Fuel Filler Pipe (corrosion)

T

thekore

Hi Guys,

I'm having an issue with my fuel filler pipe neck, the type of issue that results in leaving a small pool of petrol on the forecourt everytime I go to fill her up. The filler pipe is quite corroded and can easily be seen from under the rear passenger wheel arch. Its trickling around the neck of the filler just under the overflow pipe.

Now is it easy to replace this or will Gun Gum or some other repair paste be able to fix this? Obviously I dont need a air tight seal, but I need a seal strong enough to stop flow. Recommendations would be apprieciated :)

Thanks in advance

it needs replacement really, it is a bit of a hazard with petrol being a bit combustible, but there is a type of putty called Petseal which can be used for tanks and filler necks, it does work, but I wouldn't want to use it as a permenant repair.

Well, im hoping for a temp repair until November when its MOT is due. But looking at a replacement then, is it a job that can be undertaken on my own? What costs are involved and what the worst that could happen?

its easy enough to do, get the back of the car up on ramps or stands, undo the clamp at the top and bottom and it should pull off, replacement is just the opposite, make sure the tank is empty though !!! as for the worst that could happen, well if petrol drips onto a hot enough surface, say a brake drum thats been seeing some serious use, it can easily ignite and it'll cause a fair old bang. If you are going to use Petseal or some other compound, then make sure the area that it's being applied to is clean and dry, and give it time to go off before putting any fuel in it.

Well, I finally got round to fixing the thing with a little J.B. Weld, has worked as a temp repair until it goes for its MOT in November :)

pretty sure the filler neck on the micra i am breaking is almost new as the owner i bought it from said he had replaced it just before i bought it (4 months ago)

would you be interested in it if its in good order?

Back