front cross member?

solarice

Ex. Club Member
Has two bolts at each end iirc (at least i think they are related to the cross memeber, been awhile since i replaced mine) but it is also spot welded around most of the contacting edges.

So i guess mostly No (to the "does this bolt on/off" question) :D

Can buy anywhere repair parts are sold tbh...price will vary so have a look about.

joesouthgate

Super Moderator
Club Member
it is 4-6 bolts (2-3 for each tow eye iirc) and a lot of spot welds. If you can't weld best thing to do would be to get everything off (bumper etc) drill/chisel the welds then bolts the new one on and drive it to be welded, would be the least cost.

OP
OP
sammyboi

sammyboi

MicraMachinePower...
Thats the one I've bought, off ebay!

Does it need to be welded for the mot? Or just bolted?

Thats the one I've bought, off ebay!

Does it need to be welded for the mot? Or just bolted?

joesouthgate

Super Moderator
Club Member
needs to be welded mate, but a garage will charge #### all if you do all the leg work, you can drive it not welded just not very far.

OP
OP
sammyboi

sammyboi

MicraMachinePower...
Ah, ok then. I'm just trying to cut costs as got quotes £150-200 for the cross member repairs to be done. Just figures if I can change it myself it'l be wayy cheaper!

Will have to see how much it'll cost for spot welding...

Ah, ok then. I'm just trying to cut costs as got quotes £150-200 for the cross member repairs to be done. Just figures if I can change it myself it'l be wayy cheaper!

Will have to see how much it'll cost for spot welding...

joesouthgate

Super Moderator
Club Member
it will need mig welding mate.

I bet those quotes include a few hours labour. As i said, i bet a garage will mig it in about 5 mins for £20 as long as you do the rest.

kennierobo

Buy & Sell Member
it would depend on garage doing mot, I was advised just to do the 4 bolts up 2 either side and use pop rivits to replace spot welds, went through test no trouble. Plus I had one for test last month and they rekon the cross member no longer comes under test seemed strange to me but they passed it and to be honest the back of it was all rotted out.

OP
OP
sammyboi

sammyboi

MicraMachinePower...
The people doing my mot seem good! They are picking out all the small details too, which is a pain as theres more stuff to fix, but i like it as i like my car to be 100% road worthy as i rely on it every day as its my only car!

Ill have to ring up local welders monday, see what they say. Then ring up mot peeps and book in for the free re-test they promised!

Just need to sort the emissions problems now...

sleeper_ss

Ex. Club Member
How bad is the rot?You can cut out the infected area & plate up if it's not riddled.
The labour charge is dear because of the stripping out involved,if you got the bumper off it would be a good start for them...
The crossmembers have holes in the top which let the water in,when it's fitted use these holes to squirt some waxoyl inside then put tape over the holes to keep water out.
You can protect the section before giving it to your welder with paint/stonechip etc. provided you keep a few inches away from the ends where it will be welded.You can touch the welds in afterwards...You can get stonechip in aerosols which gives a good finish & you can paint over if you want..
Have you tried a new (expensive) lambda sensor or a low mileage secondhand item for your emmissions problem?Or try taking yours out with a 22mm spanner and cleaning it with some carb cleaner & taking your car for a good blast before the test to clear the cats & exhaust out...

Found this guy on E Bay with aftermarket sensors for K10's,(Item number190304894755) I've mailed him to see if he's got for K11's as I want to try one on my car.Gotta be worth the £20 ish he sells for.

OP
OP
sammyboi

sammyboi

MicraMachinePower...
Some helpful stuff there sleeper ss!

The new cross member should arrive today, so im going to be dismantling it all once ive slept/woken. Fingers crossed for sun sun sun!

I only bolted mine and it went through the MOT.
Used sealant around the other joints to prevent any water getting in.

The crossmember sits inside the front suspension legs and has 2 or 3 large bolts on either side, so isn't going anywhere.

Sprayed with several coats of primer and stone chip paint.
Few pics http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/28638068

Good luck with yours.

My crossmember was completely rotten, but was passed through MOT (a few days before i bought the car )
took it back to MOT gagrage to quiz them but they had passed it as it was was more than 15cm away from any safety brakes/ suspension parts
They put a new one welded on for me for reduced price £120
I dont know if they felt guilty for passing the car through the MOT, or sorry for me being ripped off with my car purchase, but i didnt complain.