Gear neutral return spring

OP
OP
Whodafunk
Think it's beyond repair tbh. Found an Almera spring on ebay. Hopefully it's similar size. Just wanted to get the right one if poss

Hello, thanks to all the useful advive on here I have successfully fixed my neutral spring return.
When I removed the heat shield under the car I found that the spring was intact and in place, so I sprayed some WD40 and Grease around the area and now the gear shift is as smooth as butter and returns completely to neutral!!

Hello, thanks to all the useful advive on here I have successfully fixed my neutral spring return.
When I removed the heat shield under the car I found that the spring was intact and in place, so I sprayed some WD40 and Grease around the area and now the gear shift is as smooth as butter and returns completely to neutral!!
I will give it a go too this weekend. Mine is sticky too.

Can someone help me find one for sale? I don’t have any on the car and I need one ASAP! does Nissan have any in stock? Thanks

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
If you're lucky it might just be hanging off the end of the gearstick still like mine currently is, or wedged in between the heat shield and the body like it was the last time (mine falls off a lot)

well, when you smack onto the shifter, you can hear the springy sound from under the car.
all my micras had this.
I took a peak under the heatshield on my 1.4 last week, found that spring hanging down.
I honestly just removed it.
ratteling gone.
and I put it in neutral by hand. like in every other micra. no issues.
maybe I don't know how good it feels with a spring.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Micra Sports Club mobile app

I remember this ? within a week of getting the car this happened and it took me ages to figure out where the metal noise was coming from.

£26 for a spring? Almost Unbelievable! The price of not doing your due diligence search for some of these multipack galvanised assorted springs at £2 that will do the job just fine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/371967837686?chn=ps&var=640908719695

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/enclosures-storage-material-handling/door-hardware/extension-springs/

Quote; “Had to be done” ???

Thanks for the links next time i’ll Remember ? and really needed it as it was annoying lol

A previous old K11 that I bought 5 five years ago down the local car auction cheap as chips, the gear lever was floppy not centralising in neutral. I found the springs hanging in position with the other ends snapped off.

As referred to by Polly P above, a simple repair using needle nose pliers to reform duplicate the springs hooked ends and reinstated at zero cost.

My kind of ten minuet DIY easy job! :)

Last edited:
A previous old K11 that I bought 5 five years down the local car auction cheap as chips, the gear lever was floppy not centralising in neutral. I found the springs hanging in position with the other ends snapped off.

As referred to by Polly P above, A simple repair using needle nose pliers to reform duplicate the springs hooked ends and reinstated at zero cost.

My kind of ten minuet DIY easy job! :)
Yeah when I went underneath there was no spring there it must’ve broke or been misplaced as I’ve put short shifter on it