Front panel replacement

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
Right-o, I'm about to replace the rotten front member on my k11, had a look about and there isn't much in the way of guides so, anyone got any tips/advice from when they did theirs?

Ta

Depends which bit you're replacing, i've replaced the whole front and just the lower section...there's nothing really to say other than if you see a spot weld grind it off and undo the bolts that go through the sides.

I personally used one of those mini jack hammer type drills (i forget the name, can you guess?), it makes a hell of a noise but with a chisel attachment it goes through pretty easily. :D

If its just the lower section its more fiddly and there's a lot of spot welds to drill out.

It becomes very obvious where you need to attack to get it to come off once you start taking everything apart. :)

I'm going to go the whole hog seeing as I have an entirely new front panel - I'm thinking of plug welding the new one on as that's closer to spotting it - good idea? I managed to shear one of the bolts on the side and one crumbled inside my socket wrench so looks like the angle grinder will be coming out!

I have a fancy spot weld drill bit that I will be using too with plenty of pictures to come :D however this is what I am dealing with :(

Attachments

• IMG_0422b.jpg
    IMG_0422b.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_0417b.jpg
    IMG_0417b.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 210
Bit of a delay in replying...one thing to do if you haven't already started, is draw around where the old one is so you know where the new ones supposed to go.

That's how i welded mine back on (just matched the number of spots to new holes) :) While i was at it though i pretty much welded up any areas the new and old panel lined up lol.

A fancy spot drill will deffo speed things up. I had a normal drill, a grinder, a few hammers, a chisel and the mega drill. It still took ages to defeat lol.

Bit of a delay in replying...one thing to do if you haven't already started, is draw around where the old one is so you know where the new ones supposed to go.

That's how i welded mine back on (just matched the number of spots to new holes) :) While i was at it though i pretty much welded up any areas the new and old panel lined up lol.

A fancy spot drill will deffo speed things up. I had a normal drill, a grinder, a few hammers, a chisel and the mega drill. It still took ages to defeat lol.

Not a bad shout at all, I will get my marker pens out...

Back