Fuelling issues?

Hi guy's, i can pretty much guarantee that someone will have covered this at some point, but I couldn't decide on my problem lol.
Basically it won't start, most of the time, well it started a few weeks back but I could get it to start after a few minutes.
I turn the key an it goes nanananananananananananananananananananananananananananananananananananananana until i let off the ignition.
last night (well 6am this morning) i left work to come to a car that refused to start, tried bump-starting and allsorts (battery isnt dead)
Then i remembered Franks fuel in TB, so lacking a source of fuel at 6 am I took out my back seats opened up the fuel tank, and got a wee bit out for testing, and well, it worked sorta, but then it died again pretty much straight away.
So I put a bit more in and it wouldnt turn over :S left it half an hour and she choked into life,
I reckon its the fuel pump, got a new one for £30, so I'm gonna change that tomrrow and see if it helps, have used a fuel system flusher thing so I dont reckon i've got a build up of crap in the pipes chokin the engine of fuel, but something, somewhere is stopping the fuel geting to the engine :(
Any idea's?

OP
OP
Al Shore
hmm, is there a simple way of doing this or will I need to d/c a pipe from the fuel rail an see how fast it spurts out when I try an start her :p (I do apologise frank, up for 39 hours now, starting to lose it a wee bit) hence why i'm gonna change le pump tomorrow.
Just had a think on it, measuring fuel pressure I'm sure I've heard of a dash dial pod thing that can do this... I shall check the ebay!

frank

Club Member
you could pull the hairpin off the regulator on the rail, then gently lever it off and it should squirt a bit, or turn the ign on for a split second if it does,nt squirt

OP
OP
Al Shore
cool, ill give it a go in the morning,
once i got the car running she carried on all the way from brindleyplace to lichfield, and when i d/c the vacccum pipes from the fuel pump to get at the fuel, there was fuel in the lines, but this may be due to the action of the engine pulling on the vaccuum an thus sucking fuel up regardless of the fuel pump :S (at a guess and assuming the pump is at fault lol)
Thanks frank =D

OP
OP
Al Shore
Hokies, couldnt dislodge the clip so i took off a vac pipe from fuell filter to fuel rail as i figured it's gonna be about the same, an ye fuel came flowing, so fuel is being pulled along from the tank, you reckon its not the pump?
Just rang the mechanic to see if he'd have a chance to look at it, unfortunetly he said i can have it towed in, but he might not get a chance til a week on friday :'(
So i thought bugger it keep it here i bet i can get it fixed in the next 2 weeks, :p

OP
OP
Al Shore
dead ignition switch?
(IIRC ignition, ECU etc all need to be changed together? due to NATS)

WDID:
Right changed the sparks, when removing saw a heavy build up of wet, oily nastyness, checked oil level ridiculously high! (dont know how I havent topped it up in months) lols
so i did an oil change with the filter, starts, but it did before, going to take it to work tonight, chances are come 5am problem will have returned.
if anyones around broadstreet brum at 5am an fancies playin with a broken motor drop me a bell =D

OP
OP
Al Shore
well, took about 5 minutes of trying an resting but she started an got me home =D,
New sparks are already covered in oil, do you reckon it'll be a oil pressure issue, or seals etc? might be time for that 1.3 I've been thinking about :-(

OP
OP
Al Shore
took a 6 mile trip, an she wouldnt start again, had to get towed back with the missus an littleunrather gutted about this, I love the little micra, but cannot figure out the issue, got the mechanic coming out to look at it,
incidently, i pulled out the spark on far right to have a look, and it had a carbon buildup, and a whiteish powder coating the metal, but not wet this time, checked for fuel pressure, it comes out when i d/c a pipe so i assume all good, didnt have any fuel with me to put down the tb and with the car seat in the back couldnt really get at the tank,
Due to the spark being dry when i pulled it out i assue that it was wet with fuel before, and thus i had flooded te engine trying to start it, that would explain the funny pops coming from the engine everynow an again when i turned the ignition.
But this still doesnt explain why it wont start,
R-Reg, do I need to change the lockset with the ignition switch? Or can i change the barrel on the new ignition to take my old key, and thus not b*gger about with NATS? Think this may be my next step of diagnosis,
plenty of air getting in there, unless theres a blockeage in the fuelrail or the injectors there should be sufficent fuel getting in there too, maybe get a new set of coilpacks from a scrappy too see if that makes any difference :S

OP
OP
Al Shore
hehehe, b*gger, ordered it fed the baby, came back an saw your post lol, gutted
well it'll be here in like 3-5 days (fingers crossed) will have to hunt down a idiots guide on how to swop them hehehe =D
Anything in particular that I should be carfeul about when I do it? (I tend to be as careful as possible anyway. but sometimes there's a "knack" to doing certain things =D)

OP
OP
Al Shore
Yeah its a 1l an usually from cold.
garage has had it aince fro now, tjey say the injectors arent receiving sognal to squirt, tjeyve tested crank an cam sensors an say is the ecu got to wait til wed for the ecu to be tested, im struggling to see how the ecu could give out without prior messing but willbsee, starting to think it may be cheaper to get a new car :(

Had a 01 almera 1.4 at work last week, same problem and it was the ecu, no prior warnings just stopped. Took ecu out and opened it up and it was fried inside. Seemingly, its a bit of an issue with certain nissans but i didnt really look further into it. was easy to change ecu/key/ring so fairly sure micra would be the same. Only issue you may have is with the radio, if that is run through NATS then you will be changing that too...as i found out..lol.

OP
OP
Al Shore
sweet, well they're gonna send it away tomorrow, so I'll probably hear the same thing again on thurs lol, thanks for the heads up, I'll have a scout around for a cheap replacement, is it possible to do it without having to swop the locks on the car?
possibly just switching the chips in the keys over so it registers?

sweet, well they're gonna send it away tomorrow, so I'll probably hear the same thing again on thurs lol, thanks for the heads up, I'll have a scout around for a cheap replacement, is it possible to do it without having to swop the locks on the car?
possibly just switching the chips in the keys over so it registers?
Yes, chip can be swapped to your original key. I'd advise waiting until the garage is 100% sure its that first before you go jumping in though.

OP
OP
Al Shore
hehehe, ye trust! spent too much money swopping things on the off-chance, now have a small pile of goodies waiting to be sold lols. well, I've got accepted for a new tyota aygo, safe 5door BS for the family, so when the micra is fixed i'm gonna strip off all non-essentials for next stage of plan, sell original parts and purchase meself a pulswar for transplanting.
Then it's gonna take a couple o years to save up for all the custom driveshafts, engine mounts etc, but one day, I will have a 4wd micra =D

Ive not had any issues with 1.0 and cold starts ever (Ive had two) could it be a dirty ICV causing issues or maybe wax stat?

My idles quite abnormally high at the minute so i have an issue there?

But definately try ignit too!

OP
OP
Al Shore
Hokies garage have finally got the ecu back, an thats not the prob they sayin its NATS, since its taken them so goddamn long to deicfer the issue ive gone an got another car, so now ive got a lockedout micra sitting about, im gonna try the ignition swotch, but i am gonna be stripping the car an sellin all the bits so let me know if you want anythin cos its all up for grabs, gonna go down tomorrow an get it running again, will let you know exactly wgats goin on?