hack drive axles!?

Hi,
I want to get a 5 speed box for my k10 to replace my 4 speed one. I have found one at a scrapyard for £50 ( if i take it out myself ) or £75 if they remove it ( dont know if this is a good price or not )? Anyway i was thinking of hacksawing through the axles on the car at the scrappy as i think there only hollow tubes so shouldnt be to hard? I want to do this so that i dont loose the sidegears into the diff as this has been worrying me (also should be easier to remove ). Does anyone think there will be a problem with doing this?
Any help appreciated.....mcd

curtis

Ex. Club Member
take the wheel off, then the suspension shock out, about 4 nuts, the drive shaft shoud just pull out!

OP
OP
M
Thanks for the replies, But wont i loose the side gears into the diff if i dont shove something into the hole? ( ive heard this can happen )

superls

K10 Tuner
ive lost the planet grears b4, i started the engine in gear with no shafts in, cost me a couple of hours and a 5 speed box.

OP
OP
M
Ok so theres no chance of loosing the sidegears so long as i dont start it up without the axles in? By the way thanks for the replies!