general problems :P

imp124

Buy & Sell Member
hi

my first problem.

sometimes when i try and start it up there is a awful grinding noise from the starter motor and the engine does not turn over, if i wait a few seconds and try again it usually fires up fine. I have changed the starter motor to no effect.

The clutch is very stiff when i try and puch it in, i have oiled the whole external mechanism fully and changed the clutch cable, also to no effect.

I havnt a clue what is up with both of thease and really want to get them sorted as they are really starting to annoy me

cheers

steve

frank

Club Member
steve

likely worn flywheel ring gear teeth.
and you will probably find the cause of the heavy clutch when you take the g/box off to fit another f/w :)

frank

Club Member
steve

you could get a new ring gear, but they are a red hot, shrink fit job, it,s a good excuse to fit a lightened f/w tho ;)

curtis

Ex. Club Member
so where would i geta lightened flywheel if you dont mind me asking?

cheers

Would have to be a engineering or machine shop type place, take an original fly and they will lighten it, but make sure its balanced as well!!

Changing the fly isnt hard at all really, just getting the bolts off the fly and back on is the hard part lol

I have a kind of similar problem. I can be driving down the road all fine and my engine sometimes cuts out (usually when slowing down or stopping). Then when i try to start it up again it doesnt start. To get it started again i have to put my throttle on full whilst i turn the key. It takes a few seconds but it eventually kicks in. could my carb be full of ####. Im completely clueless when it comes to engines and this is my first car and i love it to bits so all the help i can get will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
it wont be the flywheel, it'll be the starter motor :)

even my white k10 micra does this sometimes when its hot its just the starter motor is a bit tired in its old age

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
I have a kind of similar problem. I can be driving down the road all fine and my engine sometimes cuts out (usually when slowing down or stopping). Then when i try to start it up again it doesnt start. To get it started again i have to put my throttle on full whilst i turn the key. It takes a few seconds but it eventually kicks in. could my carb be full of ####. Im completely clueless when it comes to engines and this is my first car and i love it to bits so all the help i can get will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

That would be your distributer. Only does it when the engine is hot. Replace it :)

i have a similar starting issue. I am fairly certain that the starter is grinding across the flywheel instead of spinning it. why this happens I don't know, but I have seen another k10 flywheel chewed up from this.

The whole distributor. I had the same problems and a replacement solved them.

so this to me means; that its the vacuum advance (flying saucer) that is perforated...worstening when warm...?

the starter grating is a K10 nuisance! and it only does it when there's an audience!!!

IMO its a combination of the starter AND flywheel....but the biggest influence IMO is the starter motor......this has a gear that moves towards the flywheel and 'should' ultimately engage smoothly with the stationery flywheel cogs.......IMO the problem is not so much the wear between the engaging gears..(although this does effect successful mating)..but it is the 'force' and smoothness of the starter gear's forwards motion towards the flywheel gear.

---->if feeble or sticking....the starter gear will not mesh and will 'bounce' <the noise>----->if free and firm the starter will push the gear into the flywheel....and will engage at the first or 'next' cog slot rather than bouncing all day long

what I fear the most is the by-standers' oppinion (that you can read from their faces): "Oy mate try taking it out of gear first!"...Agggh

FUMES!!!!!

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
so this to me means; that its the vacuum advance (flying saucer) that is perforated...worstening when warm...?

I don't know what causes it to get worse when it's warm but it is a known issue. Speedle first told me when mine was mis firing. Obviously just to clarify and ensure there is no confusion, the distributor is not responsible for the grinding sounds, i'm on about the running problems :)