like in the K11, and the space between the dashboard and the windscreen is not too deep, much better than on the K12. Pillars are not big (not like on the C3 for example, where they are very large).
Right after setting the seats, I've checked and setted the mirrors, side mirrors are huge, much appreciated it. The blind spot is really tiny, not like on the K11. You have space, tall people will be ok, like in the K11 (a little less maybe)
Stock sound system is more than OK!

On the other hand, the clocks cluster is not very clear, speed jauge is not very big, speed marks are rather thin and not easy noticed. I didn't saw fuel gauge ! I don't know if it was displayed on another screen or if it was displayed only on demand, maybe it's displayed only when you ask to see it.
Other major problem is that plastic feels VERY cheap; fragile and not well adujsted. The door cards seem to be badly and approximatively fixed when you knock or push on them, and the 2 glove box are a pure joke: too tiny and fragile.
Other example for the bad plastique: the indicators stalks are really bad, they feels empty, and they switch badly, they don't make a frankly "CLICK" sound when you put your side indicators; so I was troubled and didn't remember if they were ON.
The GPS and the heater console are... ugly, bad shapes, bad materials, bad colors: a big silver plastic round when all the dash is black, WTF ? it seems difficult to swap with a regular car stereo cd player, the sellers didn't managed to tell me how it was possible, he didn't knew.

Video of the inside:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdPVFF3CxwQ

Driving:
the engine is vivid and rather nipy when you go past the 3000RPM, but I was a bit disapointed by the 1st gear, a bit too slow at start, but remember its a eco car, and maybe I didn't found the good clutch deadpoint. On the highway it feel safe, even at 120KMH no vibrations, not too much noise from the engine, it feels smoother and less "pushed to the max" than a K11 1.0 at 120KMH. He makes you want to play with it, and I did :p
Spring system is pretty good, less hard than a K12 and less "floaty boaty" than a K11. Direction is pretty accurate and not too much assisted, so it results taking roundabout at high speed feels safer than in the K11 with stock springs.
The steering-wheel has a nice shape, good grip in the hands, touch feels good (leather) and is not too big. Again, something much better than in the K12.
Gearbox is longer than K11 gearbox, but not THAT long (way better than a C3 for exemple), changing gears is easy and smooth, I liked it. Pedals are big enough and precise. Brakes are efficient, I was impressed.

Video driving it :
http://youtu.be/Lj4JBad_VlI

To sum up; trying this car was a trap.
I wanted to try it just by curiosity, thinking that I would never be interested at all in buying it, but in the end, I have to admit that it was really pleasant! A lot more pleasant than same categorie other cars I already drove :Clio 2 and 3, Polo, K12 or C3. It feels nippy (a bit less than a 16V K11 tho, less nippy on low rev), safe, comfy and quiet. It's much better than the K12 imho.

With better dashboard, better plastics, 3 doors version, and a little more HPs, I could bought it, as a nice eco daily car. Let's wait for a phase2, I could be tempted to buy it :p

I Tthink it's something as a Micra fan you should experience if you have a Nissans dealers nearby you live. You will forget your prejudice ;)

Ahh very nice review seb, its good to see that it is ok for first launch, and like you say, phase 2 could be much better (DIG-S?? xD) when comparing it to the k11 16v, is that the 1.3 engine? just curious as to a bit more from what we can expect from it.

The sound of the engine from the video seems quite nice though! did you perform any 0-60 run?

Thanks for the review seb :p !

there is a very simple political reason that the british press arent liking the new micra..

the old one was a great car, the k11. but under powerred and soggy suspension, the k12 was basicaly a good car based on a bad one (renault clio) both of these cars were "BUILT IN THE UK"

the new one... isnt and its simple resentment of the nissan firm for reducing the workforce in the uk and moving it abroad.
plus... its probebly another drive by wire, sluggish cheap built piece of modern crap. the same as any other luke warm family hatch...

i dont like it. would have loved it if it had a 1300cc engine or a 1.2turbo...... even an 800cc turbo like the old kei cars..

Got to agree with all you say apart from the underpowered K11 bit.

I have a K11 1.3 CVT & whilst it's no Porsche it does shift quite well if needs be & I quite enjoy surprising modern car owners grr. Once drove a 1.0 though & found that a bit sluggish.

Modern cars do always feel a bit lardy & overweight. Plus these days a lot of so called small cars are actually pretty big !

I like the new micra particularly the white ones BUT couldnt have one as they have a similar looking body to the new clio and i just couldnt have people mistake it

Thanks Seb, that site really makes me want to buy one now :p. However, I couldn't abandon my beloved K12 just yet... Maybe in a yearr or twos tim.

Thanks Seb, that site really makes me want to buy one now :p. However, I couldn't abandon my beloved K12 just yet... Maybe in a yearr or twos tim.
I wanted to buy a second K11 but now I want a Supercharged white K13 too...

Can I have the red/black and orange/black ones please? I'm actually quite impressed at how they look now, wasn't too sure at first. But I think I might have to take a trip to my local Nissan dealership and have a test drive now :grinning:

Back