Gear stick problems

I have a 2008 Nissan Micra with 139k miles and I stupidly removed the four bolts which is connected to the Gear stick and now the gear stick has no feel and is hard to put in gear, can anyone help me or tell me how to sort this problem ASAP please due to the fact I need to bring it to get some body work done to it.
Is there a way to fix it or is there no way?
Can it also be fixed whilst it’s in the car because I don’t want to take it out ?

Last edited:
Flip it upside down remove the cover..
Press the plastic back into place might be awkward.
Replace the torq screws..
Should be working fine if you do it right.
Might take 10 mins or so.

Defo will go back together but you will need to reseal the under body plate so it is sealed from water etc
I assume that its not still connected to the car.

Edit:- My blog probably has some images of the inside of the box.
You won't be able to get it back in place without holding the part in place. As you screw it back in. Their are two parts and one clips to the inner of the plastic cover side. This will have a small circular shape.
One half of the mechanism falls out of that area. When those top screws have been removed.
Once you line them up it will go back together easy.
But at first you will find that it is a pain in the butt. To hold both items in place as you tighten down the screws from above.
An extra set of hands would help. Can be possible as I managed without any assistance.

To drop it out of the car you have to remove the 4 bolts only and it will drop to the ground so you have to guide it as you remove them. And then you would have to disconnect from gearbox end.
You also have to drop the exhaust at the nearest point. Giving space for the box to be fully removed..
I have added this so you know that way if your doing this you won't have any other problems.

Sent from my ASUS_T00P using Micra Sports Club mobile app

Last edited:
Flip it upside down remove the cover..
Press the plastic back into place might be awkward.
Replace the torq screws..
Should be working fine if you do it right.
Might take 10 mins or so.

Defo will go back together but you will need to reseal the under body plate so it is sealed from water etc
I assume that its not still connected to the car.

Edit:- My blog probably has some images of the inside of the box.
You won't be able to get it back in place without holding the part in place. As you screw it back in. Their are two parts and one clips to the inner of the plastic cover side. This will have a small circular shape.
One half of the mechanism falls out of that area. When those top screws have been removed.
Once you line them up it will go back together easy.
But at first you will find that it is a pain in the butt. To hold both items in place as you tighten down the screws from above.
An extra set of hands would help. Can be possible as I managed without any assistance.

To drop it out of the car you have to remove the 4 bolts only and it will drop to the ground so you have to guide it as you remove them. And then you would have to disconnect from gearbox end.
You also have to drop the exhaust at the nearest point. Giving space for the box to be fully removed..
I have added this so you know that way if your doing this you won't have any other problems.

Sent from my ASUS_T00P using Micra Sports Club mobile app
Can it be removed from within the car?