Forum changes - yes this affects you - VOTE NOW!

Woud you be willing to give £2.00 to join the forum?

• Yes I would be willing to give £2.00.

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • No I would not.

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Unsure.

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kev

Pro Cut Vinyl
Founding Member
Official MSC Trader
***CLUB MEMBERS DO NOT NEED TO VOTE ON THIS POLL***

There has been on going debate with a poll in the members area regarding a forum change that affects all forum members.

The admin have proposed a change that has been agreed to with 90% of the Club Members.

The proposal

The whole forum will be ready only with a Forum membership price of £3.00 per year to join with the selling feature now available to Forum Members. Any forum member that joins the Club will have the £3.00 forum fee refunded.

With the forums changed to 'read only'. This will still show and promote the forums content if someone wishes to join as a forum member they can do so for only £3.00. The Forum will still be search able to allow someone looking for a simple bit of information but doesn't wish to join the forum.

Another option we have looked at is that you can join the forum for free for an initial 1 month trail and then have the option to pay £3.00 if you wish to continue.

Advantages of the proposal

• This will stop spamming of the MSC forums, happening on a regular basis.
  • Will hopefully put an end to idiots signing up the MSC, posting crap, insulting members etc, if they do, it will cost them £3.00 lol!
  • All forum members will be able to sell in the buy and sell forum.
  • Moderators will not have delete and issue warnings over non members selling on the forums.
  • Attract more of an enthusiast to the forums
  • Increase in club revenue that will go into furthering the membership packs.
  • The MSC will still be a free information resource.
  • This will not affect the sites ranking position.
  • Encourage people to get involved more in the club and discourage those that join up, ask a question, get an answer and never seen again.
  • Reduce the amount of repetitive posts with the in depth FAQ section.
  • People will still be able to do what they do now and browse the forums without joining.
Disadvantages of the proposal

• Member intake may decrease by the intial £3.00 joining fee.
  • Forum activity may decrease by lack of intake.
This change will take place at some point. We have just upgraded the forum, fixed many of the bugs and introduced the new Vb Garage in preparation for the change..

The homepage has been completely changed with much more content in the navigational menu, this is still a work in progress, but coming along nicely.

An FAQ has started to help with those repetitive questions.

What I want to get a feel for is would you be willing to spend £3.00 to support the forum / club? With this you will then have the added bonus of being able to sell through the forum. The current buy and sell package will be removed once this changed has been implemented.

We will also be offering current forum members a special offer on the joining fee of £3.00 reduced to £2.00. There will also shortly be a special offer on the full membership packages.

thanks for your time,
Kev

***CLUB MEMBERS DO NOT NEED TO VOTE ON THIS POLL***

curtis

Ex. Club Member
How do you know that? lol! I did but didn't want to admit it hehe

;) i have more powers then the mods on here...

Jokes, if you dont vote, then click on the "see poll results" you can view who has voted :p

jabran200

Ex. Club Member
I disagree with this.

I reckon it will reduce the amount of people joining by a lot. I am a member on many forums and find that the ones that charge and make forums read only (haven't come across any about cars) tend to have very few posts and nothing interesting.

I find the more popular ones like driftworks, tggt, gtr etc are all free and no restrictions on buying and selling have a lot of activity and a lot of intellectual posts as well as stuff that will keep you reading for hours.

Ever since I have been on the MSC I tend to leave after 10-15 mins max as there just is not that much interesting stuff.

My opinion in general.

OP
OP
Kev

Kev

Pro Cut Vinyl
Founding Member
Official MSC Trader
I disagree with this.

I reckon it will reduce the amount of people joining by a lot. I am a member on many forums and find that the ones that charge and make forums read only (haven't come across any about cars) tend to have very few posts and nothing interesting.

I find the more popular ones like driftworks, tggt, gtr etc are all free and no restrictions on buying and selling have a lot of activity and a lot of intellectual posts as well as stuff that will keep you reading for hours.

Ever since I have been on the MSC I tend to leave after 10-15 mins max as there just is not that much interesting stuff.

My opinion in general.

Do you mean TGTT.COM? as you have to be a paid member on there to sell and also have your post reviewed by admin before it goes live and sell through a formatted form.

Kev

Sorry I voted via homepage and didn't see the Club Members Bit.

Poll reset fwn lol!

jabran200

Ex. Club Member
Do you mean TGTT.COM? as you have to be a paid member on there to sell and also have your post reviewed by admin before it goes live and sell through a formatted form.

Kev

Poll reset fwn lol!

whoops, I meant TGTT. You do not need to be a paid member just a member(free) and there are some excellent builds, projects and interesting threads there imho.

** This forum requires moderator validation before new posts are displayed
**Members must have a Minimum of 50 posts and be a member for more than 30 days to post in Classified forum

I have posted there loads.

The people make the forum what it is.

OP
OP
Kev

Kev

Pro Cut Vinyl
Founding Member
Official MSC Trader
Can all 'forum' members please vote on this poll. (NOT CLUB MEMBERS)

Thanks
Kev

mullet

Ex. Club Member
i can see the point in asking for the £2 to generate more funds to keep the msc running but i can see alot less posts happening due to the fact you need to pay for it as, i myself would probably not joined up and then not got some of the information that has been very helpfull to me
so thats why i said unsure
but if it came to it i would pay (even though im thinking about upgrading to silver/gold next pay day :D)

People like me who are looking for advice on probably a simple thing won't want to pay £2. Forums are full of people who are enthusiastic about the subject in question so it beats the object of being a "forum" which is basically where people chat about stuff.

I can understand the need to upkeep etc but personally I wouldn't go by it.

I have signed up to 3 forums which need a validation by the admin - I haven't received ANY back whatsoever so keeping the forum as it is now would be a lot better. I;m not saying the MSC admins won't look and validate new people but it's so much simpler the way it is.

If there is spam or a really off topic thread gathering then I guess it's up to us - the posters - to report it, and let the Mods and Admins sort it out from there rather then make them wade through 150 posts a day or so.

I joined because it's a handy little resource to ask questions about things I;m not sure of, and although I don't post that much, I do come back and see whats being talked about etc and whats going on.

I voted no to your pay to post proposal. What a stupid idea.

There also seems to be some confusion here with paid up members voting on this poll, I'm sure most will want none-members to pay, after all they've paid so why shouldn't everyone else. Allowing them to vote be it by mistake or to massage the results doesn't give you a very fair result does it?

I was lucky to spot this poll as I really only ever vistit the K11 section, can you not send messages to none-payers like myself so they get the chance to vote for themselves?

Bash1989

Ex. Club Member
sorry to sound stupid kev but does that mean club members do not have to pay just forum members? sorry having a bit of a weird day lol

i say when they sign up give them 1 month free trial then $3 a year (couldnt find the pound sign lol)

joesouthgate

Super Moderator
Club Member

There also seems to be some confusion here with paid up members voting on this poll, I'm sure most will want none-members to pay, after all they've paid so why shouldn't everyone else. Allowing them to vote be it by mistake or to massage the results doesn't give you a very fair result does it?

I was lucky to spot this poll as I really only ever vistit the K11 section, can you not send messages to none-payers like myself so they get the chance to vote for themselves?

as said earlier in the poll, kev reset the poll after some club members accidently voted.

OP
OP
Kev

Kev

Pro Cut Vinyl
Founding Member
Official MSC Trader

Firstly there is no way to make the poll to be member specific wihout changing usergroup permissions and there is no 'massaging' of the result either.

All Club Members votes have been removed. This poll is purely to give me an idea of what 'forum members' would be willing to support the proposal. I can see who voted for what in the admin control panel.

Secondly if you only visit the K11 section then this 'stupid idea' won't really affect you anyway! fwn

This thread would be seen by all in the new posts link and every time a reply was made to the thread.

rlees85

Ex. Club Member
Kev, is it a £3.00 for write-access for life or £3.00 p/year.

For life, yes i'd pay it... as I like to have the occasional rant on here :p

Per year it still isnt much and would consider it but I just want to know really before voting

also to be fair, the help I have had on here from certian members has saved me hundreds... so 3 quid is FA in comparison

oops sorry again, just noticed it says "per year"... ok going to vote unsure but its more leaning towards 'yes'

OP
OP
Kev

Kev

Pro Cut Vinyl
Founding Member
Official MSC Trader
It will be £3.00 per year.

Thanks for the constructive comments :)

Kev