Fitting a steering rack

M

Mickeyboy

Hi Guys

I am new to the forum ...gotta say it looks great and am I glad I found the club.I need your expertise with a problem

Car is a 98 K11

After a collision my steering rack got damaged. I managed to get a replacement off that well known auction site. I want to fit it myself...I am quite handy with the old tools...the Haynes manual advises the folowing to get the old one out and new one in

1.unbolt the exhaust down pipe from manifold.

2. discontect the gear linkage control rod and support rod.

3.support the gearbox and unbolt the centre member support from gearbox.

My question fellas....is it necessary to do all the above ?..or is there a simpler way of getting the rack out and new one in.It sure wont go through the holes that the track rods pass through.

Cheers for any advice you can offer

Mickeyboy

Hi Guys

I am new to the forum ...gotta say it looks great and am I glad I found the club.I need your expertise with a problem

Car is a 98 K11

After a collision my steering rack got damaged. I managed to get a replacement off that well known auction site. I want to fit it myself...I am quite handy with the old tools...the Haynes manual advises the folowing to get the old one out and new one in

1.unbolt the exhaust down pipe from manifold.

2. discontect the gear linkage control rod and support rod.

3.support the gearbox and unbolt the centre member support from gearbox.

My question fellas....is it necessary to do all the above ?..or is there a simpler way of getting the rack out and new one in.It sure wont go through the holes that the track rods pass through.

Cheers for any advice you can offer

Mickeyboy
Did you get it done and how, I'm stuck trying to get it out

Back