• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

From Beast to BBQ

SR_Micra_Boy

Ex. Club Member
Afternoon all, had a couple of requests for this, so its about time I did something about it.... Gonna be updating this over the next couple of days so keep watching.....

Im Neil, Im 24, married with a 1 yr old daughter. I have owned two micras in the past, a black 1.3 v reg Si, and a black 1.3 p reg SR, I now own a black Almera Gti.

Here is a rundown of how my Nissan Micra SR turned into a BBQ, I hope you enjoy it.

I bought the car around March 2003, it was in good condition bar a few minor scratches and had around 65k on the clock, I paid around £1500 fro the car (I think, lol). First thing I did when I got home was start to take some pictures and modify it.

DSCF000006.jpg

DSCF000005.jpg

DSCF000003.jpg

DSCF000002.jpg

First in were my red seat covers, stereo, brake light mod, and the calipers painted red.

DSCF0016.jpg

DSCF0020.jpg

DSCF0021.jpg

DSCF0025.jpg

DSCF0034.jpg

OP
OP
SR_Micra_Boy

SR_Micra_Boy

Ex. Club Member
Next on the mod list was a nice set of alloys from Halfords which cost me around £400 inc tyres, not sure on the date these were added, but it didnt take long.

DSCF0089.jpg

DSCF0091.jpg

DSCF0092.jpg

Also a pic of the breaklight fitted

DSCF0100.jpg

OP
OP
SR_Micra_Boy

SR_Micra_Boy

Ex. Club Member
Ive always been into my micras ever since I first the first modified k11 within the club in around 2000 when I had my first micra. This car was to be no different. I started to organise meets within the lcoal area (North East for all micra owners to attend, as they started, they continued to grow and grow and they are still running now over almost 3 years on. The first i think was may 2003.

I had meshed the front end of the car and it was lookign alot smarter (thats me on the left of the pic) I also met up with Rich (at the time norfolkbroadslim) at powerflow and got a 4.5" jap slash cut backbox put on from the cat back

Visits around scrap yards allowed me to get my first splitter for the car which i think suited it really well, this was the first of the main body mods (pics taken at a local meet)

neils1.jpg

neils1.jpg

zorst1.jpg

Alienfish360

Awesome Dawson
SR Micra Boy, did your Micra have NATS? If so what modifications can you get away with? Also are you able to use external electronic controllers?

OP
OP
SR_Micra_Boy

SR_Micra_Boy

Ex. Club Member
More and more mods were added as the meets became more often, a new install was created as I love my music, it was all custom made and this was the first to be installed in this k11. I also had detailed a few bits of the car red to go with the black and red theme.

MVC-005F11.jpg

MVC-003F11.jpg

MVC-001F11.jpg

1111.jpg

The car hadnt been lowered by this time, but it was in desperate need of it.... taken at NENM2 (North East Nissan Micra Meet 2)

MVC-008F.jpg

MVC-007F.jpg

MVC-003F.jpg

OP
OP
SR_Micra_Boy

SR_Micra_Boy

Ex. Club Member
More and more modifications came, the insall was finished off, clear rear lights and indicators were added

install.jpg

install2.jpg

install3.jpg

A new front bumper anmd sideskirts were also ordered for the car as I always wanted a kit for it, these were added early 2004 i think.

edit1.jpg

OP
OP
SR_Micra_Boy

SR_Micra_Boy

Ex. Club Member
After the kit was put on I attended one of my first shows which was in the north east, more of a legal cruise, alot with micraman and a few others.

315383_101_full.jpg

DSCF0129.jpg

DSCF0133.jpg

DSCF0134.jpg

DSCF0151.jpg

At which point I saw this and fell in love, I knew the owner and from talking to him thru the aoc, but this was the first time I saw his car and I fell in love

DSCF0162.jpg

Unfortunately thats the end of my lunch time, but I'll hopefully back on later to update further..... Any other pics of the car would be greatly accepted from other members to add to my library, ie meets etc etc.

scottish-sr

Ex. Club Member
Agreed, really nice to see the History of the car. This is one of the nicest Micras I've seen. Good idea showing the history of your cars and the mods you have done.

R

Ray1

Wow.. thats was an interesting bit of history...nice car.. nice pics...re the caliper paint.. i wouldnt mind doing that to my car also..do i have to take the calliper off? i hope its just a case of taking the wheel off n just painting! but somehow doubt it!

OP
OP
SR_Micra_Boy

SR_Micra_Boy

Ex. Club Member
I just took the wheel off and painted, but please avoid getting paint on the brake caliper itself tho...

It aint finished yet, by far! Will continue more tomorrow, still a lot to go, but need to do it during my lunch hour as it takes a lot of attention etc, take it this way, I got so interested in it today, i forgot to eat my lunch, lol....

Here's a few more taster pics, and there's one of the in of me aswell with my good mate lenny, Im the hero, lol

add4.jpg

add3.jpg

add2.jpg

mod3.jpg

mean micra

www.mightymicra.co.uk
mmm... almera gti...

thats the one i want next... i keep looking for a bargin but they all down south...

i like the pre facelift one but that one is the daddy, with better lights on back...

btw your car inspired me to find that bumper and fit it... and that pic with toilets in bground was my desktop for ages and on my phone...

nice work...

OP
OP
SR_Micra_Boy

SR_Micra_Boy

Ex. Club Member
Thankyou, things like that are good to know. I appreciated the work i did to the car, but Im glad others did aswell. Just sorry for what happended.

R

Ray1

Quote from Sr Micra boy- 'I just took the wheel off and painted, but please avoid getting paint on the brake caliper itself tho...'....

excellent.. ok.. u must mean the disk yeh???

OP
OP
SR_Micra_Boy

SR_Micra_Boy

Ex. Club Member
The next thing was the msc dvd, and boy did i enjoy this. Good mate David crowe (davey_c) met up with me to film the car ready for the new msc feature dvd, picking out locations and daveys creativity helped to create a blinding video of my car which will be with me for the rest of my life. Stills, motion and chases all in one, lol. I took some pictures during the filming at which dan (micraman) and Wayne (quickdraw) joined me.

A link of the video is below.....

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0006.jpg

DSCF0011.jpg

DSCF0010.jpg

http://bbq.moddedmicras.co.uk/neilsk11vid.wmv

OP
OP
SR_Micra_Boy

SR_Micra_Boy

Ex. Club Member
Then came the almera gti, we were after a larger car now due to our baby which was born in november, the almera was always a love of mine and I finally managed to land my hands on a black one for 3k with 45k miles on the clock, Mmmmm the lovely phase 2 model! This became the wifes main car while i still drove the micra around.

From this

almera3.jpg

to this

almera1.jpg

OP
OP
SR_Micra_Boy

SR_Micra_Boy

Ex. Club Member
Then the worst happened. I came out one morning in december 2004 to see a sorry state of a car mounted on the kerb with a large amount of damage to the rear qtr panel, I was gutted. the car was due to go to a meet in the following week at teeside with the reast of the msc. The rear qtr panel was hurrendous. It was decided the work to get it back to its prime was too much and too costly. I had anotehr car to use, and it was becoming too costly to insure and tax the micra without using it, so the option came to sell it, to which I had minimal interest. Then the decision was made, it was going to be stripped. The date was arranged and so was the help so it went ahead. I had at one point decided to keep it and go ahead with the engine transplant to the sr20, but again further costs involved so i went with the best option for me, and I broke my heart.

DSCF0123.jpg

DSCF0053.jpg

DSCF0035.jpg

DSCF0033.jpg

DSCF0030.jpg

Alienfish360

Awesome Dawson
Think this post got lost somewhere, but noticed your little red light on dash.

Did your Micra have NATS? If so what modifications can you get away with regarding the engine? Also are you able to use external electronic controllers? Any info on re-mapping?

OP
OP
SR_Micra_Boy

SR_Micra_Boy

Ex. Club Member
The Micra attended its last meet, one of the biggest in the msc yet with over 19 cars micras attending

DSCF009211.jpg

Next morning,. it was tucked into its bed (the back yard) until a decision was made what was going to definately happen to it (the decision hadnt been made by this time)

DSCF0120.jpg

DSCF0117.jpg

cliosplitter.jpg

aDSCF0133.jpg

aDSCF0131.jpg

aDSCF0130.jpg

aDSCF0129.jpg

aDSCF0127.jpg

OP
OP
SR_Micra_Boy

SR_Micra_Boy

Ex. Club Member
On teh day we stripped the micra, we as a group came up with the idea of turnign the shell into a pickup, no a BBQ, A BBQ! Thats it..... And ideas were thought of. Then we did it, the stripping finished, the parts went, and it got chopped in half. the rest of the information is available on the Micrawave website in my signature, I'll include some other pcis below tho so u can see the work that has gone into it and how it currently looks. It still isnt finished, bodywork needs finishing aswell as other modifications that need to be carried out, but it will be ready for the 2006 show season.......

So, from this

DSCF000006.jpg

to this

315383_101_full.jpg

to this

DSCF0018.jpg

Hope you enjoyed that, if I find more pics I will add them in as and when I have them....

Thanks for your time

Neil

OP
OP
SR_Micra_Boy

SR_Micra_Boy

Ex. Club Member
Almost forgot, here are some pictures of the install that were in the micra near the end (had only been in for a month or two before I broke the micra)

install2.jpg

install1.jpg

Again custom made by myself.....

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
Lol, great story there Neil!!! Good that I have seen alot of the changes and its still around now hehe. :D May have to do one of my car when its done. And agreed the DVD filming day was fun. :p

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Nice pics there SR, mmmm very low! Shame it was cut in two but at least its not a complete waste :)

aDSCF0129.jpg

R05_Micra

Ex. Club Member
SR, you dont live near park lane interchange by chance do ya? i recognise half the places in the pics but never seen that micra.

unlucky mate!! i've just joined msc but have read the forum before and you post alot so i've seen this car before, all i can say is that its a sad day. quick question though, how did you get your inside door panels red? cheers

Titch

Micra K11ng
Alienfish360 said:
Think this post got lost somewhere, but noticed your little red light on dash.

Did your Micra have NATS? If so what modifications can you get away with regarding the engine? Also are you able to use external electronic controllers? Any info on re-mapping?

Honestly!!! Start your own thread!

Looking good man, can see a dirty headlight of mine in one of the pics, aww my first meet!!
Titch :)

wait, my bad, i thought your car got done in today! forgot your telling us a story and didnt realise there were 2 pages to the post, making what i said completely irrelavent! but the question still goes. soz

OP
OP
SR_Micra_Boy

SR_Micra_Boy

Ex. Club Member
R05 - Yes I do mate, the micra hasnt been around for almost a year now, I drive the almera gti around.

Echo, I took the doorcards off and covered them in material, extremely simple to do.

k11_998

Ex. Club Member
excellent story, really interesting to hear how others have gotten the bug and what its caused them to do

have you still got the front end of the car tho, and have you considered doing anything with that, maybe a nice sofa or something

OP
OP
SR_Micra_Boy

SR_Micra_Boy

Ex. Club Member
Its stripped to bits still in the back yard.... Busy sorting out a few bits and pieces for my next project at the moment, and obviously still finidhing off this one, lol

M

micraROB

why did you turn a nice looking micra inot bbq why not seel it n buy an old ####ty1

S

Shark3y

Amazing especially the before and after shots ..nice work man...oh and btw hello all im new :laugh:

Shark3y...

OP
OP
SR_Micra_Boy

SR_Micra_Boy

Ex. Club Member
Not finished, but it attended its first show back in august, the north east motorshow. It got a stupid amount of interest from the public, and I fed our club over the weekend event, lol

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/n_wheatley/IMG_2405.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/n_wheatley/IMG_2432.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/n_wheatley/bbq1-1.jpg

Who needs a flamer kit in a car! lol
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/n_wheatley/bbq3.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/n_wheatley/bbq5.jpg

Still need to work out how to get the 19" widescreen tv, full surround sound and xbox 360 into the open end........

B

Ben

has it been repainted or not? still doesnt look smooth but pictures dont tell full story, i was ashamed to stand next to it at JAE, hope it comes along and gets finished i really do, good luck

edit, not JAE a means the jap north east mate when dans car was "unvailed"

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Thread edited. Hopefully the image size message will come across as its extremely irritating this rule is being ignored.

OP
OP
SR_Micra_Boy

SR_Micra_Boy

Ex. Club Member
Its been done by a mate due to the bodyshop dropping me in it, its not perfect, wasnt expecting it to be, but its 100% better than waynes effort, my mate said when he got it 'was the bodge put on with a catapult' lmao, he later questionned the same about the paint

Neil