gearbox recon

stonesie

Grease Monkey!
The box on my car is makeing a whineing noise on acceleration in every 1 of its 4 gears that varies with engine revs, so most likley the input shaft bearings..... is this a DIY-able job? i have found another 4 speed box in the local scrapper with 55k on it for £40 or £50 if they remove it.

Although it sounds quite 'rally slag' its gonna go sooner or later, so is it worth repairing mine or should i just chance the srap yard box?

cheers i will ring them to get it off the car next week, my own has only done 59K but the previous owner had it for 18 months and had just passed his test when he got it......... safe to say its had some abuse:alien:

Apparantly my boss can get a clutch kit for about £40 from sheffield imported factors, it will be getting changed just so i know its right:grinning:

EDIT#

Found a LUK online for £27.34 +vat so maby £30 with my trade discount?? no question its having 1 now:grinning:

http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/

I paid around that, maybe slightly more for a brand new nissan one.

Scrappy isnt always the best idea, it could be just as crap as the one your taking off! My box was reconditioned earlier in the year, so now i know most of the parts within it are brand new and likely to last a very long time!

yep i know scrappys are not the best places to get things from, i am as certain as i can be thet the gearbox is fine apart from a couple of bearings so i might have a go at them myself when i get a quiet afternoon at work, using the scrapper box as a temporary measure.... if it turnes out to be ok i will either keep or sell the other.

Back