Fuel low light. Never seen it working.

SuluR

Buy & Sell Member
Hey guys

I haven't been posting in a while, had a busy placement year and now doing finals! My sr is the same. No major changes to report.

Anyhoo, I've owned three micras myself, all preface lift. And I've been around eneough other micras to say I've never see the fuel low lamp working in any preface lift micra. Ive only ever seen a picture (i think on bugettes black sr blog). I checked the bulb in all three of mine an it's bugging me now. Anyone else Experiance this?

owned a prefacelift for 3 years untill i seen/realised it had a petrol warning light :) i had to get it down to running on fumes before the light came on though!!

pollyp

Club Member
the low fuel light is detected by this moisture sensor in the tank thats wired independantly from the fuel gauge. when it senses no more fluid is present it closes the circuit and lights up the warning lamp.

i'll check the circuit tonight but one way to test if you have it is to access the fuel tank cover under the rear seats, unplug the fuel gauge/sensor plug, IGN on, then short the 2-pins of the moisture sensor to simulate low fuel and check if the dash light comes up (that is if the bulb is present and working)

OP
OP
SuluR

SuluR

Buy & Sell Member
didnt now there was one, deffo not im my facelift k11, i have run out of fuel twice in it :D

A friend of mine had a facelift and it would light up as soon as it touched the red line, so still few miles left in it.

I have a 1994 Super S and that has a petrol warning light :)

How low does it go before the light comes on?

the low fuel light is detected by this moisture sensor in the tank thats wired independantly from the fuel gauge. when it senses no more fluid is present it closes the circuit and lights up the warning lamp.

i'll check the circuit tonight but one way to test if you have it is to access the fuel tank cover under the rear seats, unplug the fuel gauge/sensor plug, IGN on, then short the 2-pins of the moisture sensor to simulate low fuel and check if the dash light comes up (that is if the bulb is present and working)

Thanks for the post Paul, I don't really have access to the tank at the moment - also short circuit and feul tank in the same sentence sounds scary!

Im sure ive let mine go below the red line int he feul meter, but perhaps ive not been brave enough.

pollyp

Club Member
Thanks for the post Paul, I don't really have access to the tank at the moment - also short circuit and feul tank in the same sentence sounds scary!

Im sure ive let mine go below the red line int he feul meter, but perhaps ive not been brave enough.

your just touching the 2 pins outside of the sealed tank, tank isn't opened at all so tis safe

will try adding pics to help

mine lights up once it hits red then there's enough reserve for potentially 50-70miles of motorway driving
its also dependant on if ur gauge/moisure sensor assembly is fully inserted on its mount properly.

OP
OP
SuluR

SuluR

Buy & Sell Member
Pictures would be awesome. I might give it a try today. Is there a way to adjust the level it lights up at? I'm sure I've been very low on mine with nothing lightin up

OP
OP
SuluR

SuluR

Buy & Sell Member
Just an update. I connected a wire on the connector and indeed the light came on. It just might be that I've never taken it low enough Or the moisture sensor is naff.

I have a full tank at the moment (yes I was one who filled up to the brim last week). I'll just have to drain it.

On a positive note, my adventure under the back seat made me £5.21 richer. :)

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
yeh that little time capsule many k11's dont have, and the ones with'm in are done up and need swapping over

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
on my previous facelift you had to be right down on fumes to make it come up, ive never seen it on there but my mum assued me there is one as she has seen it a few times, in my new facelift it defo has one, it comes on about half way in the red.

OP
OP
SuluR

SuluR

Buy & Sell Member
Well I've just reached the red line. Got to do 30 miles. Will I make it? But more importantly will the light work lol. Place your bets

OP
OP
SuluR

SuluR

Buy & Sell Member
Bad news. Had an unexpected emergency and had to fill up. Will try use it all up again.

Is it wise to do that? I've heard there can be a lot of crap built up at the bottom of the tank.

Mine comes on half way into the red and I normally try to fill up after that... Most I've ever driven with the light on is just home from work (about 11miles) and then to the petrol station the next day? Anyone know how far it'll go once it hits the red? Mines a 99 facelift 1L...

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
ran out the fuel today on the mileage below
no light came on, have to change in the good ol slx sender unit
Image000-1.jpg

sure it can can over 400 miles

It can do over 400 miles, just depends on the driving and conditions. City driving I find a tank gives me about 350ish too. Did work out though, my petrol light came on other day and I filled her straight up. Took 36 litres to fill her, they have a 42 litre tank so petrol light (on mine anyway) should come on with around 6 litres left, which I calculate to be about 50 - 57 miles depending on driving of course...

This will vary on model/engine size obv. Mines a 1L '99 Face-lift...

Hope that helps?

Well guys,

my old 1.0 LX (19 Years) can run well into the red before the light come on,

The other week i ran it into the red and then went to fill up (needle flat on red) if the tank capacity really is 42 L, then when i filled up 40 quids worth (about 30l down here) my car was full (Like to the brim after clicking the handle loads lol), which means there was like 12l left at the bottom of the tank iirc o_O, the fuel guage is well borxed lol.

OP
OP
SuluR

SuluR

Buy & Sell Member
Update: light does work! It came on after being sat on red for a while. Gave me 12.5 miles before spluttering to a stop. I always thought micra tank was 35 litres?