Front Brake Upgrades

Snikty

Site Supporter
So am I right in assuming I can go with either N14 pulsar/cherry (AD18V) or the GtiR (AD22VF) brakes?

If so, are the GTiR ones overkill? I understand they are a fair bit heavier.

Also what exactly do I need for the upgrade? Just disks and calipers or do I need things like master cylinders and hubs?

I also intend to have 13' wheels on the car in the near future...would that affect putting bigger brakes on?

Cheers

gtir brakes are too big for 13 inch rims, what i did for mine was actually try my 13 inch wheels on a few cars and found that the biggest brakes i could get in the 13" wheels were off of an early n15 1.4 litre almera/pulsar, but theres 2 types over here the early ones had 232mm disks ( the ones you need for 13" rims) and the later ones had something like 247mm which dont fit.

hope it helps

That is a big help, thanks superls.

I just had a quick look, would that be the ga15 almera/pulsars?

Offtopic: while I was just looking at n15 stuff I saw there was a jdm pulsar with a non turbo sr16 engine in it that put out only 3kw less than the non turbo sr20. Only 1000 made, pretty sweet.

first thing i did when i got the ST was transfer the N14 ADF18v calipers from my K11 micra onto my march ST, pretty much the same setup (vented) but bigger, newer and the history known

go to the wreckers, get a good set of calipers, get your mechanic to put new seals in them, buy some good vented (And slotted too?) rotors for the front and away you go

as for pads i prefer ones that aren't too aggressive as its mostly around town driving and its nice for them to last a while, plus the cars so light its not like it needs really bitey pads

each to their own tho!

PS man go to bed its 3 in the morning haha!

That is a big help, thanks superls.

I just had a quick look, would that be the ga15 almera/pulsars?

Offtopic: while I was just looking at n15 stuff I saw there was a jdm pulsar with a non turbo sr16 engine in it that put out only 3kw less than the non turbo sr20. Only 1000 made, pretty sweet.

no mate ga14.

Snikty don't be a ##### and get the gti-r breaks there are the job.Although if you want the 13" wheels go for 100nx 240mm grooved discs and EBC greenstuff pads for a suzuki swift(same pad) I'll try dig up part no's

Ok cheers, guys.

Yup I agree about the pads smidge, I dont strap mine around much so no need for em to bite too much.

Ok I'll check out the ga14 ones and the 100nx ones for when I look at 13s. Might just put that off for awhile.

I've got 15s on atm so no worries with putting the GTiRs on. Will they fit on 14s also??

Ok cheers, guys.

Yup I agree about the pads smidge, I dont strap mine around much so no need for em to bite too much.

Ok I'll check out the ga14 ones and the 100nx ones for when I look at 13s. Might just put that off for awhile.

I've got 15s on atm so no worries with putting the GTiRs on. Will they fit on 14s also??
You won't have much joy looking for GA14 Pulsars/Almeras in Aus as as far as I know the GA14 was only sold in Europe, the rest were all GA16, although I think they use the same brakes. GTi-R brakes are the nuts though, I've been in Eds ST with the GTi-R brakes and it really does stop!

And yes, the SR16VE is a great piece of engineering, the SR16VE N1 has 197bhp and before the S2000 engine had the highest specific output of any engine ever!

You won't have much joy looking for GA14 Pulsars/Almeras in Aus as as far as I know the GA14 was only sold in Europe, the rest were all GA16, although I think they use the same brakes. GTi-R brakes are the nuts though, I've been in Eds ST with the GTi-R brakes and it really does stop!

And yes, the SR16VE is a great piece of engineering, the SR16VE N1 has 197bhp and before the S2000 engine had the highest specific output of any engine ever!

the later ga14'd almeras share the same brakes as the ga16'd cars but the early ga14'd cars had smaller brakes, i.e. the ones he wants to fit under 13" rims.

Yeah after I did some looking around I decided the 100nx set up that baz was talking about would be easiest for me to do here in Aus. As there was no ga14 and as james said, only sold in europe.

But I'm thinking I will just go for the GtiR upgrade now, it'll will be easiest all around and if I intend to squeeze more power out of the car it'd be wise to go for the best brakes I can get. Just need to find some nice 14's now...after I thought I'd found the 13's I wanted :(

And the sr16ve is just amazing, I'd love to see one in the flesh that someone has played around with. I've been told they can be made to rev really high also.

Back