Global Warming...

I was just browsing through google when I came across these pictures, it puts the effect of global warming into respect really...
greenland_l7_2005247.jpg
It's one hell of a lot of ice to lose off one relatively small area (150 square miles) in only 22 years, if it's happening all over the North and South poles then it's no wonder the scientists are predicting severe weather patterns, rising sea levels and massive worldwide climate change, pretty scary really.

zanes

Ex. Club Member
Prove it's caused by CO2 (not solar activity, natural cycles, things we haven't even thought of?)

And before it starts, I do try to be environmentally friendly

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
I have to say i get a bit annoyed when people jump on the global warming bandwagon, when not everything comes down to it! It just seems to be the 'in' thing to bang on about at the moment.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
20 things you need to know about eco-motoring

No one likes a tofu muncher, least of all one who hasn't got his facts straight.

Here's some ammo to ensure you're scratched off his Christmas-card list once and for all:

1. According to Euro NCAP, an Audi Q7 is less harmful in a pedestrian impact than a Ford Fiesta.

2. A season of F1 racing burns less fossil fuel than a single transatlantic 747 flight.

3. The Stern Report found that cars make up less than half of all transport emissions in the UK.

4. The average British home emits 1,500kg more CO2 per year than a Ford Focus.

5. Buy local. A car carrier burns 1,756 tonnes of heavy fuel oil one way from Japan to the UK.

6. Oxford Street is the UK's most polluted street. Most of Oxford Street's length is closed to cars.

7. Like trains, cars are only efficient when they're full. A fully loaded Discovery emits less CO² per occupant than a fully loaded Smart.

8. Acid rain created from mining nickel for Prius batteries has destroyed the landscape in Sudbury, Ontario to such an extent that NASA now uses the area to test drive its latest lunar vehicles.

9. It's at least three times cheaper to drive a small diesel from London to Edinburgh than it is to take the train.

10. The average saloon car is responsible for its own kerbweight in CO2 per year. The average Brit accounts for 30 times his own body weight.

11. The UK's superminis emit three times as much C0² as its SUVs.

12. While 85 per cent of cars are recyclable by law, trains go unregulated, with much of each heading to landfill.

13. A domestic flight emits around 400g/km of CO² per passenger, four times that of a small diesel car with only the driver onboard.

14. Despite being smaller and emitting less CO² than a Toyota Prius, the Volkswagen Polo Bluemotion is not exempt from London's Congestion Charge.

15. Farting cows are responsible for 18 per cent of all greenhouse gases, more than cars, planes and all other forms of transport put together.

16. Anti-car evangelist Ken Livingstone doesn't even have a driving licence. But he does have a Prius.

17. A Land Rover Discovery has a smaller carbon footprint than a London Cab.

18. Carbon offsetting could do more harm than good. Forests north of the Tropics retain heat and actually contribute to global warming.

19. A Boeing 747 emits 400 tonnes of C0² in 24 hours. It would take 250 cars a year to achieve this.

20. Some electric cars aren't even governed by today's safety legislature. The G-Wiz being one example.

Turtle

Ex. Club Member
I sort of agree Arnold, because if you remember back to the late 70's :glance: (no, ok I don't either), early 80's they thought the world was going to freeze over. There were BBC documentaries about it etc.

So it shows how quickly people can change their opinions. Although I appreciate theres a lot of evidence for Global Warming, i've also seen a lot of false evidence and badly argued points which everyone agrees with to be politically correct. :suspect:

I wouldn't be surprised if the world is just going through a warm spell, like it did during medieval times, and it'll naturally go back to being cold, and probably freeze over one day. :down:

On a side note. Who are we to say that Global Warming is bad? We don't own the planet... its a fact that there are too many humans on Earth for the habitat to sustain, and one way or another the numbers are going to have to fall. Wether its by mass starvation, disease, World War 3 or "global warming" something will kill us off. The worlds media will always be talking about one of those issues, right now its global warming (with a little bit of World War 3 and the occasional report on the next global disease which will wipe us out)

We like to think that we're invincible. That we can just make food as and when we need it, that we can sustain billions and all go and live on Mars when its a little bit crowded here. Well maybe we can, but its foolish to believe that mankind are any more invincible than the Dinosoars were.

Natural selection will take its course. Like the chavs on the moped-roundabout found out...

detox

euro member!!
Ok so I do understand what there saying about global warming but I do think it is worth think about facts as well as ideas...

I do save as much energy as I can but it is hard to do everything efficiently.

P.S. the ice age happened completely naturally; think in the change in the earth’s weather then.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Until established facts can be proven, I sit on the fence and trust nothing as fact from either side at the moment. I have my own views :)

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
There were some guys a while back on Richard and Judy I think it was who had hard evidence that CO2 from humans only contributed a small proportion to the earth natural warming, and that they didn't believe in global warming. I personally have never been convinced and I think part of it is just due to the planets natural warming and cooling. Did humans create the ice age... I think not. I think its partly government encouragement to get people out of their cars too. I'm definitely not convinced though.

Kev

Pro Cut Vinyl
Founding Member
Official MSC Trader
15. Farting cows are responsible for 18 per cent of all greenhouse gases, more than cars, planes and all other forms of transport put together.

Damn those cows!!!!

rlees85

Ex. Club Member
all the more reason to eat beef!

but seriously i think the world is just getting hotter anyway cars and farting cows or not