Fitting replacement dizzy

Hi again,
I just got a replacement dizzy from the breakers, when I swap it over do I just set pulley to second mark (tdc so ive read) then it's ok to swap them.

Thanks Ian

frank

Club Member
no need to line the crank up ian, i usually scratch a mark on the head, or measure how much slot is showing on the 2 bolts
and the driveslot in the end of the cam is offset (i usually lift the cam cover to make sure it lines up ok)

OP
OP
H
Ok thanks frank, sounds too easy :laugh: so there's no playing around with timing or anything ?
Just hope RAC guy is right and this solves it now.

frank

Club Member
you should check it with a timing light really, but as long as the slots are in the same position you wont be far out,
and dont hold your breath because mine died totally when the dizzy failed, then started and ran ok when it had cooled down, but good luck anyway (Y)

solarice

Ex. Club Member
You do have to timing disc inside the dizzy the correct way around...so that its firing in the right order?.

Will check your other post while im at it :)

OP
OP
H
You do have to timing disc inside the dizzy the correct way around...so that its firing in the right order?. :)

Right well I just swapped em over, cap.. leads everything so will I have to open it up to adjust something ? it is running real rough but that could be to do with my main problem which I have not cured yet ( as in other post)

Cheers Ian

solarice

Ex. Club Member
If thats the case you'll need to set tdc on the engine then check inside the dizzy to make sure its pointing where it needs to be. The timing might be out. Ideally if you'd checked inside the cap while fitting you wouldnt have needed tdc...as you could have just matched them up. You may have gotten lucky though and its possible its where it should be, after reading you other posts saying it seems to getting xlose to being fixed :)

solarice

Ex. Club Member
Forgot to say if it is out you'll need to remove the dizzy and spin the shaft (the bit that connects to the camshaft) around till it matches then refit...I only mention it as i fitted it wrong before and the car ran but horribly...and it drove me mad til i realised what id done.

solarice

Ex. Club Member
i thought the dizzy/camshaft fingers are offset so you can only engage them one way

you got me curious, so I dug out my old cams and yeah they do look offset...not by much mind. So dunno maybe you shouldnt be able to fit the dizzy incorrectly. :S If so feel free to ingore me lol.

OP
OP
H
The "fingers" do have a small chamfer on them and look like they will only engage one way... I just lined up the pulley and checked the dizzy to make sure the rotor was in no1 position and all is fine so least I know I got it right and not 180 out.
Tbh it started sounding a little rough once I took out the injectors and cleaned em with carb cleaner, it sounds raspy since and deffo not as powerful as it was before all this started.It was pretty nippy so im hoping the timing just needs tweeking a bit but ive broke the strobe gun i had so will have to wait till I can get another or borrow one.
I have been out in it this morning and did 5 mile and so far it hasn't died so just gonna take it for a longer run and see.