Grasser Rebuildish

Picked up a donor car a while back, was gonna make a quick buck on it but decided to redo the grasser and thought i would share it with you guys :). just gonna re-panel and engine transplant all being well.

Progress so far:
Ground door and wings off
front bumper off
prepared some of the engine bits for transplant, hoping can leave exhaust in place due to being welded to one piece

And why we do it :)

Looks good fun Glen, out of interest, whats it generally cost to fit a Micra to make it a grasser? Do you need any racing licence or to be part of an organisation etc...cheers.

OP
OP
GlenJ
Looks good fun Glen, out of interest, whats it generally cost to fit a Micra to make it a grasser? Do you need any racing licence or to be part of an organisation etc...cheers.

The Main cost is the cage bud and getting electrics done (but both could be done yourself, doing cage is not recommended tho) dependant of club you join its normally around £60 for your licence and on the day its £10, £7 to get in and £3 to race (insurance). If you want any more info bud just ask or visit national autograss website plenty of info there.

Noticed that you've barely any wires, how have you done this? 2013 was my first season at autograss as I done stock cars before this, I raced an ax in class 1 juniors, now building a micra for mens and any advice/tips would be helpful, Daniel

OP
OP
GlenJ
Hey Dan i got the wiring done by a auto electrician who was in the sport at the time he charged me £100, well spent as well, others have tried to do it them selves and had a nightmare doing so. I know of one guy who ran the engine and chopped away until the car cut out then he then repaired that wire and so on. So i would get a price for the job first so you know you are just left with what you need.

I'm in Scotland, so not as easy really. Couple hours after I posted this I bought one off the yd forum, they are cracking cars for what they are.

frank

Club Member
I know of one guy who ran the engine and chopped away until the car cut out then he then repaired that wire and so on.
a bit hit-n-miss that glen ! there are a few wires that wont cut the engine but will cause it to run badly (dedicated earths, sensor wires etc)
i did mine methodically :) used the diags from here to label each of the 20 or so essential wires needed, and junked all the other wires

OP
OP
GlenJ
I'm in Scotland, so not as easy really. Couple hours after I posted this I bought one off the yd forum, they are cracking cars for what they are.

Nice 1 buddy….

Yeah thats why i got it done Frank i wouldn't know where to start tbh i just know they have been a nightmare for some grassers.

OP
OP
GlenJ
That looks like a lot of fun! What all wiring needs to go?

Yeah it is bud….. Not all the wiring needs to go just leave what you need, some use the micra with the dash still in and on the turn of a key ( again not something i would recommened) others leave a lot of the wiring in including the fuse box, they all differ to be honest. With my lack of patience and knowledge £100 was a bargain to get it done properly

OP
OP
GlenJ
Bit of progress, grasser engine out today. Will start stripping the gold 1 next week when i have managed to make some room for it, what i don't need will go on ebay unless somebody on here needs anything please let me know.

Thanks for looking….

OP
OP
GlenJ
Going to be buying some new bits for the replacement donkey, When searching for a replacement clutch it seems to be coming up with a few from Europarts (seem to have a sale on)

Clutch Option- Transmech 3 piece clutch £27 or OEM 3 piece £39. You guys recommend any of these and are they a straight replacement?

thanks again

OP
OP
GlenJ
not to sure myself bud, i opened another thread about which clutch to go for and there a few replies recommending the LUK and it was only a extra couple of quid :)

OP
OP
GlenJ
Cleaned down and fitted New water pump and belts

Clutch off and fitted new 1, fingers crossed on that when engine goes back in :)

Picked up a donor car a while back, was gonna make a quick buck on it but decided to redo the grasser and thought i would share it with you guys :). just gonna re-panel and engine transplant all being well.

Progress so far:
Ground door and wings off
front bumper off
prepared some of the engine bits for transplant, hoping can leave exhaust in place due to being welded to one piece Just looking at your nice tidy roll cage is it Galvanised tube ?

And why we do it :)

OP
OP
GlenJ
Sorry took me a while to see what you were asking. Yeah round tube, if your doing a grasser square bar will not be allowed in 2015 so tube is the way to go

Yeah i use the manifold on front then over to top bolt holding starter motor in seems to keep it level ish
I wana do same but don't have a hoist will it work ok if I pull it over the front engine bay ? And use jacks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah i use the manifold on front then over to top bolt holding starter motor in seems to keep it level ish
y8uzezed.jpg

If you can could you not put the engine to the floor lift the car up and doggy the block out underneath?
I can but how will I put my build engine in the car again ? No hoist ? and one man only no helpers ?

h701micra

Deactivated Account
The think I do want a crane but I don't have time to do it in a day coz my work it's like 7 days, that will be expensive when am done with it ? I only work on my car when I have 30 mins spare, so I was thinking by hand

Azzydot you spent an hour removing bumpers etc. I'm sure you can swap an engine over in that hour next time

Azzydot you spent an hour removing bumpers etc. I'm sure you can swap an engine over in that hour next time
I had the time today for it all I was doing it so well, then a really sad to hear when my brother calls to say a family member who we know has passed away so I had to leave the tools where it was and went to there house, but Tommow if days good engine is coming out I promise

OP
OP
GlenJ
Managed get the head back on today, it was getting late but something don't look right cams look more to the left then when took them off, so the chain looks half a link out this is deja vu tho happened last time I'm sure will look more tomorrow

OP
OP
GlenJ
Bit of progress, engine nearly back together, suspension springs cut down (fingers crossed will be straight) driveshafts in etc etc and some new shiny bits :)

Thanks