Fuel filler neck leaking, Nissan no longer make them?

Trying to get a new fuel filler neck for a 1995 Micra, but Nissan said they dont make them anymore?
There are a couple of used ones on Ebay, but I want new really. Do you think it would work if I gave them a late K11 chssis no? Id have thought they would be the same for all years of K11?
Thanks

solarice

Ex. Club Member
I'd personally find a secondhand one from a scrapyard. I know when i asked Nissan about one for the K10 they were VERY expensive. All filler pipes should be the same though, so getting one for a later car i dont think will cause any problems :)

I don't think it's one piece all the way, and it's only metal at the top. Can't imagine it's the metal piece that needs replacement, more likely the rubber bits lower down in the wheel arch right?

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
Agree, on my K12 the neck is metal but between it and the tank is just a long rubber tube with a clamp on each end :)

solarice

Ex. Club Member
Nah the K11 (and K10 iirc) is metal all the way til the 90 degree hose at the petrol tank...I've had mine off to rust treat / protect it.

It was starting to corrode up near the top, in my case it had caught all the mud etc from the rear wheel...pretty much just like the rear sill areas that collect mud and start to rust. :)

sleeper_ss

Ex. Club Member
£40 from E Bay that's a liberty..I'll start saving them from any breakers in future.
Just removed & restored mine,wasn't bad at all,bit of surface where the paint had flaked & round the welds.Cars in the south have a much easier time judging by the underside pics I see on here...

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
From the manual it just looks like a tube with a jubilee clip at each end :).

solarice

Ex. Club Member
hey guys how much hassle is it to replace a fuel filler neck? and whats involved?

Theres the rubber surround to remove up at the top (keeps the filler centered in the access area), iirc two bolts (these are behind the plastic dust / rock cover), and two jubilee clips, one to release the 90 hose and one for the breather. That and the obvious methods to reduce petrol loss.

i had this problem on the almera gti , it was rotton with a huge hole in the side, ok when driving but leaked at the petrol station. couldnt find the same pipe for the gti so used a primera p11 -144 pipe. slightly different but it work's

Theres the rubber surround to remove up at the top (keeps the filler centered in the access area), iirc two bolts (these are behind the plastic dust / rock cover), and two jubilee clips, one to release the 90 hose and one for the breather. That and the obvious methods to reduce petrol loss.

cheers very much will get onto that asap :) will let you know how it goes! :)

nissan have discontinued this product as have many non-gen supliers, you could remove, allow fuel to evaporate off and weld patch if its not too damaged

Hi
Did you fix it in the end? I have an old A reg Nissan Micra with the same problem - it leaks fuel when I fill up and is fine when I'm driving. Is it all metal or a rubber pipe? I'm planning to track one down from a breakers yard and take it to a garage. Anyone know how big a job it is to change and so how much I can expect the job to cost roughly?
Everyone I know thinks I need a new car cause I keep having problems but they don't make Micra's like they used to and I love it!!!
Thank you,
Emily

I repaired mine with car body 2-pack catoloy & fine fibre glass mesh 4 years ago & jobs a goodun using old stuff laying around in the shed at zero cost!
Thank you, you sound very clever! I wouldn't know where to start with even getting the part out! I'm gonna take it to a garage but there's a bit of a wait list at the mo. In the meantime, is it dangerous to drive around with this or will it be ok for a couple of weeks do you think? My Dad said I've gotta be careful cause fuel is flammable etc but the fuel tank is some way from the engine and I'm sure it's only the neck leaking cause it only happens when I fill up. I don't want to risk it though if it's dangerous and can just get the train for a couple of weeks.

Thank you, you sound very clever! I wouldn't know where to start with even getting the part out! I'm gonna take it to a garage but there's a bit of a wait list at the mo. In the meantime, is it dangerous to drive around with this or will it be ok for a couple of weeks do you think? My Dad said I've gotta be careful cause fuel is flammable etc but the fuel tank is some way from the engine and I'm sure it's only the neck leaking cause it only happens when I fill up. I don't want to risk it though if it's dangerous and can just get the train for a couple of weeks.

Try refilling it quarter or half a tank to avoid the neck leaking down.

Also refuel it slowly controlling the fuel nozzle to reduce the necks propensity to leak when refuelling.

Get a firm fixed price quote as garage costs may render the repair uneconomical.

Good luck! ;)

Try refilling it quarter or half a tank to avoid the neck leaking down.

Also refuel it slowly controlling the fuel nozzle to reduce the necks propensity to leak when refuelling.

Get a firm fixed price quote as garage costs may render the repair uneconomical.

Good luck! ;)

Thank you, I'll try that. So will it be quite a big and expensive job do you think, if garage costs may render it uneconomical? How many hours work do you think it would be? (I just have no idea and what to know whether the garage are quoting a reasonable price - when I ask them to look at it). Thank you and sorry to ask more questions!! I've also contacted a breakers yard to see if they have a neck filler part cause I was planning to turn up to the garage with the part and ask them how much it would be to fit it. Thank you

Quote; “I just have no idea and what to know whether the garage are quoting a reasonable price - when I ask them to look at it”

A fuel filler leak would be an instant MOT failure & needs to be rectified ASAP.

May I suggest asking a relative or reliable friend who is experienced with running old cars to get quotes?

My 46 years motoring experience has informed that the car garage trade are in business to maximise profits at every opportunity taking the uninformed for a ride & would rather sell you another vehicle as that is more profitable then repair anyone’s old car?

The only time my 22 year old K11 sees a garage workshop is for the MOT test & I watch them like a hawk, never giving them the opportunity to create or claim profit enhancing unnecessary additional work. I then do any necessary repairs myself.

As always do your own research & make your own good luck as the watchword when managing your dealings with the car repair garage trade. (y)

Last edited:
I'm just about to replace the filler tube, this one is well rotten and thought I'd just share a few images of it for anyone interested. I was going to sell the car as its now getting a bit tired but I thought NO, Not just yet.. So anyway thought I'd just share a few images of the filler tube for those who might just get the smell or leaking of petrol.
What I will mention, anyone thinking about repairing this problem with any type of filler, Just be aware of any bits falling inside the filler tube and making its way down into the petrol tank, then either blocking the fuel line or filter.

Just an update Just want to share with you the experience of fitting one of these pipes but if your not happy about doing it yourself then take it to a garage supply and fit or you supply letting them fit for you.
For those out there looking at this pipe.. Its a two pipe unit, of Breather(Smller Tube) and your main Petrol filler pipe (Bigger Pipe)
Remove petrol cap before commencing work.
Do not allow anyone to smoke any where near you while working in this area of the vehicle.

Run the Petrol tank down to almost empty so the petrol dial is almost touching the bottom in the red.

Losen wheel nuts, Only until the nut moves..... Jack up car just enough the wheel off the ground so you have a good view of the area you are working.
(PLACE AN AXLE STAND) on the side you are working, Do not place under the floor.
Check hand book for correct safe jacking points.

With car safely raised leave jack in place (NOT YOUR ONLY SUPPORT) AXLE STANDS AT ALL TIMES.
Now remove the rear wheel.
You will see two bolts securing this pipe one on the top is to body, the bottom is into chassis..

You may find that the top bolt will be seized which may just break away if there is any corrosion here, that happened to me but not worry its pretty safe with one bolt, the pipe ain't going no where.

So loosen/remove jubilee type clips, the breather pipe had a springy clip on it I kept a pair of pliers compress the clip and slip back over the pipe.
I reused that clip.
Get something strong plastic and work between rubber hose and metal pipe, so with the two bolts removed grab your pipe (Sounds Bad)!
Jiggle (another funny word)

Work that rubber lower hose, and metal hose until both loosen, twisting motion on metal pipe.
Its just a tad awkward refitting, mainly your upper rubber seal round the filler neck just remember which way round that goes if it comes off/out. Yes i know it can only go one way but you would be surprised!

Roughly depending on how easy the bolts come out its about half hourish.
You get one chance with those two bolts especially the one at the top..

Important make sure you use a good quality socket mainly a 6 point 12mm.. Do not use a 12 point 12mm socket.. You want that socket to have a very nice tight fit on the bolt, round them off and your stuffed.
I'm sure they were 12mm bolt heads, Oh well someone here will correct me if i'm wrong.
ABSOLUTELY NO HEAT ON THESE BOLTS!
HIGHLY EXPLOSIVE VAPOUR .
I take no responsibility for you blowing yourself up.
Work Safe/Be Safe!

Attachments

• Nissan Micra K11 Petrol Filler tube cowling.jpg
    Nissan Micra K11 Petrol Filler tube cowling.jpg
    601.2 KB · Views: 210
  • Nissan Micra K11 Petrol Filler tube rot Image 1.jpg
    Nissan Micra K11 Petrol Filler tube rot Image 1.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 242
  • Nissan Micra K11 Petrol Filler tube rot Image 2.jpg
    Nissan Micra K11 Petrol Filler tube rot Image 2.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 217
  • Nissan Micra K11 Petrol Filler tube rot Image 3.jpg
    Nissan Micra K11 Petrol Filler tube rot Image 3.jpg
    443.9 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
I'm just about to replace the filler tube, this one is well rotten and thought I'd just share a few images of it for anyone interested. I was going to sell the car as its now getting a bit tired but I thought NO, Not just yet.. So anyway thought I'd just share a few images of the filler tube for those who might just get the smell or leaking of petrol.
What I will mention, anyone thinking about repairing this problem with any type of filler, Just be aware of any bits falling inside the filler tube and making its way down into the petrol tank, then either blocking the fuel line or filter.

Just an update Just want to share with you the experience of fitting one of these pipes but if your not happy about doing it yourself then take it to a garage supply and fit or you supply letting them fit for you.
For those out there looking at this pipe.. Its a two pipe unit, of Breather(Smller Tube) and your main Petrol filler pipe (Bigger Pipe)
Remove petrol cap before commencing work.
Do not allow anyone to smoke any where near you while working in this area of the vehicle.

Run the Petrol tank down to almost empty so the petrol dial is almost touching the bottom in the red.

Losen wheel nuts, Only until the nut moves..... Jack up car just enough the wheel off the ground so you have a good view of the area you are working.
(PLACE AN AXLE STAND) on the side you are working, Do not place under the floor.
Check hand book for correct safe jacking points.

With car safely raised leave jack in place (NOT YOUR ONLY SUPPORT) AXLE STANDS AT ALL TIMES.
Now remove the rear wheel.
You will see two bolts securing this pipe one on the top is to body, the bottom is into chassis..

You may find that the top bolt will be seized which may just break away if there is any corrosion here, that happened to me but not worry its pretty safe with one bolt, the pipe ain't going no where.

So loosen/remove jubilee type clips, the breather pipe had a springy clip on it I kept a pair of pliers compress the clip and slip back over the pipe.
I reused that clip.
Get something strong plastic and work between rubber hose and metal pipe, so with the two bolts removed grab your pipe (Sounds Bad)!
Jiggle (another funny word)

Work that rubber lower hose, and metal hose until both loosen, twisting motion on metal pipe.
Its just a tad awkward refitting, mainly your upper rubber seal round the filler neck just remember which way round that goes if it comes off/out. Yes i know it can only go one way but you would be surprised!

Roughly depending on how easy the bolts come out its about half hourish.
You get one chance with those two bolts especially the one at the top..

Important make sure you use a good quality socket mainly a 6 point 12mm.. Do not use a 12 point 12mm socket.. You want that socket to have a very nice tight fit on the bolt, round them off and your stuffed.
I'm sure they were 12mm bolt heads, Oh well someone here will correct me if i'm wrong.
ABSOLUTELY NO HEAT ON THESE BOLTS!
HIGHLY EXPLOSIVE VAPOUR .
I take no responsibility for you blowing yourself up.
Work Safe/Be Safe!

Attachments

• 20210409_190329.mp4_snapshot_00.01.jpg
    20210409_190329.mp4_snapshot_00.01.jpg
    512.7 KB · Views: 191
  • 20210409_190329.mp4_snapshot_00.16.jpg
    20210409_190329.mp4_snapshot_00.16.jpg
    436.2 KB · Views: 328
  • 20210409_190329.mp4_snapshot_00.43.jpg
    20210409_190329.mp4_snapshot_00.43.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 202
  • 20210409_190329.mp4_snapshot_01.01.jpg
    20210409_190329.mp4_snapshot_01.01.jpg
    584.3 KB · Views: 207
  • 20210409_190329.mp4_snapshot_01.04.jpg
    20210409_190329.mp4_snapshot_01.04.jpg
    538 KB · Views: 193
  • 20210409_190329.mp4_snapshot_01.19.jpg
    20210409_190329.mp4_snapshot_01.19.jpg
    411.7 KB · Views: 216
  • 20210409_190329.mp4_snapshot_01.29.jpg
    20210409_190329.mp4_snapshot_01.29.jpg
    511.1 KB · Views: 178
  • 20210409_190635.mp4_snapshot_00.06.jpg
    20210409_190635.mp4_snapshot_00.06.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 196
  • 20210409_190635.mp4_snapshot_00.09.jpg
    20210409_190635.mp4_snapshot_00.09.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 278
Thanks for the detailed post bubba, it will come in handy when I change the pipe. I just noticed a slight leak on the fuel filler pipe when I filled up. Going to order a new one from Ebay. -99 K11 with 205k km.