Fixing the melted fusebox with in line fuse - passenger headlight

After finding the passenger headlight (dip) not working, further investigation found a hole in the fusebox by the battery, and a 15a fuse melted into the fusebox! The fuse holder for that fuse is beyond repair, and ive managed to twist the fusebox around to get a look at the underneath to see where the wires go, but its all very tight!
I have a corroded wire thats broken off from the bottom of the fusebox and for now ive wedged it into the bottom of the connector (where the fuse blade would go in) to keep the dip passenger light working, however this will not last long, so my plan is an in line fuse, but me question is, where does the the other end of the inline fuse go? Do I just loop in around anconnect the inline fuse back to the same wire?
Many thanks for your pending help!

this is a very common problem with micras, the cause is in fact the headlight bulb. the contacts on the bulb are dirty and cause an arch of electricity, which is not enough to blow the fuse, but it gets hot and melts everything. people usually fix the plug and fuse, but without replacing the bulb it will just happen again.

the repairs i have seen sometimes take the supply from the other headlight, but thats not really the best way to do it. you should take the original supply from the fuse box, with your own inline fuse and then on to the headlight, with a new pair of headlight bulbs

Thanks for the reply, so would I just be able to connect the 3 wires going into the drivers connector to the passenger one? Im useless at etectrics but id be competant in doing this as its verty straightforward. Many thanks

yea that would work but it would be a bodge, the headlights are meant to have two fuses on separate circuits so that if one fails the other is still working

yea that would work but it would be a bodge, the headlights are meant to have two fuses on separate circuits so that if one fails the other is still working
Yeah, I realise that, but to be honest, the car has probably only got another year left due to welding needed, so its just to get it to the next MOT really. Will have to make sure a spare fuse is in the ashtray incase it blows leaving me without any light at all. Thanks for the reply :)

this is a very common problem with micras, the cause is in fact the headlight bulb. the contacts on the bulb are dirty and cause an arch of electricity, which is not enough to blow the fuse, but it gets hot and melts everything. people usually fix the plug and fuse, but without replacing the bulb it will just happen again.

the repairs i have seen sometimes take the supply from the other headlight, but thats not really the best way to do it. you should take the original supply from the fuse box, with your own inline fuse and then on to the headlight, with a new pair of headlight bulbs
Hi , as our K11 now has this problem I will try here first before opening a new thread.
Exactly the same common prob with L/H dip beam blowing and melting fuse box connection,so I bought an in line fuse , it might be possible to twist the box upside down to get at the wires ,but which colour and position? I thought it would look straightforward and directly into the blade sockets ,maybe true, but looks different from the side. So I have to turn it properly for a good view. Any diagrams and info much appreciated.

Hi , as our K11 now has this problem I will try here first before opening a new thread.
Exactly the same common prob with L/H dip beam blowing and melting fuse box connection,so I bought an in line fuse , it might be possible to twist the box upside down to get at the wires ,but which colour and position? I thought it would look straightforward and directly into the blade sockets ,maybe true, but looks different from the side. So I have to turn it properly for a good view. Any diagrams and info much appreciated.
just tap into the 2 wires directly below the melted fuse omicranu, the wires are very tightly packed tho !

Hi again, thanks for the tip ,the lights work after doing that , but the car has not started up since ,been too busy with work and having to re insure it but cant use it !
Has the NATS system cut it ,there is a spark and good turnover but no fire up and start. Would it be the fuel system and needs a new ECU or reset , if so how to re set ?

Back