Greetings From Ireland!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I recently encountered this forum through Google. My name's Richard, I'm 20, I'm from Ireland, and I have a 1990 silver Micra K10 L (988cc). It is good to see their is other people out there who also have a passion for the older Micras! Unfortunately, about a month ago, the engine in it took a turn for the worst (I reckon either a piston ring and/or valve seals worn out completely in one of the cylinders), as it is only now firing on 3 cylinders, and burns excessive oil (has done so for the past 2 years). It's a shame really, given it only has just under 110,000 miles on it, and it is not like I was abusing the engine either (I'm actually quite a slow driver).

However, not is all lost, I'm going to keep the car and hopefully within a few months (or years, depending on the financial situation), I plan on restoreing the car back to its former glory. The paintwork is in rough condition, but the overall body has little rust on it. It could be an interesting project.

Now myself, I'm not into the whole modified car thing at all, I prefer to keep cars just like they came out of the factory, (each to their own). Nevertheless, any tips and hints on the restoring of the Micra will be greatly appreciated.

Anyway, I'll get pictures up of my car as soon as I can. Thanks.

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
I'd cut the paint using one of many products out there to reveal the real colour of your car, also, you'l probably want an angle grinder style tool with a polishing bonnet on to do the job. To do the whole car by hand would take a while! Give it a nice polish up once you are done.

Im not too sure if that engine problem is easy to fix, however there are many K10 micra's in scrap yards. You could get yourself a nice cheap running replacement, or even upgrade to a 1.2. The mounts and linkages are all the same.

Welcome to the club :)

Thanks for the suggestions.

The lacquer is coming off the boot door and the driver and passenger doors. The driver door with have to be repalced however (scumbags broke into it last month, for the forth time, and the door is all warped and out of shape, and it's fairly rusted as well). The front driver's side wing will also need some TLC as someone done a hit and run in a car park.

As for the engine, it's hard enough trying to find a decent carb in a scprayard, let alone an engine! I'll do my best with it anyway. A friend of mine is a mechanic, so he'll give me some help as well. I was thinking of changing the gearbox from a 4 speed to a 5 speed, but we'll deal with that when the time comes.

Ems

Ex. Club Member
Sounds like the poor car's on it's way out. Why not buy another and use any parts you have left from the one you have for spare parts. You can find k10's in good nick for a few hundred :)

Welcome btw :D

Sounds like the poor car's on it's way out. Why not buy another and use any parts you have left from the one you have for spare parts. You can find k10's in good nick for a few hundred :)

Welcome btw :D

Not at all! The car has been in our family since 1993 (I bought it from my uncle). It's part of the family now!

lol, ok. Does it have any rust on major parts? Like the sills?!

Virtually none, in fact, all the wings, underbody, etc. have little to no rust, and their are no rust holes at all. However, under the carpet under the rear seats has a good bit of rust, but it is nothing a bit of sandpaper and paint won't cure. For a 17 year old car, the bodywork has held well to the elements.

However, as I said, the driver's door is in bad order.

Paul H

Ex. Club Member
Virtually none, in fact, all the wings, underbody, etc. have little to no rust, and their are no rust holes at all. However, under the carpet under the rear seats has a good bit of rust, but it is nothing a bit of sandpaper and paint won't cure. For a 17 year old car, the bodywork has held well to the elements.

However, as I said, the driver's door is in bad order.

I know the feeling! mine has served for three generations I would hate to have to scrap it. Presumably you have help and somewhere to keep the car! which is more than I have. Still, a replacement door isn't expensive. I had to re-build my door. It's not structural so not a major worry. I will have to get my sills done for the next mot - but a mate had his welded up for £86 and laughed all the way to the pub. I just hope the back doesn't fall off in the mean time. Cackle.

Status
Not open for further replies.