Gearbox oil change?

Struggling to find good info on this. The cars a 2003 k11.

I'm assuming the drain plug is on the bottom under the car. People talk about filling through a 'speedo drive' but I've never heard of this or know the location. Anyone with info out there?

Also is there a filter or a magnet within the sump?

Cheers

Struggling to find good info on this. The cars a 2003 k11.

I'm assuming the drain plug is on the bottom under the car. People talk about filling through a 'speedo drive' but I've never heard of this or know the location. Anyone with info out there?

Also is there a filter or a magnet within the sump?

Cheers
I'm not a fitter but there's no way you top a gearbox up through the speedo drive. I'm pretty sure most gearboxes have magnets as well.

I fill my k11 gearbox via speedo hole, pretty straight forward.

drain gear oil via the 1/2" square drain plug at the bottom of the gearbox (plug has a magnet, wipe it clean of debris before installing back).
remove airbox to access the speedo cable at the back of the gearbox.
unscrew the speedo cable screwcap from the speedo gear module by finger (may need a big spanner if its stuck).
unscrew the 10mm bolt n pull out the speedo gear.

k550i-1627-jpg.29386

stick a long tube & funnel down into the speedo hole n fill with gear oil (bout 3L i think).

k550i-1628-jpg.32457

check the level by sticking the engine dipstick down the speedo hole till the level is at max.
reinstall the speedo gear, cable and airbox.

how would I go about deciding if I should go for this? IIRC mine's been changed around a year..tops 2 years ago when I had my clutch replaced..

Gearbox feels a bit clunky. I changed it in my old micra which was preface lift. I did it via the speedo drive.

I want to do it on my facelift to hopefully smoothen things out.

Can someone please show me the drain plug and fill hole on the facelift?

if the selection feels notchy, difficult to slot or resistive, check all the gear linkage bushes if they've rusted tight or rusted/worn slack loose.

I will do that along with the oil change. Im sure i read somewhere the manufacturer recommends changing it after 60k miles. Ive just hit 70.

Back