Fueling Problem - Urgent Help Please!!

Hi, I am new to Micra's but not to cars.

I have got an 87 D 1.0 GLS Auto for the missus and soon after buying it, it started behaving like it was starved of fuel.

I noticed that a hole has formed in the filler pipe and that there is bits of rusty metal in the fuel filter. I've changed the fuel filler down pipe for one from the scrappy (and I got a new fuel tank sender too as my fuel gauge wasn't working)

I've changed the fuel filter [which to my suprise (not) became full of crap again in a matter of minutes] but it's still as bad.

Someone has suggested I need to drain the tank and use an air compressor to blow down from the engine bay back into the fuel tank to clean it of any crap, then remove and clean out the fuel tank.

Could there be something blocking the carb? What's best to do about it?

I've not had a carb to deal with since I started driving many years ago and then I left the garage to deal with things. Now I like to have a go myself.

Micra 110

Site Supporter
Could there be something blocking the carb? What's best to do about it?

Buy another Filter to start with! lol!
No smoking....
Disconnect the Battery...

What your friend has suggested is a good idea......if you can get the Tank off, give it a good swill out but don't wait too long putting it back on otherwise it'll start rusting on the inside....

As for the Carburetor (remove the 4 X 10mm Bolts from underneath and associated Rubber/Plastic piping) The carb should be easy to clean.....use an airline, not too close tho' and blow all the dust and crud off the outside. Strip the Carb down and place parts in some clean Petrol, then blow out all the debris from inside of the Carb.....then flush with clean petrol

This company supplys Carburetor kits for the K10 http://fpuk.co.uk/products/Catalogues/carb/carbkits.pdf
This kit is for a Manual Choke only....of course, those wishing to change from automatic choke to Manual could always get one of these...http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mazda-Datsun-...590824QQihZ002QQcategoryZ122159QQcmdZViewItem

In case the link breaks for some reason the Kit number is J312 for a Hitachi DCZ 306

The Haynes manual has a good breakdown Picture of the Carb.

Hope that helps :)

OP
OP
L
Hi mate,

Thanks for the reply.

Ended up being towed home today. RAC guy said to change the carb instead of messing about with cleaning it.

Luckily my local scrappers had one in so I've put a carb from a manual K reg into my D reg auto - swapping the bits off the original onto the newer one.

It's running much better whilst driving except for a slightly lumpy idle, I guess this may be to do with it being set from factory for a 1.2 Manual maybe?

If it goes through the MOT ok (no mayjor problems anywhere else except emissions/fuel related), I'll get it set up correctly but at least its drivable now.

OP
OP
L
Yeah, just seems to automatically change gears at different points now so I think the autochoke thing on the automatic parts of the carb aren't set up right.

It's a bxxch to get going at first too which I suspect is due to the two inline fuel filters I'm now running!