Future of the micra?!

Glenn

Ex. Club Member
I dont really know how well this thread will go down but thought it might be interesting to see what other people though.

I have owned my micra for about 5 years now, however i have just sold it for another car so am no longer a micra owner :down: I have been part of the MSC for about 3 years now i think and i have to admit that the ammount of modified micras seems to be getting lower, i remember coming on this site and there seemed to be a lot more modified micras, i dont know if it is me but i have noticed over the past few years a lot of people have sold their heavily modified micras and are moving on to other things.

Dont know if anyone else is noticing any changes? I just created this thread to see if anyone thinks the micra has much of a chance of staying in the modified scene over the next 5-10 years, it has been around 4 years now since they stopped producing the K11 and the K12 does not seem too popular to modify. Dunno if it just me but i hope there are still some modified micras around in say 5-10 years.

What does everyone else think?

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
(My opinions only) They will certainly never gain any real popularity. Nissan totally destroyed any chance of that with the K12, the softest looking Micra ever.
The K11 did well despite its boring uninspiring looks, there are some great examples out there. The engine was fantastic and had lots of potential - there are many interesting K11 projects still on going. A lot will happen this year.
K10 is pretty much dead now. Many are about, but good ones are few and no one would ever pick it deliberately as a base to modify. There is just no point for to many reasons to list.
The micra will also always be pretty much a first step car, and as such a tiny minority would buy one to specifically make it something special when nearly always they aspire to something bigger or faster from the outset.

Kev

Pro Cut Vinyl
Founding Member
Official MSC Trader
It's only natural that people move on.... look what I did, probably had one of the most modified K10's to be built and sold it and moved on to something bigger and more powerful.

Unless it's a March Super Turbo or say a 1.3 K11 Turbo, I cannot see people having the same Micra for over 5 years, I had mine for just under 3 years. Obviously there will be some that do, but heavily modified ones I don't see being owned by the same person for too long as they will move on and want to modify something different.

If people modify a Micra with bodykit, install and interior mods and don't do much with the performance aspect (which is not always that straight forward) many will move on to something faster as standard and possibly more appealing.

Personal opinion I think the ratio is about the same, apart from the K10 aspect of things, but again only natural as the car is very dated now.

There are lots of heavily modified K11's here, and lots being work in progress, you only have to look at the K11 blogs and photo thread to see this.

K12 is still fairly new and agreed isn't setting the modified scene on fire with it's looks, but give it time and I think there will be a few more around, especially when prices drop.

D4R73N

Ex. Club Member
I agree with Ed, the Micra... Where to start actully, Great cars reliable and cheap, however! Like Ed's pretty much said, they will never be as popular car for younger people like myself, All they want is Fiesta's 106's and Punto's etc... So basicly what im saying is The only future I can see for the Micra is an older generation and its a matter of that lasting or not, Nissan seam to be bringing out some models that could possible replace it.
Backing Up MY Point of Younger Drivers, My Car is for sale still after a month and hal in the garage, with what i've spent on it and whats been done, if that was a 106 or Punto, I reacon that would have sold within a week.

Feel Free To Blast Me With Your Views...lol

James

Chairman
One of my views is run a spell checker before you post ;)

But seriously, the K12 is going to be produced until 2009 and I've heard rumours around that it's the last "Micra" Nissan are going to produce. This could give them the opportunity to produce a new hatch with a "hot" version, shaking off the reputation the Micra tends to have amongst the bigger circles.

No doubt if Nissan replace it with a new name model we'll be there to support it (Saxo Sports Club did that with the C2)!

So although the Micras future may not be guaranteed, the clubs is! :)

It'll never be as popular with younger drivers because its seen as a 'granny car', but there will always be fans of the car just as there is with every type of car ever produced, i.e. the Mini, VW Beetle or Vauxhall Nova which were all cars for the masses or shopping cars, and in that fan base there will be those who wish to concourse it or those who wish to mod it to the max and everything in between, I have noticed that there has been a lot of members selling up to move on to other vehicles as they reach 22-23 years old, which coincides with the drop in insurance costs, I also notice that the phrase 'moving on to something better ' is used quite often which I find quite odd and a little saddening, I personally think the Micra is a superb car and cant see me wanting anything else for the forseeable future. If the evil tinworm or an accident doesn't kill my car then it will be passed on to my daughter in 4 years time when she's 17, she is absolutely obsessed with the Micra and I am sure she's not the only kid that is. I just hope that the Micra/March will be kept alive by enthusiasts, as it is in my opinion an important part of automotive history.

well seeing as i got a quote of 526 pounds fully comp to insure a 200sx today i will be moving on later this year but still have my k11 as they are great littel cars and i falling in love with myne...as my missus says 'ROXY' always comes first and my missus second,lol.

Long live the micra i say and i defo want more then one in my life time!

R05_Micra

Ex. Club Member
thats the problem nissan have had from the start. i mean we have:-

fiesta XR2i
pug 106GTI
saxo VTR/S
corsa SRI

plus others, what did nissan have? a 1.3 with 74Bhp or sumit calleed the "super S" which my dont that sound fast? IMO, nissan shot themself in the foot not doing a bigger btter sport model for competion and IMO that is how they dont get the respect/mod scene they deserved. Right, the K12. again big frogeyed hatch to take the rip ouf of, dont get me wrong they did have a 1.6 sport/sr/sport + n all other names its had but again, citroen (c2 VTR/S) vauxhall (corsa SXI 1.8 thing) ford (FIESTA ST) all with over 100Bhp micra? about 80 or sumtin aint it? and when 2009 roles round, the way its going up here (sunderland) nissan UK wont even win the contract to build the micra or whatever gay name they give it, they were luck with the k12 and the note and qushqui. i worked for MKL, nissans main interior parts suplier and they are down about 12million and i think that will close soon too. the "k13" or whatever will be more like a note because all "hot hatches" are now lookin like MPV's i mean look at a clio/corsa etc, all masic compared to the early '90's counter parts.

all in all the micra will probaly be nowhere near as powerfull as a corsa espech with the VXR out now or ford etc. the micra will always be a "gannies car" and "driving instructors car" and only people like us will keep the mod scene sorta thing going. nissan do some stunning and fast cars (300sx, 200sx, skyline) why dont they base a hatch on it like ford did with the fiesta ST (look at the GT40) anyways, rant over lol!

D4R73N

Ex. Club Member
Cant You amagine a Micra Keeping up with a Corsa VXR or Fiesta ST even...

Tbh, it would be laughed at, sorry but it would!

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it and be really impressed, BUT thats not how people are, they hear a Micra beating a VXR and they laugh... Thats how it is...

tse_adam

Micra Attitude
Nissan has always been good, the cars were reliable. they were the top motor manufacturer in japan until toyota and honda ran them over.

why the hell did they start this joint venture with renault is beyond me, money may be attractive but it has ruined the image further to the point where they will never catch toyota and co up. something money cant buy!

i was led to believe a new micra was on the way last year when autocar took some spy shots of it testing on a track somewhere??!! where did that go??

R05_Micra

Ex. Club Member
"Production of the Almera ended in November – just days before work on Qashqai began – and the Micra is expected to be phased out in 2009, with Sunderland facing stiff competition from other Nissan plants for the right to produce a replacement"

Sunderland today 22nd Feb 2007

OP
OP
G

Glenn

Ex. Club Member
So although the Micras future may not be guaranteed, the clubs is! :)

Although the club may be guaranteed, will the club actually have many members in like 5-10 years? this club is the micra sports club and personally i dont think there will be many modified micras around in years to come.

As R05_micra said:
R05_micra said:
thats the problem nissan have had from the start. i mean we have:-

fiesta XR2i
pug 106GTI
saxo VTR/S
corsa SRI

Personally i can see them cars being modified for years and years to come.

In terms of heavily modified micra cars on the net i dont really think that there are too many, one of the main reasons that i created this thread was because i noticed alot of the "heavily modified micra" owners are selling up. k11stew has sold/selling his micra, Titch is selling his, i read one thread that Alan (arnold) is selling his K10, probably the most modified K10 i have seen, Darren sold his micra, micra.jas in this thread has said he is selling his, goldstar has sold his, wilsonian has sold his, Micra_Marc has sold his heavily modified one.

Should i go on? I have just noticed with all these people selling their cars not many people have been replacing them with really heavily modified micras. Kristian being a major exception to this.

I can see the micra being around for ages, of course it will be they will keep on running and running. The "sports" side of it however i am not too sure of.

i disagree with the softest looking micra being the k12.
the k12 has also got the quickest engine to ever be in a micra (hr16de).the book times dont sugest this but it really is
i think the k12 engines wil be proven to be a good.its still early days imo
there is also more modifield k12's than you think

they will never set the modified scene on fire for the simple reason the k10 wasnt aimed at the right market to start with.

nissan have tried to make it more street cred with the new sports etc but it hasnt really worked.the damge is allready done in that respect
they are stil very popular and sell well with every other market apart from the young boy racer.
its a cheap reliable and very good car, k10 k11 and k12

as for the comment about the new bread of hoot hatches.the 160sr holds its own against astra vxr's 172 182's standard starlet turbos golf gti's..ect
i think the micra enthusiasts underestimate the k12 espescially the 1.6

Cant You amagine a Micra Keeping up with a Corsa VXR or Fiesta ST even...

Tbh, it would be laughed at, sorry but it would!

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it and be really impressed, BUT thats not how people are, they hear a Micra beating a VXR and they laugh... Thats how it is...

they do beat the ST they keep up with the vxr's and yes i do laugh

James

Chairman
No doubt if Nissan replace it with a new name model we'll be there to support it (Saxo Sports Club did that with the C2)!
Also, Arnold is certainly not selling his K10 lol. Ems is selling hers though...

And another also, rallying K11s is still pretty popular I think. Matt Humphris has a whole section of his Nissan dealership website for selling K11 motorsport components.

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
i will always have a micra :D i love them and even if i get a bigger car etc there is nothing really that can beat the micra when it comes to one person practicality....

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
i disagree with the softest looking micra being the k12.
Thats your view not mine!
s-racing said:
the k12 has also got the quickest engine to ever be in a micra (hr16de).the book times dont sugest this but it really is

No its not, the March ST is the quickest engine ever to be in a micra!

s-racing said:
they will never set the modified scene on fire for the simple reason the k10 wasnt aimed at the right market to start with.

If the ST was sold here, it would have been a classic (well is to those who know it) and the Micras image would be entirely different.

s-racing said:
nissan have tried to make it more street cred with the new sports etc but it hasnt really worked.the damge is allready done in that respect

Its possible to change the image. The trouble is the K12 is IMO too soft, you cannot give it hard evo style lines when the chassis alone is to high and too round, it just isnt taken seriously.

s-racing said:
as for the comment about the new bread of hoot hatches.the 160sr holds its own against astra vxr's 172 182's standard starlet turbos golf gti's..ect

Sorry but I think thats nonsense. It only has 110bhp. Thats much much less than any of the others.

why the hell did they start this joint venture with renault is beyond me, money may be attractive but it has ruined the image further to the point where they will never catch toyota and co up. something money cant buy!
Not so, Nissan were in SERIOUS financial trouble. Their cars were not selling and the future looked very bad indeed. Renault has entirely saved them from this mess. I think its fair to say if Renault had not got involved Nissan would have gone the way of Rover.

micras are everywhere its not hard to work out they sold very well.

horsepower isnt everything Ed. from what i have read you are not stupid at all,so why make such a bold statement to say its nonesense when i know its a fact.

what has a standard ST run a 1/4 mile in? i dont actually know but i would guess 16 secs???

i am running mine on sunday i will report back with a timeslip

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Standard ST will do 15.9 proven at Santa Pod. 0-60 is 7.7sec. (my modded one did a [email protected] mph and 0-60 of about 5.7) I guarantee no K12 standard will do that. And I am not talking nonsense. You have said the K12 1.6 will beat cars with at least 40BHP. That is simply not possible. The K12 is not particularly light either. I absolutely KNOW that there is NO hope at all of keeping up with a Astra VXR as, as its not easy for me to do so in my ST with near on 200bhp. As for golf GTi's some are possible, perhaps, and the same goes for some Starlets, perhaps. BUT definitely nothing else on that list.

Yes there are Micras everywhere, but that does not mean they sold well world wide, nor does it mean they sold well compared to over makes or even as expected. Although that makes no difference, if they are to be phased out in 2 years.

Good luck with your run on Sunday, perhaps you'll be the first to put a K12 time on the leader board :) Where are you racing?

ahh.at pod my time wont be "acurate" as im running at elvington not a real drag strip compared to santa pod.

i think i read a 160sr ran a 16.8 and he was a total novice etc.
i hope you dont think im trying to cause a fuss.i am not at all
best get a time up to back up my claims. :D

and i could get owners of audi s3, astra vxr,starlet glanza v,182 and 172 to post whatthey think of my car but i hate it when i see those sort of posts on forums,its pointless and they go on forever

thanks

micras are everywhere its not hard to work out they sold very well.

horsepower isnt everything Ed. from what i have read you are not stupid at all,so why make such a bold statement to say its nonesense when i know its a fact.

what has a standard ST run a 1/4 mile in? i dont actually know but i would guess 16 secs???

i am running mine on sunday i will report back with a timeslip

by the time you reach 60mph the fiesta will already have a 2 second lead and keep pulling ahead with its 140bhp compared to the micras 108bhp and the corsa vxr is about 3 seconds faster to 60 than the micra and has around 190bhp

s-racing said:
they do beat the ST they keep up with the vxr's
yeah in the same way primera can beat 350Z's and keep up with a R34 GTR. but then reality kicks in :doh:

P11SR20
these are not random cars i am talking about these are my friends cars and like i said i can get proof of my claims but i wont as i am not the sort to argue over the internet.
espescialy over a car.

i will gladly post my timeslips when i get them.

Antony

Ex. Club Member
yes darren 526 fully comp for a sr20det s13 200sz!

500 excess and me as only driver with 4 years no claims

i can get a pulsar for 1,100 fully comp

www.moneysupermarket.com

im 22, 1 years ncb, Skyline R32GTR £1100, Mazda RX7 Type R bathurstR £740!!!, Supra Twin Turbo 3.0 £900, Evo6 TME £1100, Impreza £1700 (<< daft) etc etc

me wants an RX7..lol

and the micra will be around for years to come cos when all the frenchie cars have rotted away the japanese micra will carry on forever.
and mine is due to be heavily modded being finished in 2008 sometime....

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Right, jumping into this convo a little late but first of all, im not selling my car - at the moment! i had planned to, but ive got further plans for it.

I know various things have been mentioned above, but my opinion is that Micra's have never had the sporty performance car image associated with them, you can tell thats true due to the fact a modded micra is a rarety, also, obtaining parts for them has been very difficult over the years, with the availably of parts slowly increasing - however it's a little too late. The K12 hasnt done the micra name many favours, due to the fact they are plagued with faults. If they released the rear engined one, that might give Micra's a completely different and more agressive image, but the name will always be associated with slow shopping trolly granny mobiles. This is why everyone's so shocked to see a fast or modified one!

Anyone who's registered here will know there in the minority group, when it comes to owning a modified micra. You'l probably get alot more attention than "another" off the shelfly done up Corsa etc, and you'l probably take more pride or something knowing you've done something that hardly any others have done. I love the fact my micra is probably the only one like it in Sussex, and although frustrating that it is you cant get off the shelf bits for it sometimes, its a good thing knowing the chances of seeing another one round here are very slim, and thats one of the reasons i want to keep it.

Micra's will continue to be around for ages yet, ok people move on, but there's always someone getting a first car, or a hand me down from a grandparent who can no longer drive, but its just life that people will move on and want something newer, safer & more comfortable. Those that appreciate them for what they are will hang onto them as long as possible

umm who said anything about selling up?

I was merrly stating i May own another Nissan later in life but STILL own my cg10de turbo hehe cus i love her like my girlfriend but think my micra passion is getting a wee bit to disturbing,lol

DAVEJUPP01

Ex. Club Member
well people i not quite sure wot i just been reading now lol i watchin a film 2.

anyway wot i do know is that wot has already been said i agree with,
it seems like every1 is pretty much saying the same thing just slightly different views

i also no and am proof of the changing of cars as i have had a micra now for a yr and had different cars b4 i even changed my car in august 06 for a vauxhall tigra 1.4 16v and now am going bk to my micra as i find it much more exciting and rewarding knowing that not many people think much about modding micra and there not 1 modded micra in my town (which i kinda like)

it also is by far the most reliable car i ever had too. so hopefully i will still be here modding micra and soon in the few yrs i will have it modded as much as some of the others on here really moddified lol.

Please dont use txt speak, cheers

Napster

And the Wide Green Bug
What every one said in here made sense just in different formats if that makes sense?

Over 2 years ago before I was even driving my mate owned the fastest K11 I do believe!!!?? "Mr Rob" had a red k11 micra that was:

Stripped out
Bucket seats
Jun Flywheel
janspeed manifold
exhaust system
Cube Cams

with other bits including handling properties and that changed how i saw the micra!!! it really did!!! Being in that car changed lots of aspects!!!
It wasn’t just how fast it was...... it was the fact that something as odd as I thought it was at the time could be so unbelievably awesome and fun!!!

I then decided that after I had passed my driving test I would buy a micra!! Simple as that!! So I did...nothing special. But was awesome anyway....

Then it got to the simple fact...I wanted something quicker!!! Like everyone else here has said.....

I must admit it was down to the fact that all my mates had better cars in my opinion...either heavily moded or faster!!!! :down:

This is what got me thinking and got talking to "Mr Rob"!!!! I nearly bought his car off him at one stage but decided against it!!!

the main factors that made me stay with the micra was because I wanted something like "Mr Robs" micra and I had already got "unique parts" (LED lights, NISMO Alloys etc) for my micra.

I had thought about changing cars to something different like a VTR (forgive me) only cause it was quicker and more parts to modify.....BUT I didn’t want it...I loved my micra and I had these parts so decided I would get a 1.3!!! (As told by "Mr Rob" as well!!!!

So I ended up buying an SR...If you look at my Micra blog its all there :laugh:

The main thing was I wanted something different and unique. Now I do believe I have achieved this.......like everyone else on this forum I am proud to be driving my micra.
I am now quicker than a VTR :love: so im pleased about that!!

I am really pleased with the outcome of my micra, how it looks, handles, drives!!

Like someone said here...I get a lot a looks....some people laugh grr (mainly uni guys)...but I don’t care to be honest...the cars designed to my taste!!! Ive also had people stop me and ask what the hell I have under my bonnet because they can’t believe how quick it is (im not lying)!!
now some of you must be thinking about that paragraph above and thinking "boy racer"......well please don’t......I have my fun like everyone else here and I know when things are dangerous so please don’t think anything less of me for stating the above!!!!! I treat my micra with respect and other road users!!!! i just wanted to show this saxo a little taste of Micra power (but if it had been dangerous to do so..then i wouldnt have done anything!!!!)

the images that change the "micra respect" are projects that prove peoples abilities....like the 2.0L projects.....and turbo projects.....these projects make me look up to people and puts a smile on my face!!!! Ive thought next would be turbo project for me...but that’s way in the future and may not even go ahead......!!!

When I told my mate about the 2.0L project he couldn’t believe it (that was Raceworks at the time)....he laughed...but that was a serious..."oh my god" type of laugh.......he said he would own one if they built them like that!!!

I feel ive come along way in the "Car world"!!! The things have tried, done, failed have all been a learning curve and it’s just made me want to succeed and do more to my micra...only to wipe the smile off some other drivers faces!!!!

Sorry and thanks

Napster

James

Chairman
Napster, that sums it up perfectly. You'd better pay up and get yourself to JAE this year so I can buy you a beer! ;)

Napster

And the Wide Green Bug
Napster, that sums it up perfectly. You'd better pay up and get yourself to JAE this year so I can buy you a beer! ;)

i thought my HUGH RANT / SPEECH was poor....but if you like it thats all that matters :grinning: !!!!

mate you dont have to buy me a beer, but that is very kind of you!!!

my apologies for going off topic
i am sure i would have a great time at JAE and just read a few posts on it and pics of last year!! however it is VERY FAR away......yes some people are probably traveling the same distance, more or less, but to be honest im not sure i could get it off and being in the company of almost all MSC Members.....and all those awsome K11's, i would have an OVERLOAD lol.

would be great to meet everyone...probably not the other way round tho lol :wasntme:

i wish i could go though!!!

napster

OP
OP
G

Glenn

Ex. Club Member
Right, jumping into this convo a little late but first of all, im not selling my car - at the moment! i had planned to

Thought i was right with that.

Arnold said:
obtaining parts for them has been very difficult over the years

This is one of the reasons i produced my site, i noticed a change in the ammount of modified micras so showing people whats avaliable i thought would help.

I understand most peoples views that it is nice to be different to all the other modified cars on the road, i just have a feeling that modified micras will become very rare.

I suppose only time will tell and i just hope in the next year that a few more people join the site that have micras that will make everyone talk about them. For example "little bandit" when that thread was first made everyone was getting well excited, also with raceworx's micra and kristians as well, just need to hope when the older members are moving on they are being replaced.

But yeah, only time will tell.

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
Bit late now, but like some of you have mentioned the micra is a cheap, cheerful car and ideal as a first car. The club has had many people willing to put in effort and do something different, but unless they bring out a hot hatch version, which I think must come soon, then they will never be considered "cool". What you also have to remember is that the style of modifying is changing again, big bodykits are out again, and the subtle, more standard style now appears to be the way to go. This obviously reduces the amount of people taking on big extreme projects. For me the micra was an ideal first car which became a bit of a love for me, cos it was something different, and something which I put alot of money into, but now I have the golf I would never go back, and looking back I shouldn't have wasted so much money on such an old car. Admitedly the micra was more fun to drive, as it was basically a box on wheels which you could shot about and it handled quite well for a 15 year old car, and if I won the lottery I would buy one and do it up. But in terms of build quality, the engine and the modern features the golf has, the micra just can not compare, and some people seem to enjoy their micras that much that they are not willing to buy anything else, partly because of the spirit of the club. I reckon though, if people did move on to a better car, they wouldn't be drawn back to the micra, unless it was something like a corsa lol. Also with the price of newer, more modern cars coming down somewhat, it means that the buyer has other options of buying "better" and better looking cars than the k12. Especially with the increase in hot hatches available of late.

Napster

And the Wide Green Bug
we have members old and young here!!!!! nothing wrong with that AT ALL!!!!

the thing is.....new young drivers who have just passed there test want a car!!!!

so because of insurance, tax, fuel, small engine.....parents buy them a micra (or something similar) im not saying they would always go for a micra!!! im just saying they go with that CAR SPEC TREND......: Small and cheap to run!!!

however.....depending on the person....boy racer lads / moding lads, want something they can mod and make faster....corsa....saxo, even if its a 1.1 etc...that my opinon tho...all though its kinda a fact!!!??

like people have said the micra is classed as (i dont want to use the word "granny car") more of an "Underestimated vehicle"?????

now i wanted to be different...my mates thought i did a wrong choice buying the 1.3 SR but little did they know i was planning on making it quicker than there cars (Y) and something hopefully unique!!!

what i was trying to say is.....it is hard to tell whether or not the future of the micra will be succesful or not!!!!!! but with other cars availble that are quicker and have more parts to modify it really is hard to say!!!

BUT i know that the MICRAS on this forum of all modles: K10, K11, K12 show other boy racers/ car enthusiast that micras are not push overs in the modding world!!!

and if i quote something from ED (in an email he sent me :wasntme: )

"Anything is possible"

and it shows!!!

Micra man: totally agree with the fact that driving another car would probably convert people from every buying a micra again.....but you have to take into the practicallity of the micra.

my option to stick with the micra is down to Everyone here!!!!! im not joking!! its not just the micra for me...its this forum to!!! the help, chat, converstions, meets.....are all.....all...very much apart of the MICRA scene and thats why i enjoy signing in and checking the latest news here

many other sites offer this i suppose but others just rant, take fun of other peoples cars / mods. im not saying this doesnt happen here, but its positive comments and feedback...nothing nasty!

sorry again
napster

Not posted on here for ages but Ive too moved on to bigger better things.

Like micra man I now own and drive a Golf Mark 4 1.8 Turbo (180bhp version).

Some people will remember me and some have even seen me, I did love my micra once upon a time ago, I was young then, with little money thus could not look at other cars. I even modded it to the extent of 2 different sets of rims, lowering, induction kit, I.C.E, colour coding, washing and polishing it every 3 days litterally. Would even do the P1 service every 5,000 miles. even made the effort once to turn up to a meet. so dont get me wrong I loved it, and respect the car solely for one reason and one reason alone, its reliabilty, it wont let you down. Other than that, the micra is no more special than any other supermini on the road.

and now...

I would never go back to it. removed all the mods I done and are sitting in the garage now. Back to standard now. I mean the golf is a dream to drive, once you drive that and then sit in the micra again, its not a nice feeling.

Like others have said, I believe the micra (or at least my one before anyone gets rowdy) is a stepping stone to other things.

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
Not posted on here for ages but Ive too moved on to bigger better things.

Like micra man I now own and drive a Golf Mark 4 1.8 Turbo (180bhp version).

Some people will remember me and some have even seen me, I did love my micra once upon a time ago, I was young then, with little money thus could not look at other cars. I even modded it to the extent of 2 different sets of rims, lowering, induction kit, I.C.E, colour coding, washing and polishing it every 3 days litterally. Would even do the P1 service every 5,000 miles. even made the effort once to turn up to a meet. so dont get me wrong I loved it, and respect the car solely for one reason and one reason alone, its reliabilty, it wont let you down. Other than that, the micra is no more special than any other supermini on the road.

and now...

I would never go back to it. removed all the mods I done and are sitting in the garage now. Back to standard now. I mean the golf is a dream to drive, once you drive that and then sit in the micra again, its not a nice feeling.

Like others have said, I believe the micra (or at least my one before anyone gets rowdy) is a stepping stone to other things.

Exactly right, and exactly my point of view also. Well put.

Anni golf = Me jealous. :( Both a totally different class to any micra by miles though.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Strange how you see things from other angles. I would never consider a swap to say any golf even an R32 from the March. They just have no appeal to me at all, even the hot versons are boring to drive by comparison. If I wanted true speed I would have an Evo or a Pulsar.

BTW this thread will not be allowed to go into a 'this car' is a better class than 'that car' etc..

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
No, I'm not saying about any cars been better than another, and like I said the micra I would say was more fun to drive, but the golf is so much nicer in many ways, there is very little road noise, its comfortable, much safer, bigger and plenty of tuning potential from an already fast car. :) All I'm saying is although I loved the micra, for me it was ideal for a car early on, but now I'm a bit older I want a car that has more modern technology and is more refined... the golf ticks every one of these boxes :)

Then again though, I never had a March hehe. ;)

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
I completely agree with you Dan. I must admit as I get older safety becomes a larger part of what I would want in a car, they become more of a practical item rather than a fun one. The novelty wares of a bit and you just want something that will do the job out of the box. I have to say a golf is very good in that respect, the march is not really a suitable day to day car. For that I have a Renault 19TD (shudder hahaha)

James

Chairman
I completely agree with you Dan. I must admit as I get older safety becomes a larger part of what I would want in a car, they become more of a practical item rather than a fun one. The novelty wares of a bit and you just want something that will do the job out of the box. I have to say a golf is very good in that respect, the march is not really a suitable day to day car. For that I have a Renault 19TD (shudder hahaha)
Doesn't exactly fulfil your safety criteria though does it? haha

OP
OP
G

Glenn

Ex. Club Member
hmm after reading all the comments on here i am wondering how sucessful the micra would have been if say for the K11 they put a 1.6 or 1.8 engine in it, i think they may have realised that they had to change something with the power aspect when they brought out the 1.4 ltr K11 may have just been too late for the micra though because of all the corsas and saxos etc being modified.

Would have def been interesting to see.

Antony

Ex. Club Member
whats surprises me is that little grub screw bung on the front of the CG block, is that for a turbo feed? cos it sits right where you need one. and if it isnt then why is it there??, did they want to do a turbo one? maybe to follow on from the ST and to compete with the starlet glanza? hmm

maybe well never know...

whats surprises me is that little grub screw bung on the front of the CG block, is that for a turbo feed? cos it sits right where you need one. and if it isnt then why is it there??, did they want to do a turbo one? maybe to follow on from the ST and to compete with the starlet glanza? hmm

maybe well never know...

if you're on about the 1 on the drivers side just below the rocker cover then yes this could be used as an oil feed for a turbo application

Napster

And the Wide Green Bug
i think everone may agree that if anyone who has left the micra would buy another one..... it would have to be a very special micra...whether that be an ST or K11 Turbo or maybe a 2.0L.....???

i know that i could not go back to a 1.0L micra....not after owning an SR!!! i would require another SR after this...however that would take sometime to find another one...and then i may not be able to find another SR.....so i would have to pick another car completly :down:

this is how cars go...if its not available at the time...i would need something different...however...thats when i could buy a honda civic, crx for example!!!
then i may not go back to the micra...depends on money i suppose!!

only time will tell

Napster

( I only hope i havent got bad luck from by saying that though)

daveeeeee

Ex. Club Member
dont get me wrong i love my micra but the other day i got behind the wheel of a glanza v and it just changed everything for me. micras are great little cars but there is just a wealth of much better cars out there and when i think about it, the money i have spent on my micra in total if i had saved it i would not be for off starlet turbo money. makes me think.

Hyundai

Buy & Sell Member
I don't really think the Nissan Micra has had any popularity in the tuning scene, obviously apart from the clear obvious. It's indeed a good place to start, if you're just getting introduced in to tuning or just generally just got in to Driving. The Nissan March ST, was and still is, a very good car. It just wasn't that popular. The average driver doesn't know about it, which makes it hard to represent the Micra.

It think it's all depending on this new March ST thing Nissan are advertising along with the new Silvia, we shall all see.

pjg1979

THIS IS MY BOOMSTICK!
All I can say is look at Mini, they had no idea that it was going to be such a hit, it's the same with the micra, I'm impressed how many people join every month and even more impresse with what poeple do to their micras. There Micra future is bright, the futures orange, thought I'm with T-Mobile, lol.

Bash1989

Ex. Club Member
Personaly i think we should try and advertise the msc as much as possible and get people to join, if i had the money i'd get a k10 super s as a first car. theres just not enough advertisement in my opinion (no offence)

capnmchl

Ex. Club Member
The way I see it, the Micra has been pinned with this stereotype of a coffin dodger car. It doesn't matter how good a car is, if it's widely stereotyped by people who drive in a certain way, then that's how people will see it drives.

The other day, I was following a Jap Box, which was doing about 35 on a decent 60 road, and I was thinking, "God damn these jap boxes these days are just driven by old people." Then it occurred to me I drive what's considered a jap box, and by that token, I should be driving at the speed of barely alive.

And because there's not enough people who do mod micra's, there isn't the "wow, those cars might be driven slowly, but with some cheap mods, can match something with 1.5x the capacity."

I was discussing the K11 with my friend a while back, and we both agreed, if Nissan had aimed at a younger audience, and upped the styling, especially at the back a bit more, and firmed the suspension up a notch, then they'd of had a saxo/corsa/106 topper. And with a bigger choice of engines.