Fitting a Tachometer

capnmchl

Ex. Club Member
Ahoy there. First post. Woo!

Anyway, I've recently bought a stock K11 Micra (1l passion) and a haynes guide for it. #

One thing that I do miss is having a Tachometer (rev counter). Does anyone know if it's possible to fit one? And where would I buy one from?

Cheers

you can get one from ebay etc!

just link through to the pulse wire and will give you your reading!

deamon tweaks etc also have tacho's blah blah

Wow, quick reply. Cheers for that. The ebay ones do seem a lot cheaper, but I've never really trusted ebay stuff. Oh well, first time for everything.

You can also buy dials with the rev counter built in. If the cars Pre 98 you'll need a set from a Super S or SR, if its 98-2000 off an Si, 2000-2002 then a set of an SE+ (i think)

but dont the facelift models have digital mile readings as apposed to prefacelifts analogue? Dont know about changing them, not had a look at my sisters facelift really yet, other to fit a cd player.

but dont the facelift models have digital mile readings as apposed to prefacelifts analogue? Dont know about changing them, not had a look at my sisters facelift really yet, other to fit a cd player.

Yes, Facelift Requires Si Dials. Si is a facelift. 98-2000

Post 2000 requires SE+ Dials with rev counter off the top of my head.

I think you may be able to swap the bit other which counts the miles.

yes they do, as per above

but it depends on what u want, end of the day, research is your best tool for everything,

its all been covered thousands of times across the interweb.

no offence meant to any one, but if you do a little work for yourself, understanding something before taking on the project, be it fitting a tacho, or redeveloping the car itself

understand and you shall succeed - to ask and one shall succeed.

with knowledge, understanding, and wisdom, you will succeed

Knowledge is the acquiring of facts,
understanding is the comprehension of the facts,
wisdom is knowing how to properly apply what one knows and understands to life's situations

:)

I have a pre facelift micra.

So if I find a pre facelift super S or SR, and lift the dials off, all the wiring will basically be the same as in the back of mine, minus that for a tach? What about the odometer. I have an analog one, I'm guessing that's not connected to the panel with the dials on it?

Otherwise it's buy a third party one, a wump it somewhere on my dash, and wire it up to the dashboard lights, and the coil etc?

yes they do, as per above

but it depends on what u want, end of the day, research is your best tool for everything,

its all been covered thousands of times across the interweb.

no offence meant to any one, but if you do a little work for yourself, understanding something before taking on the project, be it fitting a tacho, or redeveloping the car itself

understand and you shall succeed - to ask and one shall succeed.

with knowledge, understanding, and wisdom, you will succeed

Knowledge is the acquiring of facts,
understanding is the comprehension of the facts,
wisdom is knowing how to properly apply what one knows and understands to life's situations

:)

Quickdraw what are you on? lol

You're sounding rather philosophical.

I have a pre facelift micra.

So if I find a pre facelift super S or SR, and lift the dials off, all the wiring will basically be the same as in the back of mine, minus that for a tach? What about the odometer. I have an analog one, I'm guessing that's not connected to the panel with the dials on it?

Otherwise it's buy a third party one, a wump it somewhere on my dash, and wire it up to the dashboard lights, and the coil etc?

On most K11s the wiring is there so the dials are just plug and play.

The SR and Super S dials are analogue odomoters anyway. You can just swap yours around to get the mileage correct. It's only a few screws.

Quickdraw what are you on? lol

You're sounding rather philosophical.

one of those days mate!

had a bad day today, not a good time of year for me with everything that just been happening in my life compiled with anniversary of the loss of my mam

so today has been a day of soul searching which makes me go into one of those moods

think lots, which is bad for me! cos' thats when my demons arise :)

so SPEED yeah!

one of those days mate!

had a bad day today, not a good time of year for me with everything that just been happening in my life compiled with anniversary of the loss of my mam

so today has been a day of soul searching which makes me go into one of those moods

think lots, which is bad for me! cos' thats when my demons arise :)

so SPEED yeah!

Ah sorry to hear that man, I can safely say it does get easier with time, I lost me old man when I was 9. It's tough but you'll be ok man.

Just keep ya chin up.

Cheers for all the help guys.

By the looks of it, it's easier to buy a 3rd party one, and stick it on the dashboard, rather then deal with finding a new set of dials from a Super S etc, and wiring it up.

Are you saying though, that there is already a couple of wires designed for a tach behind the dial panel?

Cheers for all the help guys.

By the looks of it, it's easier to buy a 3rd party one, and stick it on the dashboard, rather then deal with finding a new set of dials from a Super S etc, and wiring it up.

Are you saying though, that there is already a couple of wires designed for a tach behind the dial panel?

Honestly mate, replacing the dials is easy, 4 screws. 2 or 3 plugs of wires, and 1 cable for the odometer. Look so much better than aftermarket rev counter too. I've seen so many dials witted which just look so pants.

Ah sorry to hear that man, I can safely say it does get easier with time, I lost me old man when I was 9. It's tough but you'll be ok man.

Just keep ya chin up.

9 years since my mam, lost the girl i was seeing in a car crash last month,

i dunno just lost direction i think. lost the feeling of reason.

so trying to get myself back into cars, just no motivation yet :S

ANYWAYS:

not sure if the k11 has a pulse wire sat there for ya! there will be one to the ECU though.

might just be best running a direct wire from the cap/alternator, upto the dash and seperate dial there!

think i might actually have somewere a k11 A-pillar with 3 dials in it!

might try dig that out

9 years since my mam, lost the girl i was seeing in a car crash last month,

i dunno just lost direction i think. lost the feeling of reason.

so trying to get myself back into cars, just no motivation yet :S

ANYWAYS:

not sure if the k11 has a pulse wire sat there for ya! there will be one to the ECU though.

might just be best running a direct wire from the cap/alternator, upto the dash and seperate dial there!

think i might actually have somewere a k11 A-pillar with 3 dials in it!

might try dig that out

Ah #### man thats awful. No wonder you aint yourself. I can't imagine what your going through dude.

On topic

Most K11s (apart from the L model) AFAIK has the pulse wire there for the tacho. It can also be taken from the ECU or from the blue cable on top of the dizzy, this one is easier to access.

Honestly mate, replacing the dials is easy, 4 screws. 2 or 3 plugs of wires, and 1 cable for the odometer. Look so much better than aftermarket rev counter too. I've seen so many dials witted which just look so pants.

Yeah. I can probably do it in no time at all.

However, it's finding ones of these dial boards. Any suggestions as where to look? I checked ebay, but nout on there as far as I can see.

the route i went down was super s dials, best way, they look so smart, and are well easy to fit. i only have a 1.0l, and had to run a wire from the dizzy for the signal, but it is well easy to do, best thing is to be persistant at the scrappers, i looked for ages for one, got one, then once, i went down, n there were 3 sets, which i sold. lol. they do look super duper though.

Hmm. There's a supposed scrap yard/breakers about 15 minutes away, just between exmouth and exeter. Might be worth a visit.

on the pre facelift you can just swap the mileage counter over, by removing the screws on the back, I did this myself, its a easy job.

i wired my rev counter uptoday

had 4 wires

red - ignition switch

black - earth

yellow - dash lights

and green - been told this goes on cap/distributor but which wire does it go on or does anybody know any other easier way off getting a pluse/reading to the counter

Bumbtastic.

Great news guys! I went to the scrappy, first Micra I look in has a rev counter. With the Analog odometer!

Anyway, I've taken this one apart enough to know what to do when i come round to fitting it at the weekend, but, just to make sure:

Will there most likely be a wire ready for the tach there (my car is an R reg pre facelift)
And will it be a simple case of plug and play?

this is what im after doing aswell, i know this sounds daft but could someone be amazing and do a guide of where to wire up n such lol, ive never really touched electrics on cars before
cheers anyway

As far as I know, you have to be a member to get any guides. Which I might do, but I'm not sure whether to or not. I'll give it a try on saturday and let you know.

Hey, were you able to get your Tachometer working? if so, could you explain how to get mine to work. I have facelift model and i believe it's a non-coil version.

Attachments

• 14339316_10210262847543706_1546728870_o.jpg
    14339316_10210262847543706_1546728870_o.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 354
Back