Gearbox end cover leak, new sump, and a few other problems!

Hello Micra people!

I've registered an account here because I'm about to help my aunt with a few problems that have cropped up with her 2004 Micra 1.2 S manual. She bought it at the start of the year, knows nothing about cars, and now has a long list of faults to sort for MoT. Wish I could have been there when she was buying it to get some of these bits sorted by the garage she bought it from! It is basically a good car but has a few defects which I'm going to fix for her because she has no cash to pay anyone else to do it - I hope you may be able to help me with a few queries - cheers in advance for any enlightenment you may be able to give.

First off is a, oil leak on the end of the manual gearbox. It looks like the seal between the gearbox itself and the black tin cover has failed, causing a weep of gearbox oil. Is there supposed to be a paper gasket there, or is it just a bead of sealant that has failed? I'm planning to drain the box of oil, take the cover off and then re-seal it.

The sump has also rusted to the point where it's dripping oil. I've bought a replacement, but what is the torque setting for the retaining bolts?

Finally, I've bought some replacement front suspension components - please could someone take a look in a Micra service manual and tell me the torque wrench settings for:

- Anti Roll Bar Ball Joint nuts
-Lower arm rear retaining bolts (the vertical ones)
-Lower arm front retaining bolts (the horizontal ones)
-Lower arm balljoint nut (that attaches to the front hub)

As I say, I'm very grateful for any help you may be able to give - I'm hopefully going to be able to keep the car out of a scrap yard for the foreseeable future, and also keep my aunt mobile, driving from Devon to Cambridge regularly.

Many thanks,

Simon.

Last edited:
Back