Fog Light usage

Ian

Ex. Club Member
Code:
[B]226[/B]

You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves

It's amazing how many people are unaware/ignorant/idiots about this subject. A drive to work this morning, some patches were quite heavy, almost fog, but I could still see a cars outline and tail lights quite easily at least 100m away. 90% of it however, no need for a light at all. Yet these beancounters continue to drive to drive an entire journey to work with fog lights on. Why? Too lazy to turn them off? 1 button! They must be aware of the fact they are on, its hard to forget, when there's a orange bulb staring you in the face. It's very distracting when your in a perfectly clear patch, and some idiot comes up behind, all lights blazing. IMO it's more likely to cause an accident then prevent them. During this weather they should have a few cars out, pulling people over, giving them warnings and advice about how to use their fogs. Or how about an advertisment campaign?

Here's 2 tips:

1. If its a "bit misty". Don't use them.
2. They do not make your car look "cool".

I actually get more annoyed with rear fog light usage when it's not necessary. I can see your tail lights fine, there's no need to blind me with your ultra bright fog as well!! grr

I know it's not a fog light but I was stuck behind a range rover that had a cracked tailight, the exposed brakelight bulb was blinding me, the stupid cow was sat on the brakes at the traffic lights and I couldn't see anything so I reached forwards as I was on the bike and unscrewed her bulb lol.

I hate it when people can't maintain or use their cars properly, where's the police when you need them?

Lots of drivers are just ignorant, half of them don't know what day it is :doh: the police are also useless when it comes to stopping drivers with dodgy lights, go out tonight and I guarantee you'll half a dozen vehicles with various lights out :glare:

http://www.fogsoff.com/ (Y)

Completely agree. One of many things which annoys me too! Using driving lamps as daytime running lights etc..

Why? Too lazy to turn them off? 1 button!

i get exactly the same way about people who don't indicate, especially when changing lanes on the motorway, they just drift around from lane to lane without signaling, its not like it is much effort...

my foglight at the rear is not too bright, sometimes i have that on in the mornings on foggy days (i live in a vally with lots of fog in the morning) mainly because people are still asleep in the morning.

but other than that my foglight is for MOT perposes only, its not ilegal to drive in fog without them on, so no law saying you have to turn them on ever except for an MOT, so thats how i leave it.

yeah theres quite a lot of people put there fog lights on when its not even foggy. sure they put it on because it makes there car look better.

This too annoys the hell out of me - especially when people put them on in the day.

I mean, why? It's obviously not going to increase your field of vision, cos guess what - it's light out!! Second of all, it doesn't make you look 'cool' either. Who ever thought that putting their foglights on made them look cool.
Yes it makes people pay attention to you. But not for the right reason - all they are thinking is what a pillock you are!!
What worries me, is that it's not even 'boy racers' in their Saxos and Corsas now; it's middle aged businessmen in their repmobiles, or school-run mums in their stupid hideous Ford C-Maxs.

I have fog lights on my car, and I haven't used them once! Why does every other bottom-feeder on the road think that they need to?
It's not big, it's not clever and you are dazzling every one else on the road with your pillockness!

This too annoys the hell out of me - especially when people put them on in the day.

I mean, why? It's obviously not going to increase your field of vision, cos guess what - it's light out!! Second of all, it doesn't make you look 'cool' either. Who ever thought that putting their foglights on made them look cool.
Yes it makes people pay attention to you. But not for the right reason - all they are thinking is what a pillock you are!!
What worries me, is that it's not even 'boy racers' in their Saxos and Corsas now; it's middle aged businessmen in their repmobiles, or school-run mums in their stupid hideous Ford C-Maxs.

I have fog lights on my car, and I haven't used them once! Why does every other bottom-feeder on the road think that they need to?
It's not big, it's not clever and you are dazzling every one else on the road with your pillockness!

well said there (Y)

Back