Garage referral or advice

Hi Micranauts,

I am a total newbie - both on this forum and in Micra ownership. I hope I've chosen the right forum to post this to. If not, sorry :devil:

First, my problem in short.
Head gasket is blown. Milkshake colour oil in the oil cap, bubbles from radiator, steam from the exhaust, overheating, losing water. I am fairly certain after a weekend of not wanting to admit that the worst has happened.

Car details: K11, M reg, +-80k miles, 1.0. Needs little attention here and there but not too bad nick (meaning I've owned and driven much worse cars). Bought it in November as seen so I'm not very happy that I got value for money. You win some, you lose some. MOT 'till August so I was hoping that it would last few more months, but alas...

As I see it, I have 3 options:
a) lose the car to some breaker or interested party and count my losses, lick my wounds.
b) have it fixed at some mechanic. I don't have a garage, live in London and don't fancy the idea of trying to do it in the street. Don't think the neighbours would like it either.
c) get a used engine/gearbox from a breaker, and get some mechanic to fit it for me - take more chances.

If I missed any options I'd be glad to hear from you.

My "some mechanic" around the corner said that a rough estimate to fix it would be about 350 quid. I'm not too sure if I trust him yet so herewith my first question: Anybody have somebody they'd like to refer me to in London? Anybody maybe want to do this for me? fwn Does the forum allow people to refer people? I think that spending 350 quid on a car I paid 600 for (probably paid too much for what I got, but hey) is pushing it a bit as I can probably buy another car in the same condition for the same price or less. Besides, I'm not sure if the car will pass the MOT in August, so that's probably something else to consider before having it fixed. I will definitely need some tyres among other things.

If you have any ideas, I'd like to hear from you. If you're selling an engine and want to pop it in for me, I'd like to hear from you. That, to me, sounds like it will be the least labour intensive option to squeeze some more service out of the old machine.

Thanks for reading my long sad story
Wim

frank

Club Member
hi wim

the easiest option is to replace the head gasket
and £350 in london is about right (half that anywhere else eh fwn )

At worst you would have to replace the head if it has overheated badly, it can be easily done in a couple of hours if you know your way round an engine and have the tools, I do most of my work in the street and it doesn't make that much mess, I reckon you should give it a go, you might get away with just needing a head gasket.

I might be able to help you out mate ;) where in London you live cause I've actually got a spare 1.0 not being used and perhaps someone that can pop it in for even cheaper. let me know either way what you want to do.

ScOpEz

OP
OP
W
I might be able to help you out mate ;) where in London you live cause I've actually got a spare 1.0 not being used and perhaps someone that can pop it in for even cheaper. let me know either way what you want to do.

ScOpEz

Hi Scopez,
I'm in Islington, N1. Would very much like to hear what you have to offer - I'll try to mail you through this system too. What condition is the 1.0 in? Mileage? is it still in the car and how's the 'box? And of course I'd like to hear about somebody who can do the job!

Cheers,
Wim

Thanks for the replies guys. Still not sure I want to do it in the street though! :glare:

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
scopez's engine wont work in your car as it is a coilpack ignition i think. yours is a distributer igniton

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
Sorry, I don't have an engine, but there are a few people on here looking to get rid of one, or failing that ,t there are plenty on eBay.
Craig

OP
OP
W
Hi Craig,

I'd like to hear what you'll be able to help with? The fixing? Would you be interested then in only doing the head for me?

Cheers!

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Change the engine. It makes much more sense, and will quite probably be the better long term solution. Its VERY rare for a CG10 to blow so I would just dump that block and get another.

OP
OP
W
Is the 1.3 heavier on fuel at all? I wouldn't mind putting a 1.3 engine in really, I'm not much of a racer so I don't really need extra power. Also I don't know if my insurance would go up if I "modified" the car. I'd say replacing it with the same engine as original keeps it original.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
sometimes the 1.3 seem to do better - not less mpg as you dont need to work them so hard.

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
Hi Craig,

I'd like to hear what you'll be able to help with? The fixing? Would you be interested then in only doing the head for me?

Cheers!

I could do an engine swap cheaper than a garage if you could source an engine, will have a word with a mate about it over the weekend.
Craig

OP
OP
W
Craig: that would be nice! I can get an engine from my local breaker for a fair price with a month guarantee... I'm also wondering about the condition of the gearbox (sometimes not going into 3rd easily, might just be the linkage) and CV joints (clicking when I'm turning very sharp). So by rights I should maybe just try to get a complete combo like that...

sometimes the 1.3 seem to do better - not less mpg as you dont need to work them so hard.

Ed, that makes sense and I've heard that before. Do you have a 1.3 engine available? And a 'box?

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
Hmm, a complete swap like that may be easier, although parts will cost more and if you're getting 2nd hand CV's there's no gurantee of their condition.

All sounds good to me though, you going to stick with the 1l?
Craig

OP
OP
W
Hmm, a complete swap like that may be easier, although parts will cost more and if you're getting 2nd hand CV's there's no gurantee of their condition.

All sounds good to me though, you going to stick with the 1l?
Craig

I think I would, except if I get a much better deal on the 1.3 or something like that comes up. Are any modifications necessary when changing 1.0 for 1.3? That is the problem what you're saying about CV's condition - mine isn't that bad yet - soft clicking only sometimes so maybe they'll be OK for a while...

frank

Club Member
wim

the cv joints on my super s were clicking like mad for 2 yrs before i broke the car
but if the boot is split they will be wrecked in no time

ollie240585

Ex. Club Member
If you did go for the 1.3 you would need to replace the engine, gearbox, drive shafts, clutch.

Where as if you just stuck with the 1 litre, it would probably make the engine conversion less time consuming.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Its possible just to change the 1.3 engine and use the 1.0 flywheel/box etc. Ok so the clutch will not be as great but it would probably hold the increase in torque ok.

Suze

Club Member (Trial)
wim

the cv joints on my super s were clicking like mad for 2 yrs before i broke the car
but if the boot is split they will be wrecked in no time

I did my CV joint straight away, about 3 weeks after MOT - the boot had split / been changed on MOT so decided to get it done asap!!!!

OP
OP
W
I could do an engine swap cheaper than a garage if you could source an engine, will have a word with a mate about it over the weekend.
Craig

Craig,
Any news from the mate?

Everybody else: anybody got a 1l engine for an M reg K11 they'd like to sell?

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
Ah, sorry, just seen you mailed me (I am terrible at checking that mail) mate is up for it, where would you want to do the swap though?
Craig

OP
OP
W
Ah, sorry, just seen you mailed me (I am terrible at checking that mail) mate is up for it, where would you want to do the swap though?
Craig

Oh, I thought he might also have an engine....
Well, I don't have space, which is the main reason I'm not doing it myself. Do you? Or him?
Thanks

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
Yes, I have space, however you'd ideally have to leave the car with me for 2-3 days so that it doesn't get rushed.
I'm ~20 miles from Isington, route planner says 50 minutes, do you think you could make that?
I may be able to get an engine and then you reimburse me for it?
Craig

OP
OP
W
Yes, I have space, however you'd ideally have to leave the car with me for 2-3 days so that it doesn't get rushed.
I'm ~20 miles from Isington, route planner says 50 minutes, do you think you could make that?
I may be able to get an engine and then you reimburse me for it?
Craig

I'm wondering if I'll make that, last time I drove it it took about 15 minutes before going into the red. Then it steadily climbed to go way over the overheat section of the meter. Stopped and added water etc but it steadily went over overheat again. But maybe I could give it a shot again - Take a supply of water and keep topping it up ;)

I've chatted to another guy who said he'd quote me on doing the head gasket only, but couldn't get hold of him since Tuesday. Sure I would be willing to reimburse you for an engine if you have one. Can you give me rough estimates of price, or mail me if you don't want to discuss all that on here?

I don't mind it staying there as long as it needs as it's just standing on the street right now anyways. There's probably a train I can catch if I come to drop it off? Where is this place you're at anyway?

If its overheated to that extent and then you've put cold water into it then the head has almost definately warped, a headgasket change will make no difference, it will need a head transplant at least,

OP
OP
W
If its overheated to that extent and then you've put cold water into it then the head has almost definately warped, a headgasket change will make no difference, it will need a head transplant at least,

:down: my fault. wonder if it's OK to drive it like that then...