Gearbox and Clutch

Sorry guys, second daft question in as many days o_O

Having just purchased my K11 2002 1.0L Micra as a short term runaround I was told that it had just had a new clutch and clutch cable. My issues..........

The clutch pedal is quite hard. Is this normal?
The gear lever has no 'return spring loaded effect' to the natural central 3rd-4th position. The lever just stays where I push it :( Surely this is not normal, and if not, whats wrong?

The clutch should be normal (whatever normal is) and the broken under-gearstick spring is common ( as is a gear linkage that needs lubing ) :)

Thanks for your response Frank :) Sounds like the clutch is ok but I'm intrigued by the 'under gearstick' broken spring and a gear linkage that requires lubing. Are these jobs relatively easy and cost effective?

where's the clutch biting point? should be between 1/2 & 1/4 way up from the floor

when i once applied copper grease to the release bearing collar that it slides on, it resulted in dirt n dust building up into this thick abrasive paste which the bearing was having a very hard time sliding along.
this made the clutch unbareably hard/stiff to push down which wore out the pedal pivot, clutch cable and cable end until eventually the rivet pin at the end of the cable that hooks onto the clutch arm sheared off with a bang!

for a stock clutch it chould be smooth n feel light.

guide on fixing the gear return spring
http://micra.com.au/technical-articles/shifter-return-springs.php

if the gearstick feels stiff at all when selecting, the front linkage bushes that connect the selector bar to the gearbox are commonly rusted n seizing. just a case of unbolting or grinding the rivet bolts off to remove the universal joint, tap out the bushes and clean or wirebrush the rust off till they're smooth n regrease it up.
post 12 of my blog
http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/#post-381098

if 1st/2nd gear is hard to slot in and it rattles in 5th the bishes are worn loose and requires replacing (easiest to replace entire selector linkage with one from a better conditioned later micra but you must double check the linkage rod are exactly the same length n shape cos i think there are differences to the the preface/facelift or 1L/1.3L)

A great snippet of information thank you pollyp. Just returned from my local mechanics place where he said that the return spring would be contained within the gearbox so would be expensive :confused: From your instruction and photo's is easy peasy. A job for the weekend I think ;)

i think the guys telling porky sprouts and gettng the springs mixed up.

the tension spring located under the gearstick pulls it from left to centre (1/2nd to 3/4th) and most commonly snaps off.

the coilspring that the guy was thinking of is inside the gearbox that rotates the stick from right to centre (5th/rev to 3/4th) and is abit stiffer than the tension spring but I've never ever heard of or seen that coilspring fail

Now then..........I have a gear lever that literally goes where I put it, and stays there! i.e. from the central position (3rd/4th) I can push it to the left (1st/2nd) and it stays there. I can also pull it to the right (5th/reverse) and it also stays there. As I said before, gearbox itself is fine just no return spring either left or right. Are you now saying that I've got two springs broken?

No, not particularly stiff just stays where you put it. Unfortunately there is no way I can tackle this myself as I have no access to a ramp or even axle stands so I'm at the mercy of a garage :(

Anyone offer any further words of wisdom or better still, does anyone know a Guru with a Ramp or Pit. I'm not adverse to swapping folding stuff for knowledge and spanners if there's anyone in the Stourbridge area of the West Mids o_O

Next dumb question re this sticky gear lever.............Does the gearbox carry its own oil or does it share that of the engine o_O Sorry for being thick! If the gearbox carries its own oil that could be my problem. If thats the case next dumb question, where do I fill the gearbox (looking from the front of the car) and what oil do I use??

Thanks Guys

is the lever springing good when you lever to the right but floppy when levering to the left-------------the gear stick in the car you mean ?

This is really strange.......................The gear lever never returns from its central position. Across the gate to 1st and 2nd or across the gate to 5th and reverse. The gear lever does however feel so much more 'free" when the car is cold?? As it warms up it seems to become a little bit 'sticky'.
A mechanic had a look at it last Saturday and showed me the linkage knuckle joint just prior to the gearbox. It was red rusty so he dowsed it in WD40 which seemed to help (a bit). He also checked the return spring under the gear lever and confirmed that it had broken. He bent the end up and re attached it (to a fashion) but no difference.
I now wonder if the sticky gear lever when warm and the non springing across the gate is something to do with a lack of oil??

This is really strange.......................The gear lever never returns from its central position. Across the gate to 1st and 2nd or across the gate to 5th and reverse. The gear lever does however feel so much more 'free" when the car is cold?? As it warms up it seems to become a little bit 'sticky'.
A mechanic had a look at it last Saturday and showed me the linkage knuckle joint just prior to the gearbox. It was red rusty so he dowsed it in WD40 which seemed to help (a bit). He also checked the return spring under the gear lever and confirmed that it had broken. He bent the end up and re attached it (to a fashion) but no difference.
I now wonder if the sticky gear lever when warm and the non springing across the gate is something to do with a lack of oil??
mine is like this it sits to the left by 1st/2nd and5/rev without centralising and is stiff ish to move from neutral to either side and sometimes squeaks im sure its just the bush as i had a look when it was on the ramp to fit the new engine

Back