gear change trouble when engine at temp

I have had this for a month or so now,... on cold start and running before engine gets up to temp, my gear changing is fine,no trouble at all BUT, once my engine is up and running at temp, it becomes hard to get into any gear, i really have to push it hard to get it in to gear,its as though the clutch isnt depressed. sometimes i have to lift the clutch and try again or it give the grinding sound as i am trying to change gear. also, when u put it in reverse, it always gives that kind of clonking/grind sound. but once cooled down or cold start, is fine,not trouble at all.

Any ideas people?, i thought clutch may need doing but its not all the time, so cant be that. also though it may be the linkage but that would happen all the time i would have thought, not just when running at temp.

I'd start by giving her an oil change buddy, sounds like the oil is very dirty or too low.
Thick enough on cold to give a smooth change, but thins out, or is to low when circulating in the box.

Sounds like clutch drag. So not necessarily the friction material or pressure plate but the bearing. Usually this is where the grease in the bearing has perished. A clutch is far more likely to be at fault that a gearbox since the release bearing is what pushes disengages the gearbox from the clutch. Once it's worn out it can drag on the gearbox spline shaft.

Gearbox oil viscosity increases with temperature so that should ease the issue since the oil is thinner and moves more freely...

How is clutch pedal feel? Do you wait until the car is stationary before selecting reverse gear? Do you ever have to double clutch to change gears? Is the pedal high? have you adjusted the cable? Have you tested the clutch operation for slippage?

Reasonably common issue in general is selecting reverse while still rolling forwards grinding the gears in the gearbox to stop the momentum of the car. It's the same reason selecting a gear stops a car from rolling when it's turned off even without the handbrake.

Gearbox troubles are usually burned oil and worn gears. Both of these can create a low rumble noise or whining when driving.

have changed gearbox oil,all topped up with new, previous was still at the right level but changed anyway, BUT, am still getting the problem. i have had a few times where is feels like its not going to go in gear properly when the clutch is down. I am guessing that il have to change the clutch now really, i have had no signs of it going but iv 62000 miles and am guessing its time, what with the problems i am having, just strange that only happens when running at temp and fine when running cold.

When the engine and gearbox is cold the parts are tighter, once they warm up and expand they can start to slip, specifically the bearing. Tried adjusting the cable?

Clutch was gone at 40,000 in my car, as max wheeler says clutch cable or clutch itself. Nothing in the box that would cause a problem that would affect every gear.

Back