Free micra

Hi everyone,

I'm new to these forums, just sort of introducing myself really. I got a micra a few weeks ago for free off freecycle (dunno if you've heard of it, it's like an online mailing list where people post stuff that they don't want).

I think it's the 1L K11 variant, only had one lady owner who had it serviced regularly, has five doors and only done 55,000 miles. Also came with a full tank of petrol. Not bad huh? Any ideas on how much it's worth? I'd guess about £300 but I don't really know how much second hand micras go for.

I'm pretty pleased with it, compared to my old car it's a speed demon and handles beautifully - I used to have a 1978 Reliant Robin, that was an absolute pile of ####. I rolled it into a hedge at 60mph (with only three wheels its difficult not to roll the damn thing) and although it glued back together again, I didn't really fancy driving it any more so I sold it. My little claire (yes I named it, does that make me sad?) has almost as much character as the robin though, she's a great little car. Feels so speedy compared to the plastic pig!

I'm just really happy with it, I'm really glad I was given it! On a serious note though, is there anything I need to look out for/service/check? Any stuff that tends to fail after that many miles that is normally overlooked?

Thanks!
Sam

MicraFish

Rollin' with Diesel and V8 Power
Hmm not the best welcome to the MSC really...

Welcome Sammydee, sounds like you have got yourself an absolute bargain there, nice one!!
The best things to look out for on Micras, especially on a K11, is rusty sills and rusty crossmember. Other than that they are fantastic cars, I've owned 2 and I'm only 21 lol
But yes, compared to Reliant Robins, Micras have a bit more going for them, and won't roll into hedges at 60 (unless you really hoon it! :wow:)

chipedwood

Ex. Club Member
wow people give cars away on freecycle.

was it a wanted ad or an offered?

55k is pretty decent millage for a micra they get up to a hell of a lot more!

jdmk11mike

Ex. Club Member
i dont understand why someone would give a car away for free when 1: scrap yards pay you money and they come and collect 2:stripping it would of returned some cash 3:its only got 55k, cheap road tax and insurance,why get rid 4: could of choopped it in for a newer car against the government scrappage scheme thing

she must of got hit on the head,or is constantly drunk so owning a car would be useless unless she wanted to lose her license or get locked up lol!!!!!!!!

id say if the seals are good then easy £800 mark
what sort of micras are you buying, ones with gold wheels!!!!!!! i payed 100 for my 1st one and 700 for a 98 Si with 50k on the clock,from a garage!!!!!!!!

your living on a prayer if you expect 800 from an old micra!!!,struggle to get 800 for an sr or super s, or an sr20'd micra for that matter...............

OP
OP
sammydee
wow people give cars away on freecycle.

was it a wanted ad or an offered?

55k is pretty decent millage for a micra they get up to a hell of a lot more!

It was an offered. The Bristol freecycle group is pretty active but has students watching it the whole time so you have to be really quick off the mark to get the good stuff - or you can cheat :wasntme: ...

I wrote a little bash script that checks the freecycle page every 30 seconds and pops up a little message if something comes up that matches a list of keywords I wrote. I put car on it more as a joke than anything else, but a few days after I started using the script it popped up car and lo and behold there was a girl giving away a free nissan micra. I emailed straight away and was quite happy to get it first. Best part, the girl only lived 5 minutes walk from my house, so I just walked over the same day and picked it up :grinning:. She said that in the time it took me to get there she'd had over 500 emails so I guess I was pretty lucky :).

God knows why she was giving it away, she almost seemed apologetic about it - "sorry I didn't have time to clean it for you but I've given you a full tank of petrol to get you started and there's still two weeks on the MOT and tax so you have plenty of time to get that sorted out...".

It is by far the best thing I've seen offered on freecycle, mostly it's crap like "rubble" or "cardboard box full of shredded paper" or some #### like that. I'm well pleased with the little car.

Sam

That sounds brillient sooooo much better than eBay lol. I've got a K11 its really reliable, cheap to run it's never failed a MoT and it's 11 years old, I just get it serviced once a year before MoT and do a few checks in the winter. Only prob I've had so far is brake pipes rusted but after 11 years I think thats fair enough.

Welcome and have fun with ur new Micra.

Makrakin08

Ex. Club Member
I almost had a mk2 golf gti from freecycle, 1 owner 16000 miles kept in a garage most its life and had to go due to the guy moving away within the week but i was too late :(

Dewgel

Buy & Sell Member
My mam saw a P Reg Mondeo on there ages ago, before I passed my test. I'm sure she mentioned seeing a Micra Vibe on there when I got mine, although you have to be really quick.

She's hooked on the damn thing, she gets me gonig out to collect allsorts of chunk..

This one time she sent me to this house in South Shields, I didn't know what I was getting her and this woman answered the door, gave me such an almighty dirty look, gave me the bag and said "Tra" (geordie slang for bye), when I got in my car I opened the black back only to find it was full of women's nightwear.. silky tops and ####! She must've thought I was some kind of pervo.

That is my story for the day. Freecycle rocks.