Forged Pistons

Are these available for the Turbo and ST,forgive me if this was discussed in a previous thread,if it was please redirect me to the link.

Baz

Ex. Club Member
Are these available for the Turbo and ST,forgive me if this was discussed in a previous thread,if it was please redirect me to the link.

Hi man, they are not currectly available off the shelf as there is no demand for them. Matt Humphries can get pistons made up if you like. To be honest the standard pistons are fine for a road car .

You know, I've always been impressed by wiseco forgies, but I can't help the nagging feeling I've just read a bunch on generic spam grr

Baz

Ex. Club Member
You know, I've always been impressed by wiseco forgies, but I can't help the nagging feeling I've just read a bunch on generic spam grr
Have wiseco piston in my impreza have to say very noisey piston when cold compared to others

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
I am assuming that's cold start piston slap Baz and not when warmed up?

IIRC Wiseco are made from RR-52, (2618 alloy), which is quite common for a lot of forgies. 2618 has a higher thermal expansion than say 4032 but is stronger and more suited to high rpm/high power builds.

Any idea on what piston to wall clearance you end up going with?

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Sides skirts cracked of a customers car due to piston slap. Quite mad really.

umm I am probably missing the point, is the rod/stroke ratio on these motors that bad?

any good forged piston, with clearances carefully set to manufacturer's recommendaton will be fine in pretty much any condition. if you are really expecting to use all of the strength of a forged piston you are way overloading a motor. They are really just a security blanket if things go a little wrong for a short time like unexpected pinging

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
No Duncan its fine, not missing any point. No one I've ever spoken to has run even near the power I have in a stock ST bottom end and mine was fine.

Baz

Ex. Club Member
I am assuming that's cold start piston slap Baz and not when warmed up?

IIRC Wiseco are made from RR-52, (2618 alloy), which is quite common for a lot of forgies.
2618 has a higher thermal expansion than say 4032 but is stronger and more suited to high rpm/high power builds.

Any idea on what piston to wall clearance you end up going with?

Sounds ok when warm yes. 3 thou of an inch for the wiseco recommended

is that because the piston was too small though???

Bigger bore to piston clearance to allow for the expansion of the forged piston.Bores were matched to pistons

a lot of forged pistons dont have an offset wristpin tho eh, the CG,s have a 1mm offset to minimise slap

Im not sure if mine do but from reading on Subaru forums the wiseco is not the quietest choice