Foggy Headlamp covers

Hi,

My headlight covers are almost opaque. I've tried everything (T CUT, Paint restorative and spot remover) to no avail. There are plenty of kits on the market but do they work ?

ColinJ

Can you show a picture of how they look before or after you have used these products

If you have tryed everything what about an abrasive cream cleaner house hold product you might already have it.
Give that a go and see if anything happens it took all the oxidation off mine the drive side isn't perfect but they are way better than before.
It really does work if they are not too bad.

Elbow grease DIY hard work, cheaper than the gym, with the rubbing compounds to hand such as
  • bathroom cleaner abrasive cream,
  • CIF
  • Vim
  • Very fine wet & dry abrasive paper.
Takes time & effort even with a polishing machine.

Finish with a coat of car body polish.

This works as I have done it with success & is easier than changing the headlamp assemblies, & is a whole lot cheaper with nothing to lose.

If you've left them till they're almost opaque then what you're using won't work. You need to start on something with a lower grit than tcut and work your way up.

Well I was going to use sand paper at first but I was amazed for a while then they kinda go a bit dull at very bottom and on the very highest parts after a while.
A finishing product is really important if you want them to last longer I have just used turtle wax cause its what I was already using at the time "it does the job" as they say..
Here is an after shot using I think first I tried a toothpaste but it was crap cause it was blue kind like "colgate"
But then I tried the cif method. Was actually just a cheap cream cleaner and I could see the plastic inside after. They looked okay to me is a few scratches here and there and as I said before the bottom and top didn't clear that well maybe since I was trying not to touch the paint I guess.
Some might say they look rubbish. But if you need them clear to pass a test then at least that be one less thing to fail on right?

Attachments

• P_20190115_104615.jpg
    P_20190115_104615.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 258
  • P_20190115_104700.jpg
    P_20190115_104700.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 357
Last edited:
I used wet and dry paper starting at 400 grit, then 800, 1200, 1500 then 2000 grit.

Then used the machine polisher with some farecla g3 cutting compound which seems to have done the job and some wax to seal afterwards

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I used wet and dry paper starting at 400 grit, then 800, 1200, 1500 then 2000 grit.

Then used the machine polisher with some farecla g3 cutting compound which seems to have done the job and some wax to seal afterwards

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Does wax seal work long term? The whole reason they go foggy is that the UV protection has worn out, don't you need to replace it with something UV resistant?

Just been practicing with sand paper. On an old plastic lid that seemed to come up pretty clear imo. So moved on to my passenger off side headlamp. It took away most of the visible scratches and hazed look. But they are not great at all. So I think I'm going to try a polishing wheel and compound next.
If that fails to bring it back I'm just going to replace them with a later year headlight.
I used 400 1500 2000 and 2500 grit in two passes then a paint compound as this seemed to work on the plastic lid that I test sanded with.
Will post a picture tomorrow of how the passenger side looks. Definitely need a bit more work though.

Just been practicing with sand paper. On an old plastic lid that seemed to come up pretty clear imo. So moved on to my passenger off side headlamp. It took away most of the visible scratches and hazed look. But they are not great at all. So I think I'm going to try a polishing wheel and compound next.
If that fails to bring it back I'm just going to replace them with a later year headlight.
I used 400 1500 2000 and 2500 grit in two passes then a paint compound as this seemed to work on the plastic lid that I test sanded with.
Will post a picture tomorrow of how the passenger side looks. Definitely need a bit more work though.

For really crappy headlights wash them (rubbing alcohol works good) then use 400>600>1200>2000>2500 (all wet and alternating sanding direction with each grit) then use a cutting compound and finish with a uv protector so they don't go yellow again within a few months.

OP
OP
C
I ended up with a Holts repair kit only £10.00 . It contains all you need including buffing disc, compound and protector spray. To be honest I was a bit disappointed with the results after the cutting stage was finished. However, as soon as I sprayed on the protector 'BINGO' the lenses became clear ! Not as new obviously but good enough for 55 plate and to pass the next MOT.
One downside was when the car went through the local hand wash station they blasted off the coating ! I'm going to respray with several coats which should do the trick.

Okay so here is P.S. and D.S after sanding and a buff with drill and driver side got the buff only.
You can still see the oxidized plastic on driver side.

They didn't look very good before I started.
Otherwise I wouldn't have considered the light sanding.
How many times this could be done would be very limited. Although since I can still see the vehicles numbers on the head lights. That means they have not had any sanding done till now.

The products were
6 quid sand paper
5 for polish compound
6 for the drill attachment
But most of these items were for paint work so really my cost was zero.
P_20190426_094610.jpeg
P_20190426_094616.jpeg
P_20190426_094632.jpeg
P_20190426_094641.jpeg

Last edited:
Okay so here is P.S. and D.S after sanding and a buff with drill and driver side got the buff only.
You can still see the oxidized plastic on driver side.

They didn't look very good before I started.
Otherwise I wouldn't have considered the light sanding.
How many times this could be done would be very limited. Although since I can still see the vehicles numbers on the head lights. That means they have not had any sanding done till now.

The products were
6 quid sand paper
5 for polish compound
6 for the drill attachment
But most of these items were for paint work so really my cost was zero.
View attachment 63354View attachment 63355View attachment 63356View attachment 63357
For stuff that you pretty much already had lying around the house you won't get much better. Looks good.(y)

Yea they not bad for fourteen years use. I think I may next put a clear plastic film over them. After the driver side is sanded then I won't have to worry about them fading as quickly.

Last edited:
Try fresh lemon juice! Coat and leave to soak for a couple of minutes and then rinse, repeat if necessary... and then polish them up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk