Fitting a rear Lambda sensor

Hi there..

Newbie to the forum, newbie to Nissan Micra too! Just bought a 1.4se 2001 automatic, found out the rear lambda sensor was not working so am trying to get one from a breakers yard..

Then of course, I want to fit it myself... If that is sensible... Anyone done this before? Any tips?

Hi there..

Newbie to the forum, newbie to Nissan Micra too! Just bought a 1.4se 2001 automatic, found out the rear lambda sensor was not working so am trying to get one from a breakers yard..

Then of course, I want to fit it myself... If that is sensible... Anyone done this before? Any tips?

hi welcome to the club :D

who told you there was a rear lambda sensor? ther is only one and that is at the very begining of the exhaust system. it should just unscrew.

what problems are you having with your car?

nex i had two on mine there is one just before the first cat and then a second one on the down pipe just before the 2nd cat that might be the rear sensor he means as far as i no they are exactly the same as each other

nex i had two on mine there is one just before the first cat and then a second one on the down pipe just before the 2nd cat that might be the rear sensor he means as far as i no they are exactly the same as each other

was that on the 1.4? it must be a rennult thing lol

apparently the lambda,s give spurious readings if they get too hot, and thats maybe why some cars have 2 lambda,s (the ecu will take a mean value from them both)

Hi..

Thanks for all the replies.. Getting noise from my exhaust, like it is blowing, but it is not, most noticable on lower revs.. Bit higher fuel consumption, not certain though as only had the car 24 hours..!
Took it into a local garage where they hooked up an engine diagnostic thingy.. The front sensor was working fine but the rear sensor (located behind the engine) was dead...
Have also got an awfully cheap and nasty back box which I am told does not help with the rough sound coming out of it...
Engine performance is fine, but the noise at low revs is not..
Hope that helps...

Steve...

sounds like a leaky exhaust, most probably just a dodgy box. although can't beleve someone linked up a computer for a dodgy noise.

Lamba sensor is really easy to change, however do not get one from a breakers or clean one with any chemicals, they only cost about £50 from a motor spares maybe less. Think its a 22mm spanner

Thanks Whipit..

The spares guy at Nissan reckoned it would be ok to get one from a breakers, which I have started the process of getting one from.. Why should I not? Can you recommend a spares company to get one for £50? Cheapest I have found is £80 +vat, Nissan want £165!!

Back box is brand new, although a cheap and nasty one, no leaks for sure.. Most of the noise is from the manifold, guess I could be calling my next post 'how to fit an exhaust manifold'...!

Steve..

Hi All..

Just to let everyone know what is REALLY going on with my car as there might be one or 2 of you out there with similar problems...
I do not need a rear lambda, it was the back box on my exhaust that was at fault!! It was noisy, so got it replaced (£30 inc fitting) and my rear lambda was instantly working ok again!!
Noise from the manifold was the heat shield between the manifold and the mid box... Pushed it up with the handle of a screwdriver and it sounds fine now...

Thanks all for the advice..

Steve

Back