GA16 enine sidemount troubling me

Hi,

I'm in the process of swapping a GA16DE in to a K11. I was told it is a bolt on, which it isn't but it really is the easiest engine swap one can do. I learn a lot of it but my excellent help has a deadline of july 1st. so I am in a hurry, I even have more work on another car that I can't do on my own... Please bear with me.

Basically the problem is this:
014-k11-morefitting4.jpg

I saw this picture in this topic:
http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/28723-Mulholland-fits-GA16DE-s

34384.jpg

How do I do that?

My build thread is here:
http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/44023-New-Micra-owner-in-Holland
:down:

If you seen in my blog, we just took the standard GTi mount and "shaved" the bolthole down enough for it to fit in to the Micra chassis mount.

There is a difference between GA and SR mount in how they connect from chassis to engine (GA has that big bracket around it, whereas SR hasnt) but Im going to assume that the GA mount is no way wider than an SR mount

Unless the GA mount is stupidly higher (which it might be) then it should be able to be "made" to fit.

I can't give a great deal of help as we are doing different projects with little differences like that.

You can try PMing the GA16 Micra guy from around here. His username is "laz912". He may be able to shed a bit more light on it than me.

Hope i have helped in some way lol Any other questions i may be able to help with, just fire away (Y)

Thanks, I'll PM laz.

It is just that I know there is somebody with the answer, I only couldn't find him.

And I hope my cross linking wasn't annoying. Also not planning to do that all the time.

And Scott, you can use the SR mount indeed, fit the long driveshaft and make room for the waterpump I suppose and the custom driveshaft will make it fit.

I have to keep the driveshafts. But learning Nissan motorswaps in general is a good idea, you never know what will hit me :glare:

No need to make room for the waterpump on ours. Fits fine.

Although if a belt ever needs changing then the engine will need to come out to change it.

Its tight... but it fits. Just

I really hope I also can leave the chassis intact having a non servicable waterpump. But it doesn't look like it.

btw, we used the GA16DE mount shown in the pic, resulting in a tranny mount (thus non proper fitting driveshaft(s))
014-k11-morefitting6.jpg

Note that the bolt through the mount is in the wrong place and the mount is rubbing the chassis. That is the result of using the GA16DE mount we indeed flexed down about 1cm.

Also for my latter post, I cross linked a bit, hoping to get more eyes on my topic, the more the better! Maybe the mods can move my topic to projects?

I received some good help today, finding a Micra sized mount that will bolt easy, might be not available so now I'm taking off the support of the mount welded to the chassis and use the support from the Nx.

We have fitted the gearbox mount properly, used the mountingbracket from the Micra's front engine mount, that will bolt on to the GA16DE (only with 1 nut, but we don't see a problem in that)

So the backmount should fit also, we didn't really look at that right now. Then with the jack supporting the gearbox, fitted the engine in the correct place to keep the stock driveshafts, therefore there is cutted in to the chassis a little bit, hammered that down and welded it back up again.

So with the GA16DE engine sidemount (not flexed less wide, it will rattle, I get another one) and welding the Nx 'support' on to the Micra it shoud be fine. I was told so (Y)

Keeping the powersteering isn't really an option, I have posted a pic of the amount of chassis that has to be cut away/ cut open in my topic, but it can be done of course, for strenght issues I agreed not to keep the powersteering. Heck, I don't even know if the Dutch 'licenseplate registrar' will refuse to put the 1.6 engine on the Micra paperwork, or even worse, telling me I can't drive it on public road this way. I also was told recently that the chassis has to be able to carry the extra weight is a requirement for getting the proper paperwork.

So for a SR20 swap this isn't a problem. It also wouldn't be for a GA16DE swap, but then all engine mounts won't fit anymore (maybe only the back mount) and atleast one driveshaft but probably both.

So frank, you are right about the clearance, the flexed mount isn't really usable anymore to us and I saw the pulley of the waterpump and the cutted chassis and told my friend that he cutted not enough, but he said, NO, it isn't. So I went like... uhm. Ok.

By not using the powersteering the GA16DE has, I need an alternator mountingbracket of a GA16 with no powersteering, like the Sunny 1.4, but there are also other Nissans without powersteering and a GA16

I hope that Laz will still reply my PM.

this is what puts me off doing a GA transplant tbh fwn needing engineer,s report/certificate and a highly loaded insurance :eek: for the sake of a measly front heavy 25hp, it never worth it surely ?

Ehm, no it is not worth it. It would be a little more then 25hp I suppose but AFAIK insurance won't go up for this overhere. I'm also guessing the front heavy isn't big deal but I'm not too sure about getting the paperwork 1.6 with all the cutting and welding.

I'm really curious about the gearbox what it will do with the GA16DE, I'm told but have no hard proof of this, that the Micra gearing is shorter in the first 3 gears and 4 and 5 are rather long.

But that is a plus overhere, I'm after good 0 - 60 times, a little beyond that is speeding anyway and I never really liked high speeds.

p.s. Yeah, it is a lot of work and it has some 'fixed cost' like fluids and wheel alignment for example, there is a dead weight sitting in the garden now which won't go away by itself but I did learn about welding, spray painting, how to remove an engine quick, my tools inventory got better, I learned about strength and structure, in future wiring the Ecu to the loom, the engine compartment received a full rust stop/ prevention, enabling me to bullet proof the rest of the car all on my own in winter for example and a lot of creativity boiling inside me right now, with 2 goals:

1. Old cars will need welding, spraypainting etc. sooner or later and recent cars are retarded to me. I'm a purist with a crave for powered windows and power steering, (not on the Micra though) maybe some CV and no friggin luxury crap like a talking TFT screen telling me I need to bring the car to the garage@ 459,131431452524645674 miles or any other ding ding crap.

2. This way I learn the basics for my turbo diesel oldtimer wish and will know what is needed, what to expect and what to find (like a service manual, wiring schemes.

p.s.2 I forgot to mention the coolness factor @ Micra meetings and that me aim at earning the reckoning to get further help from the underground pro's

p.s.3 Worth to mention is also for a turbo GA16 project, 180HP can be done. This is not my planning but that would be an insane 'lil' Micra.

Ok, I take back what I said about the effort that was needed to get a measly 27 extra HP.

It is worth it!

Today I went flat out with the Micra 1.6, I wanted to stress test it before driving far from home next week for a Micra meet.

And I was lucky, a MX-3 with the V6 wanted to race. (0 - 100 8,5s according to the Dutch 'Autoweek' database) The 1993 Super S has 12 seconds for it.

Not that I believe that 12 seconds for a 840kg 75HP car, that can be made lower, I'm sure. Also a bolted CG13DE is not a stock CG13DE but I was able to walk slowly away from the MX-3

So that means the Micra must be below 8,5 seconds, which is quite useful for traffic light sprints with other daily drivers! :grinning:

Ok, I take back what I said about the effort that was needed to get a measly 27 extra HP.

It is worth it!

Today I went flat out with the Micra 1.6, I wanted to stress test it before driving far from home next week for a Micra meet.

And I was lucky, a MX-3 with the V6 wanted to race. (0 - 100 8,5s according to the Dutch 'Autoweek' database) The 1993 Super S has 12 seconds for it.

Not that I believe that 12 seconds for a 840kg 75HP car, that can be made lower, I'm sure. Also a bolted CG13DE is not a stock CG13DE but I was able to walk slowly away from the MX-3

So that means the Micra must be below 8,5 seconds, which is quite useful for traffic light sprints with other daily drivers! :grinning:

vids or ban :grinning:

Good idea, I'll tape my digital camera to my steering wheel or something, my phone has a cam but there is no way to transfer the data to the PC.

I also have Datascan which can measure things but unfortunately my laptop is broken so this might take a while.

Imagine what this setup would do with the proper exhaust and some nice cams... lol

That's sweet, a GA16 in a K11? Makes me want to do a conversion like this to my next K11, instead of simply running it on carbs. Top work mate (Y)

It can be done better then I did micra_dan

I took the ghetto road, major on the engine side mount, this can be done a lot smarter. The stock CG13DE tranny mount seems like a good donor...

I am under the assumption you have been reading this topic:

At some point I believed it would be a great how to but it isn't, it can be done better. Also, I still have some clunks and squeaks to solve (but I can't be bothered right now) and the main issue is what to use between engine and gearbox, eg. flywheel and clutch, the wiring, I have a scheme and the engine side mount, the rest is pretty straight forward, you will have to build your own down pipe but all this can be done with the donor parts, no need to look for parts on the scrap yard.

Also, you will have to cut in to the Micra chassis and removing the power steering is the sensible thing to do. Note that if the donor engine has power steering you will have to look for a dynamo mount and crank pulley of a non power steering car, that can be a little hard.

Do you guys think it is worth to rewrite my topic in to something useful and put it in the correct spot on the forum? fwn

Still a good idea though, I'm sure you've done a better job than I would be able to do. That's why I was just going to stick with a 1.3 or bike carb conversion, much easier. Bet this is rapid though (Y). And yes, I have indeed been reading yor other thread :grinning:.

It might be worth re-writing it, yeah. Just in case someone else wants to try this conversion (Y)

Hmm, you made me uncertain about this.

How about making sure people can find my thread and that I will be available to answer any questions?

For the swap, with a lot of effort anyone will be able to take an engine out and put it back in, finding the smart and quick route there is where the challenge lies

One would need a donor car, a garage, a welder and that is about it... ;)

cutting into chassis tends to polarise opinions tho richard, you might open a can of worms :eek: (like the endless spring cutting debates fwn)

cutting into chassis tends to polarise opinions tho richard, you might open a can of worms :eek: (like the endless spring cutting debates fwn)

I don't think the spring cutting debates will ever end while we still have cars. I've just had that debate thrown in my direction :wasntme: :laugh:

But cutting into the chassis?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! #### that! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

p.s. I mentioned the stock CG13DE gearbox mount being a good donor, but I probably mixed that up with the stock GA16DE gearbox mount, I still have it and can post some pics, but for this swap the main thing is to use the Micra gearbox and axles unmodified. This is what makes this swap easy. Sorry for the confusion.

the GA engine is about 50mm longer tho aint it richard ? (and there is,nt a 50+mm gap :eek:)

I can post some pics if you like, using the GA16 mount just isn't smart, it is better to use a steel engine mount same size as the Micra mount.

This still involves cutting in to the chassis to make room for the waterpump pulley, but really, when the welding is done proper, this is the better way over using an electric waterpump..

Hi,

I'm in the process of swapping a GA16DE in to a K11. I was told it is a bolt on, which it isn't but it really is the easiest engine swap one can do. I learn a lot of it but my excellent help has a deadline of july 1st. so I am in a hurry, I even have more work on another car that I can't do on my own... Please bear with me.

014-k11-morefitting4.jpg

34384.jpg

How do I do that?

My build thread is here:

Hi,

014-k11-morefitting4.jpg

34384.jpg

How do I do that?

My build thread is here:
Does the engine fit straight into the engine bay with that inlet manifold on

Back