Fog Lights

T

Tesla

Fog lights on my micra dont work :( They never have since we picked up the car 4 years ago!

The switch on the dash looks as if it has an LED in it. This LED DOESNT light up when the switch is flicked.

I dont have a multimeter but there is a maplin round the corner.

Where are the problems likely to be? What should I do to pin point the exact fault?

under your dash there should be a blue relay. i belive that this will be the problem. unplug the relay and put tape all around the relay so that there is pressure on it, plug it back in.if that doesnt work then i havent a clue!:glance:

Attachments

• 7962731372_0[1].jpg
    7962731372_0[1].jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 278
If that doesnt work, check the indicator stalk. My fogs died when this was faulty - but make sure you replace it with an identical one!

This happened on mine.. It appeared to be wire which goes from 12V to the switch causing the problem. At the time it was about a day before the MOT, so I bodged it really badly, by soldering a wire between the supply cable and one of the others there which had 12V (I seem to remember that is connected to the lighting circuit, i.e. so the foglight only comes on when you've got your headlights on aswell). I wouldnt reccomend this in any way, but it did work. As for the LED in the switch, that just lights up when there is current flowing through the switch, so if the foglight isnt working, it wont light up.

Is this just the rear foglight you're talking about yes? You dont have the funny ones in the grille or anything?

thacreeper said:
As for the LED in the switch, that just lights up when there is current flowing through the switch, so if the foglight isnt working, it wont light up.

Not true. The switch backlight is powered on its own supply. The switch itself only lights up from a feed from the indicator stalk.

if the LED has blown, this will not effect the circuit, as the current required to power the bulbs, cannot be passed through an LED.
As thecreeper said, its more than likely your power cable to the switch, also possibly the earth going from the lights themselves, replace these wires and there should be no problem...

Back