Found a unknown disconnected cable. Any Ideas?

Hello MSC,
I have purchased a Nissan MIcra k12 (05 Plate) about a month ago and I have just noticed this connector by the passenger side headlight. I have no warning lights and everything seems to be working fine. Cannot see any bulbs out and just want to know if it is important or not.

1578083165957.png

Thank you
Jake

Fairly sure that is the connector for the motorised headlight raising/lowering motor...
Your spot on never realised but one of them isn't working just checked now. I've connected it back up and it still is not working. Don't suppose you have any ideas, the drivers side one still works whilst this one is connected.

Your spot on never realised but one of them isn't working just checked now. I've connected it back up and it still is not working. Don't suppose you have any ideas, the drivers side one still works whilst this one is connected.
Disconnect it again and with headlights on, using a multi meter, check that there is 12 volts present on one of the plug connectors (should be the one being fed by a red wire) if this is present then connect the multi meter, set on ohms, to the other two non live connectors. (one goes direct to ground and the other goes to ground via the variable resistor in the lamp elevation switch on the dash). When the control is operated you should see the change in resistance from a dead short. If you don't see a low variable resistance here you have a wiring fault back to the control
If there is no 12volts present on the first test then there is a wiring fault in the power feed. Both headlights are fed from a common feed via fuse 40, so as one side is working the fuse must be OK.
If everything above checks out OK then you have a fault in the control motor in the headlamp.

Disconnect it again and with headlights on, using a multi meter, check that there is 12 volts present on one of the plug connectors (should be the one being fed by a red wire) if this is present then connect the multi meter, set on ohms, to the other two non live connectors. (one goes direct to ground and the other goes to ground via the variable resistor in the lamp elevation switch on the dash). When the control is operated you should see the change in resistance from a dead short. If you don't see a low variable resistance here you have a wiring fault back to the control
If there is no 12volts present on the first test then there is a wiring fault in the power feed. Both headlights are fed from a common feed via fuse 40, so as one side is working the fuse must be OK.
If everything above checks out OK then you have a fault in the control motor in the headlamp.
Thanks again for your help,
I have just had a look and there is no 12v on the red wire and just to double check there is on the other side. The resistance does change on both sides so must just be a missing live on that head light. I don't suppose there is any common issues that cause this or is it just a case of following the wire back and trying to find the issue.

In a worse case scenario can I just run a live from the other head light should I not be able to find the under lying fault.

Thanks Again
Jake

Thanks again for your help,
I have just had a look and there is no 12v on the red wire and just to double check there is on the other side. The resistance does change on both sides so must just be a missing live on that head light. I don't suppose there is any common issues that cause this or is it just a case of following the wire back and trying to find the issue.

In a worse case scenario can I just run a live from the other head light should I not be able to find the under lying fault.

Thanks Again
Jake
A simple link wire between the red wire on the working headlight to the non working side should restore the feed as both should be fed from the same source anyway....

A simple link wire between the red wire on the working headlight to the non working side should restore the feed as both should be fed from the same source anyway....
Ok thank you very much for your help I will have a play tomorrow afternoon. Only had the car a few weeks so haven't got to grips with all the electrics on it yet.

Ok thank you very much for your help I will have a play tomorrow afternoon. Only had the car a few weeks so haven't got to grips with all the electrics on it yet.
Sadly the K12 shares it's electrical circuit design with the Renault Clio Mk3 ....... :mad:

Thanks for your help last night. I went to do it this afternoon and found it was connected up and working (Has just been in to nissan for ipmd recall and steering so I guess they have sorted it but at least it's all working now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Micra Sports Club mobile app

Back