Fitting full size SR 16" alloy in the spare wheel well

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
I've got a spare matching 16" alloy for my Micra Sport + and while it just fits in the spare wheel well (and sticks up about 50mm higher than the boot floor) the existing clamp anchor point in the floor of the wheel well doesn't line up with the centre bore of the wheel. :(
I want to invert the wheel so that I can fit a round foam tool holder (which I have already got) in it for the jack, wheel brace etc. To do this I am contemplating removing the existing raised anchor point from the floor, replacing it with a bolt, lined up with the centre of the new wheel, clamped through the wheel well floor, with a large thick washer each side, to give me a point to clamp the spare wheel down to. To compensate for the extra height of the wheel in the boot I intend to cover the boot floor surrounding the wheel with 50mm thick high density upholstery foam then place the boot carpet over top, attaching the carpet to the foam, giving a flat surface again. Has anyone else on here done anything similar to allow the fitting of a full size spare?

I have a 16" spare,mines the old type that didn't have the foam part for the jack ect. So those I've sat inside the alloy,an old pair of trackies on the boot floor to stop the wheel scratching,and my socket set on the floor next to the wheel well to raise the boot liner level with the wheel width as I'm running 205/45/16 tyres

Sent from my MotoG3 using Micra Sports Club mobile app

OP
OP
John_D

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
I have a 16" spare,mines the old type that didn't have the foam part for the jack ect. So those I've sat inside the alloy,an old pair of trackies on the boot floor to stop the wheel scratching,and my socket set on the floor next to the wheel well to raise the boot liner level with the wheel width as I'm running 205/45/16 tyres

Sent from my MotoG3 using Micra Sports Club mobile app
The foam tool holder isn't a Nissan one but came from another car, make unknown, and was for a 17" wheel (ebay buy). I had to trim an inch off of the diameter and about the same from the bottom face so that it fitted snugly in the Micra 16" wheel. See my thread HERE for details of the fitting of the spare wheel and raising the boot floor with high density foam..