GearBox Oil

Joe.Powell

Ex. Club Member
My gear changing is feeling really really blotchy, if you get what I mean, first to second feels like im going over some rocks in the gear box.

I can only think it might need oil? But firstly;
Where is the gear box?

How do I check if it needs oil?

How do I change / add oil?

Any Pics would help a bit aswell.

ollie240585

Ex. Club Member
My gear changing is feeling really really blotchy, if you get what I mean, first to second feels like im going over some rocks in the gear box.

I can only think it might need oil? But firstly;
Where is the gear box?
Under the bonnet, connected to the engine. If you look under the car you will see the drive shafts, these both connect into the gearbox

How do I check if it needs oil?
At the back of the gearbox there is the speedo cable, This is the only way into the gearbox, I believe the speedo cables acts as a "dip stick"

How do I change / add oil?
The gearbox Oil is added in through the speedo cable, you are best to empty the gearbox first though, then add roughly 2.5-3l of the top of my head. There will be a 3/8" (i think) square socket on the bottom or side of the bearbox.

Any Pics would help a bit aswell.

Questions answered above.

To empty the box there is a square female bolt (1/4inch ratchet size i think), open it out and drain the oil, the end of this bolt is magnetic too so it will have metal fillings on it.

The gearbox oil is put in where where the speedo pinion drive goes to, not just the cable, you can take the cable out first to make it easier to take out the pinion, just unscrew the cable end around the cable and pull the cable end out. Just behind where the cable goes there is a 10mm/phillips screw that needs to be opened. Just take it off and you will have to pull up hard (but gently)and square as the pinion drive is quite a tight fit and it even tighter with the resistance of oil.

Just top up up to the bottom of the pinion drive (before it overflows). Not a bad job at all really