Gear assembly help please

I wanted to get a better look at the ball joint as shifting felt a bit notchy and dry, took the 4 torx screws out hoping to lift that plastic assembly off but I realised it's clipped in from underneath. The shifter assembly has dropped down and I can't get the screw mountings to meet up properly from above; do those 4 hex bolts and 2 plastic clips hold that plastic mounting in place?

If so, am I better attacking this from underneath? Just thought I'd ask as I'm on my way to pickup a trolley jack and some decent axle stands. Next time I'll just spray some silicone instead. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 90
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 92
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 91
Best way un clip from gearbox and then drop the unit out the torx screws are really awkward even this way. you wont struggle so much tho.
as far as I know its notchy because the knuckle that moves may have cracked I filled this and then greased after it was a nicer feel and I had no more loose feel to the gear stick.

check my guide and hope it works for you

Last edited:
Best way un clip from gearbox and then drop the unit out the torx screws are really awkward even this way. you wont struggle so much tho.
as far as I know its notchy because the knuckle that moves may have cracked I filled this and then greased after it was a nicer feel and I had no more loose feel to the gear stick.

Cheers for the info. Will see how I get on and update this thread.

UPDATE: jacked it up, dropped mid pipe, dropped centre heat shield and have serviced the shifter assembly. Will reseal with silicone sealant and a couple of screws.
Did you re-attach the heat shield? If so, what washers/fixings did you use? The material left for fixing back looks a bit knackered.

The heatshield is still attached well under my vehicle the only part of the heatshield that I'm missing is at manifold area this is a common area for them to corrode.
Sometimes I do hear a slight rattle from the back box after changing that from the mid pipe not sure if this could be the shield at back or just because the rubber hangers need adjusting.
I struggle with the mid pipe bolts they still need swap over and a down pipe replace.

Atm I'm considering adding the lower control arms at front end as I can hear bit of rattle when pulling away from uneven grounds not on road.
A few checks to be made to see what this is caused by.

Recently put the mats in the cabin they freshened it up abit.

I've added some blindspot mirrors for extra saftey while driving recently.

A few things need doing in the engine bay the gasket at top then spark plugs.
Once I've done all those I will do the back end suspension and axle bushings because those are ready for renewing.

The heatshield is on with some type of really thin circular washers they almost look like soda can tops?
I think the screws were only bit of the heatshield that look as if they might let the team down in future.
And if so I might decide riv nut or something similar to hold em on.
Where it is safe to do so of course.
Other than that the heatshield could be removed if it's really had it.

I'm not working on the car atm but thought I would write abit of info here since I'm not gettin on so much nowadays.

This is the item for fixing the heatshield in place not exactly sure if they use bolts or screws though.
They are spring washers and without these one would struggle to hold the shield in place without rattling or unwanted noise.
They appear as a universal item although you would be best to measure and have the correct items for best results.
Screenshot_20220620_184109.jpg

Thanks for the detailed replies. I took the heat shield out that's directly above the muffler on my 05 Micra. It was the only way I was getting the gear assembly out. Will take it with me in boot next MOT or service and see if it's worth fitting back on lol. Not fighting with it again on the floor. Will look into those spring washers, cheers.

Sometimes the battle is just to much for little visible improvements if you are able to get big washers over that might work I'm only guessing it may be light or heavy corroded or just the screws.
Not everyone keeps them some just remove the heatshield once this happens.