Gearbox oil

Hey all

I know this has been covered a while back but after searching which oil is recommended on here people are saying 75/90 gl4 after ring EuroParts they are saying the GL5 is better because it is fully synthetic and the GL4 is semi or mineral, after this conversation I'm a little confused now (doesn't take much)

What you guys recommended?

Cheers

Yeah i was gonna say would save me a few pennies as well, gonna be buying some cheap 10/40 to run through engine before put my redline in :) anyways

Cheers fellas will give it a go and for £25 from asda i can get 7 litres to run through engine and fill gearbox up (got a litre in the garage) happy days

Just as a side note. I put 80/90 in mine and it is too thick on cold days at startup. I dropped it and replaced it with 75/80 which seems perfect now. Both gl4 by the way. Just thought I'd let you know in case you went the gbox oil route in the future.

It's not that I couldn't select a gear when using 80/90, it was just that when cold and for example reversing off the drive, I had to stop the car rolling to engage 1st. That doesn't happen now. Also 1st to 2nd was more difficult when setting off.

slow from 1st to 2nd is definitely something i don't need, I'm slow enough off the line as it is probably more my reactions than anything tho :)

if your looking a cheap way out, use sunflower cooking oil, NOT vegetable cos it smells!!! and add alittle STP stop smoke to thicken it up and your done, use sainsburys cooking oil, the viscosity is better for the gears when changing, speciall on cold mornings!!

J

Back