Fog lamps wont switch off!

Right - I just got the car fixed after the stereo went crazy and began blowing fuses to the rear lights.

We cut the illumination wire, and that seemed to fix the problem - in so much as the dashboard lights up again and the rear lights do too.

But I've just noticed that my fog lights come on when the sidelights or main lights are on - and I'm pretty certain that before all these problems with the stereo they only came on when you put full beam on!?

I actually kinda like them coming on - but I'm a little worried that it will get me pulled over by the police, or that it's going to be too bright for other drivers.

What can I do??

the fogs relay is prob nackered it should be on its own switch for "foggy" condition if you get pulled its now a £60 quid fine, cault 3 times in (iirc 5 YEARS) its points time

the fogs relay is prob nackered it should be on its own switch for "foggy" condition if you get pulled its now a £60 quid fine, cault 3 times in (iirc 5 YEARS) its points time

Where would I find the fogs relay? - is it in the engine bay? - presumably if I just remove it until I can buy a new one then I should be ok yeah?

EDIT:- I've just been out to the car and removed both the relay for the driving lamps, and the fuse in the fusebox for them - yet they're still coming on!!! :-(

Is there any way I could maybe tint them dark or something?

I believe that on the Super S they're classed as driving lamps, as they do not have their own separate switch for "foggy" conditions... not sure how that's relevant but thought I would mention it.

I really need to get this sorted now - got pulled over by the police twice last night!

I've tried everything - and the only thing that seems to help is pulling the plug next to the relay box on the drivers side of the engine - which shuts off the fogs, but also shuts down the circuit for my rear light cluster!!!

Are there any relays for fogs inside the car? - if so where??

I really dont know what to do about this - I cant afford to get the car into the garage for two weeks (pay day), and I need to use the car every day for work - which means driving home in the dark :(

Is there any way that the melted red and blue wire from the head unit could have caused this?

The fog light relay iirc on the post facelift was in with the fuses, in the dashboard. If yours are standard lights, that should be where the relay is too

You could also stick black tape over the lights if you want to stop blinding everyone.

The fog light relay iirc on the post facelift was in with the fuses, in the dashboard. If yours are standard lights, that should be where the relay is too

You could also stick black tape over the lights if you want to stop blinding everyone.

Armed myself with a roll of black duck tape for now - will check out the dash relays later tonight.

There seem to be four in there - any idea which one it is? - they seem to be pretty awkward to remove, any advice on this?

Thanks for your help so far by the way guys - I really do appreciate it! (Y)

Yeah i remember it being quite tight when the relay was fitted. Can't remember which one off the top of my head. Just pull them out one by one until they go off lol

my front fogs come on with high beam... is that weird?
If you've got a pre-facelift then no, they're driving lamps not fog lights and are designed to come on with full beam only, if you use them in any other way you'll dazzle other road users, hence why Scoobkiller's already been pulled by the po-po twice with them on!

I remember mine being a real nightmare to take off when I was changing the bulbs, but a bit of perseverance paid off!

I remember when the connector for one of the headlights on my first K11 melted (common problem) it caused full beam to come on, maybe that could have something to do with why your driving lamps are coming on, as they may well be on the full beam circuit? Check your headlight connectors, it's quite obvious if they're melted!

If you've got a pre-facelift then no, they're driving lamps not fog lights and are designed to come on with full beam only, if you use them in any other way you'll dazzle other road users, hence why Scoobkiller's already been pulled by the po-po twice with them on!

I remember mine being a real nightmare to take off when I was changing the bulbs, but a bit of perseverance paid off!

I remember when the connector for one of the headlights on my first K11 melted (common problem) it caused full beam to come on, maybe that could have something to do with why your driving lamps are coming on, as they may well be on the full beam circuit? Check your headlight connectors, it's quite obvious if they're melted!

i dont think its a facelift cos its k10 super s and registered late 1992 :p ah well i cant see well in the dark anyhow

Back