• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Getawaycars GX, the turquoise terror!

I spelled turquoise wrong in the title! D'oh!

Lately we have been posting pics of our cars in the K11 blogs section but we intend having a bit of fun with this one. So without further ado, here is the turquoise terror!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Straight from the Nineties complete with bodykit and 3 spoke alloys!
Its a 1.3 GX complete with intermittant stutter on acceleration, rust and broken door handle! Ready made rat-look!

As its already mot'd we can concentrate on running repairs and 'modernisation'!

1st to go will be the wheels! 3 spoke alloy wheels are the 'olive bathroom suite' of the alloy wheel world! Besides we cant fit bigger brakes with 13" wheels and I dont want to lower the suspension until I know how low I can go.

More soon...

Daniel

I WILL be back...
Olive bathroom suite :laugh:. Yeah that sounds about right. Looks ok apart from that though, love the colour - bodykit is a bit Marmite though

I'm not keen on bodykits either but this one isnt too bad. Its been fitted well and doesnt have any big snow ploughs or whaletails.
I think it will look ok with nice wheels but I would never fit one to a car that didnt already have one! (I'm the guy who fitted standard 'ready salted' bumpers to his Super S!) :laugh:

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
Karl old bean, apart from old Citroen AX's, 3 spokes are just plain wrong :p.

meh i always knew i was born at the wrong time.... but what about these yoko's?

Attachments

• 130_0606_02_z ten_wheel_designs yokohama_super_advan.jpg
    130_0606_02_z ten_wheel_designs yokohama_super_advan.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 584
Karl, those 3 spokes pictured are the only 3 spokes I'd have on an my cars.
However, this car doesnt have those 3 spokes.

I thought of offering them free to anyone who would pay for the courier but the more I look at them the more I want to watch them go into the big machine at the metal recyclers! :laugh:

I'd love a set of the advan's but they dont do a small enough size :down: and I already have two sets of wheels I'm not using

Stuttering and hesitation was becoming a pain. When you try quick getaways or chuck it round a corner it would die. Unfortunatly to get out my street there is a junction that involves a sharp right hand turn up a hill, to turn into our workshop involves turning right at a tight mini roundabout! :(

When the car stuttered it would show all the symptoms of running out of fuel. The problem only really started when the fuel level dropped below 1/4 tank.
Dodgy fuel gauge? Fuel pump?
Took the fuel pump assembly out. Found the plastic 'box' the pump sits in full of shi.. dirt and deboris.

So, we carefully placed a load of clean rags into the tank and removed the fuel filter. The petrol that spilled out the filter looked more like tea than petrol!
Using a small hand pump we pumped the fuel from the filter back into the tank. I deliberately didnt use an airline as I didnt want to spray petrol all over the interior.

Stuck a new fuel filter on and carefully removed the rags from the tank, ringing the petrol out them as I went. The rags pick up the dirt and trap it allowing the cleaner fuel back into the tank.

Built it back up and tested it. FIXT! :laugh:

Was able to drive back home in the irresponsible and dangerous manner I am familiar with!

Also treated the terror to a new heater resistor, drivers door handle and fitted the stereo in the dash a bit better.

Done nothing this week! :laugh: (Not to the terror, been busy with everything else!)

But have a development/need inspiration for the wheels....

attachment.php

In advanced talks over these 15" Chunks of alloy! Will be big enough to clear my big brakes and look better than the 3 spokes.
Not sure about the colour though. Tuorquoise isn't an easy colour to match wheels to!
As these wheels look a bit JDM I thought of something bright, red or something. The Missus reckons it will make people puke on sight and I should go for white instead.

Anyone any ideas or suggestions?

Think its just the light in the pic, R Reg.

Bodywork is quite tidy for its age. Few bubbles round rear arches and below the rear reg plate.
Might have to 'modify' the arches to get these wheels on after I lower the suspension and I've got another bootlid, will get all the small bodywork bits sorted then.

Found this pic...

attachment.php

to add to my argument the wheels should be red!

Hmm! The colour is ok but its not a colour I would chose. If I paint the wheels it would just be too much!
Besides, if you colour code the wheels you need to get the colour spot on otherwise it looks rubbish.

Had a look at some real watanabe wheels on Yahoo auctions and they are all grey or black anyway. If I leave them as they are I dont need to do anything other than clean them. Less work is always a good idea! LOL!

Stuck the wheels on today. Think I'm gonna leave them as they are cos they look quite good.

Got them off an MX5 nut on retro rides, they arrived with Toyota centre caps and now they are on a Micra. I thought they looked quite JDM until someone pointed out they are off a Rover 25!:(

attachment.php

Stuck the wheels on today. Think I'm gonna leave them as they are cos they look quite good.

Got them off an MX5 nut on retro rides, they arrived with Toyota centre caps and now they are on a Micra. I thought they looked quite JDM until someone pointed out they are off a Rover 25!:(

well that wasnt very nice of them

Got Mrs. Getaways Micra in for its 'refit' next week so if I give her this to run about in it buys me more time. It will be for sale but want to modify it a bit. Doing the same jobs to K11s day after day gets a bit boring so modifying one every now and again is a nice break.

I've still got the Super S interior and Pulsar GTi-R brakes from my Black Super S. Now I have bigger wheels I'm gonna fit them!
Need to fit a cat to my Corolla to get it thru an MOT and sell it so I will be taking the 2nd cat off this one for it, while I'm under it I'll stick a bigger back box on.

Once thats done I'll maybe go for the Frankspeed/Daewoo suspension setup and get the blisters in the paint done.

Then I'll have to sell it before I get too attached! :laugh:

Managed to sneak a morning to do more on the terror today. Its been taken care of by Mrs. Getaway for the past week or so as her regular Micra has been having its annual refit. :(
1st job was the interior! The car suffered the standard uninspiring GX interior trim. Complete with fag burns, suspicious stains and collapsing drivers seat back. It had done the usual, the foam had seperated allowing the unpainted metal frame to tear thru and rust.

attachment.php

Bleurgh! So out it went...

attachment.php

Found 47p under the seats, so wasn't all bad!:laugh:
And in went the Super S interior we have carefully been keeping on top of the workshop toilet!

attachment.php

Changed the lot including the door trims!

attachment.php

Its back to Mrs. Getaway for the time being as I still have to have some paintwork to sort on her car. Next update hopefully will include some big brakes and suspension work.

Despite having a really busy week we managed to do a bit on our turquoise terror!

First to go was the puny pea shooter exhaust...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Big bore! You know the score! :laugh:

Next to get 'sorted' was the fuel system. We treated it to an adjustable fuel pressure regulator...

attachment.php

and some Primera 1600 injectors. They are the black ones. White ones are the originals...

attachment.php

Nice install!

attachment.php

Although, had to move the carbon canister...

attachment.php

ITS FINISHED!
However we had camera problems (I dropped it in a puddle!) so I cant show you the other work we carried out until I get to Argos.

We changed a few things for the MOT, fitted Pulsar GTi R front brakes, carbon fibred the bonnet etc.

Here is the finished article...

attachment.php

Its sounds fantastic, is noticably faster than the standard 1.3 and is a real hoot to drive.
We will sort out and post more pics before tomorrow night as thats when its going on ebay.

porkpie700

Buy & Sell Member
Pleeeeeeease change that colour lol.
I had the same idea with the bigger injectors for one of my k11s, but then i changed my mind because i would have had to increase the air intake to get the most out of it. Otherwise i'd have ended up with a dense shot of fuel that wouldn't have atomised properly. But seriously a nice metallic black or copper-gold metallic would look fantastic with that body kit.
Not too keen on the mr bean bonnet though :p

I have tried to make the most of the bigger injectors by fitting an HKS AFR thingy and using a 4 gas analyser to set the lambda to 16:1. I also changed the fuel pressure regulator and adjusted it slightly to combat pressure drop at high revs and increase throttle response. We dont have a rolling road but there is a noticable difference between the car with and without. We have cut the 2nd cat out and the 1st cat seems to be coping with the richer mixture. We set everything up then turned the AFR back down and carried out an MOT emissions test. It passed without issue.

We could have fitted the larger throttle body (we have at least one kicking about here) but there isnt an easy way to fit one and keep the car usable. Its ok if you have the patience and time to fit and set other throttle bodies up (like Franks ones) but we dont! There would no doubt be an increase in power if we did fit a larger throttle body but on a car thats going to sell for about £500 theres no point!:laugh:

I'm not a fan of turquoise but this one is growing on me. I think its because I remember how it looked when we first bought it compared to now.

Its not a Mr Bean bonnet! We done it to see how easy the stuff is to fit. Its not perfect but we left it because it will take seconds to remove should the new owner decide to. :laugh: