Fitness thread

gtsnissanb

Official MSC Trader
Don't think we've got one of these, I thought I would be good and helpful to share advice and your methods for losing fat, gaining muscle
What your starting at where you set targets etc
I've just started trying to get into shape I'm 25 turning 26 in a couple of weeks and it's dawned on me my metabolism has finally given up destroying all the cakes and vodka I consume!!
I'm 5'9" 14stone :s good news though I started training, weight lifting 2 month ago, my starting weight was 14stone but unlike then when i was getting quite flabby I now have gotten much bigger arms and my stomach muscles are now visible without tensing!
I'm hoping to keep around this weight but get even more lean, gonna massively change my diet after Christmas to grilled meats like chicken breast with salads and brown rice, no more White bread!

6"1 bout 10 stone (thanks to a metabolism quicker than Hussain Bolt), can't say I do much in the way of exercise other than my very physical job, eat as "right" as possible loads of protein and carbs

Would be handy for weight gain suggestions as well knowing what other people do regime wise

6'1", too many stones. Seeing as putting the weight on was as easy as eating too much pizza and not getting any exercise (helped along on both fronts by shift work), I imagine losing it is as easy as eating less and exercising more.

But like so many things (like fitting my lowering springs and EBC brakes...) easier said than done.

OP
OP
gtsnissanb

gtsnissanb

Official MSC Trader
My fat weight has definitely declined and been replaced by muscle, still a long way to go
I'm lifting 120lb 200 times split into 5 sets of 40 reps chest presses(think that's what it's called) it's bloody hard but I've recently this week upped it from 5 sets of 30 so definite improvement in endurance
I'm currently on maximuscle cyclone which I believe has helped me allot in increasing my strength and muscle mass, but I've just ordered the more anabolic maximuscle extreme!! Gonna see if I get any better results with a more powerful protein shake! This natural muscle building takes forever but at least I'll have earnt it, no cheating using dbol or other steroids!
Next week I'm starting swimming a couple times a week to get my cardio work out sorted

OP
OP
gtsnissanb

gtsnissanb

Official MSC Trader
6"1 bout 10 stone (thanks to a metabolism quicker than Hussain Bolt), can't say I do much in the way of exercise other than my very physical job, eat as "right" as possible loads of protein and carbs

Would be handy for weight gain suggestions as well knowing what other people do regime wise

Best way to bulk up is 4 meals a day I've read, not that I need to put more weight on lol trying to shake what my laziness has already got me is bad enough

Antony

Ex. Club Member
protein shakes and pills and supliments do not work like you think they do..

your body will only take in the same amount of protein you can consume through eating a medium chicken in one day, the rest will be filtered out through your kidneys and be flushed down the toilet..... if you are serious about getting fit, the first thing you should do is cardio, lots of it.

put it like this...

your muscles are like the engine of your body, what you are doing by weight training to get thinner and build muscle is like putting a turbo on a micra..... you can put the turbo on, bolt it up and boost the engine to 15psi.... but if the fueling isnt correct and the engine cannot breathe.... its gonna go POP alot sooner than if it were fit for purpose..

your muscles need to be supplied with blood (oxygen) in order for them to repair themselves and remove lactic acid build up from excercise. the faster you can get blood and oxygen to the muscles the more they will grow. you will also increase your lactic threshold (endurance) masively by doing cardio work. if you dont do more cardio than resitive excercise then you will not be reaching your full potential and you weady little micra fuel pump wont be able to cope. upgrading to a walbro 225lph pump (healthier heart) and ga16de injectors (thicker veins and arteries) will esure you are supplied with all the blood you are ever going to need.

but it all comes down to will power in the end... if your ECU isnt mapped (your mind on the game) then you will blow up or fail completely.

I train with the best instructors in the world with the RAF. i have a very strict fitness regime that enables me to eat whatever i want and stay the same size (ish)

cardio doesnt have to be running either, circuit training, sweat box, spinning, swimming, cross trainer, rowing, hand cycle, etc. its all cardio.

i am completing level 10:2 on the bleep test, 90 press ups per min and 40 situps per min. i am doing the mile and a half in a little over 9 mins and i am 5ft6 and 13 stone of muscle....:p

i am completing level 10:2 on the bleep test, 90 press ups per min and 40 situps per min. i am doing the mile and a half in a little over 9 mins and i am 5ft6 and 13 stone of muscle....:p

Last time I tried this (using the army's targets), I managed something like 80 press ups, 10 chin ups (bad excuse, my hands were slipping on the bar on every up stroke), 100 sit ups and did the mile and a half in just over 13 minutes

If you've never done it before I highly recommend it, you'll ache for days but it's worth it

OP
OP
gtsnissanb

gtsnissanb

Official MSC Trader
I'll have a go at that!
This is what the threads about :)
I could be doing this for years and yeah I'm building muscle but if I'm not doing right it will take longer than if I were doing it correctly
Looking for info on the net seems to be an utter mine field of just unhelpful advice, and I can't afford to be paying £50+ per month to subscribe to a gym, and to be honest I'm a self conscious person so I'd think people were laughing and staring all the time

Seb_

Give me some frogs.
Site Supporter
The way I see it (nothing scientific):

-eat a lot of vegetable and fruits. We dont eat enough of them.
-don't eat pasta at diner (lot of useless energy that you don't need to sleep)
-drink big bowl of milk only in the morning for calcium (no yoghourt or fat cheese at diner)
-eat white meat at each lunch, red meat 2 or 3 times a week max. On the evening prefer fish or sea food.
-dont add salt or sugar, you'll find back true taste of what you're eating, and will get used to it. add aromatic herbs/spicy
-prefer olive oil if you REALLY need fat to cook
-coca cola? random soda? what is it? Banned. Simply.

Try to run about 1hour at least 2 times a week. Dont miss a session, it has to be regular thats the key. Before sleeping, try to do some push up and sit up. Beggining is hard. After you will get used to it and you will need doing them to feel good.

Eating healthy, doing a minimum of exercise, like we were supposed to do in the wild, instead of becoming fat/sugar/salt chemical bombs eater 24/7 stationary office/car monsters.
I've lost a lot of weight like this. and feel better. (Y)

OP
OP
gtsnissanb

gtsnissanb

Official MSC Trader
I'm not a particularly strong swimmer so public swimming pools are a no go for me :down:

I'm ok with swimming I'm not particularly strong either but I enjoy it best exercise you can do as it works all your muscles and you don't break a sweat

OP
OP
gtsnissanb

gtsnissanb

Official MSC Trader
It sounds vain but i found sitting in front of a mirror and try get all your muscles to tense then hold it for as long as you can a few times helps with the definition

Antony

Ex. Club Member
the best you can do for toned ripped muscle..

and this is raf guide lines here..

never miss breakfast... is starts your body's metabolism moving and wakes you up for the rest of the day.
breakfast should be muesli or granola with skimmed or soya milk. some fruit juice (apple or orange kind of thing) and a hand full of sunflower seeds.

a short run in the morning wll get your blood pumping and keep your metabolism high..

mid morning, another handfull of sun flower seeds with a small pot of greek yoghurt (low fat)

lunch, if you can stomach it, you want to start loading your body with protein and pleanty of carbs... (tuna pasta is great) steamed chicken or fish is also an excelent choice.. raw veg< very very important. if you nuke your veg in a microwave you are better off eating the cardboard your ready meal came in...:p pleanty of water...

mid aternoon, pulses (kidney beans etc) not in sauce, its all sugar and will make you crash later on.. and some more nuts. fruit juice too.

just before evening workout... a bottle of Powerade ION4 recopvery drink. (please note that not all "sports" drinks do the same as ion4. this is the only one thaat will hydrate your body with the correct minerals and salts, the rest are isotonic and simply fill you with sugar)

then its excersize.... cardio for 1 hr. lots and lots of repetition on the weights ba, (try a weight that you can lift easily, but do lots of reps for lots of sets until you cant lift your arms / legs / chest etc) 15 mins cardio after workout... DRINK PLENTY OF WATER THROUGHOUT AND UPTO 2 HRS AFTERWORDS

evening snacks.. tin of tuna and a greek yoghurt, more raw veg, (cherry tomato's are good) nothing with sugar as it will speed up your metabolism just before you try to sleep....

LOTS OF SLEEP (about 8-10 hours after workout) this will alow your muscles to recover.)

this bit is important. you must stretch off after every session. but do not ever EVER bounce your limbs like mr motivator used to do. this is called balistic stretching and will destroy your muscles.
stretching must be done in the correct direction of your joints and must be held for 20-30 seconds.... IT WILL HURT LIKE HELL but only in the muscle, if you feel pain in the joint or any shooting pains stop imediately.

lastly...
you will get DOMS. Delayed Onset of Muscle Soreness. so the next day you will feel fine and pumped up, but the following day you will feel stiff and painful (only if your workout has been successful) this is just the indication that you have worked out correctly. (it isnt pain, it is soreness which is evident in the muscle fibres and not at the joints)

you must rest for a day after a massive workout....... recovery is more important that a beasting..:grinning::grinning:

Antony

Ex. Club Member
you can eat poridge yes, but try it without salt or sugar and using water instead of milk.... also, eat a little bit less than you would think you need as it expands in your stomach. the last thing you want for the rest of the day is to feel stodgy..

OP
OP
gtsnissanb

gtsnissanb

Official MSC Trader
you can eat poridge yes, but try it without salt or sugar and using water instead of milk.... also, eat a little bit less than you would think you need as it expands in your stomach. the last thing you want for the rest of the day is to feel stodgy..

I don't really touch sugar much nowadays just the occasional treat, or a swig of lucozade every couple hours

wow i thought i was trying hard! but i never get time to exercise or maybe i move it out the way?

im 5-11 and about 15.5 stone :(

its bad i know but my legs are in great shape as i used to ride about 100 miles a week and ride as much as i can still (damn drivers lisence)

and i dont eat too much, and keep to set times for eating!

i have some weights and try and work my upper body as much as possible

and i smoke!

its not looking great for me, but i cant say im over joyed with the way i am, but im happy and it keeps me warm!

and yes i fail in life

OP
OP
gtsnissanb

gtsnissanb

Official MSC Trader
Smoking is #### IMO I smoked for 10 years or so went cold turkey a year ago never touched one since, I figured it would be better to forget about the stupid patches etc and just let it leave my system naturally and quickly! It takes around 10 years iirc to be completely clear of all smoking evidence in your body!
The hardest part was finding something to do, driving I always smoked, after sex love a nice smoke, after meals etc! The panic that sets in as you get to your last fag, looking back it's f.ing ridiculous a crappy little piece of paper ruled my life! Seriously just say no, it's hard and you keep telling yourself, I enjoy a smoke I don't want to quit, I'll do it when I'm ready! You will never be ready, it is the addiction telling you, your brain is your biggest enemy! Constantly telling you just have one to tide you over, one more last one, just a ten deck, boom back in the loop!
If you decide to stop, just stop buy chocolate (bad advice in a health thread lol) but seriously chocolate stops the itch in your gums, people say chew gum it doesn't work for me
Pretty soon you haven't smoked for a day, a week, a month, then you never even think about it, you will always have the little pangs but they are no worse than the pangs you had which made you start in the first place!
People who smoke hate so called "reformed smokers" when you quit this is what you become you grow to hate what you used to do and the people that take the Mick are jealous that they can't quit
When your on the outside looking in you can see how stupid it is! £6 a day or whatever it is now for 20 could go on anything, my dad quit smoking years ago and all the money he was going to spend on cigs he put in a jar, after a few months bought a skyline r32 gtr!
Will think of the genuine thermostats you could buy

hoopdub

Club Member (Trial)
im 6ft2 15 stone, eat and drink pretty much whatever i want, due to the fact i burn it all off with excersice. aslong as you are active, keep your heart rate up you will burn up what you take in, within reason. im 31, been playing basketball for 15 years, i play for a team in cardiff, train twice a week. i work in a breakers yard during the day so i use that as my weight training, lugging engines and gearboxes around, all cardio in the evenings :D im by no means as fit as i can be, but aslong as you keep active, and can motivate yourself to do something other than sitting on the sofa then your onto a winner :D

Antony

Ex. Club Member
its simple... dont smoke. ever...

what happens to people who are caught in house fires?......... do they get up and do a marathon? or do they die from smoke inhialation?:glare:

its a no-brainer really.

Lets not turn this into a smokers witch hunt.

Personally I don't think it's big or clever to smoke and I don't do it cause all my friends do, I started smoking again after a heavy night of drinking.

I will be quitting again as I made a promise to my mum.... If she quits, which she's doing now, I'll quit so if she stays smoke free in the new year, I'll quit again

Vitus992

Ex. Club Member
im Surprised nobody has mentioned training to heart rate zones here. Most people who train "seriously" will use a heart rate monitor and train to a schedule. It wont bulk you up with muscle but for endurance and weight loss this is the way to go. You need to know your maximum heart rate, the old saying 220 minus your age is utter nonsense. For an accurate max heart rate you need to do a max heartrate test. NEVER EVER do this if you have not been keeping fit for quite a few months and if you are unsure the doctor gives you the go ahead. Once you know your max heart rate you then can work out your 5 zones. cv work in zone 3 (running, cycling or anything you can keep your heartrate steady) is the best place to keep your heart rate for fat loss and general well being and you can do sessions as this 3-4 times a week.
Heart rate zones can be found here http://www.24hrfitness.co.uk/fitness tips/2010/heart-rate-training-zones.html and there are many books out there for training with heart rate zones.
The main thing is is to fins a sport you andjoy and give it a good go, A month down the line you will see big improvements.

hoopdub

Club Member (Trial)
im Surprised nobody has mentioned training to heart rate zones here. Most people who train "seriously" will use a heart rate monitor and train to a schedule. It wont bulk you up with muscle but for endurance and weight loss this is the way to go. You need to know your maximum heart rate, the old saying 220 minus your age is utter nonsense. For an accurate max heart rate you need to do a max heartrate test. NEVER EVER do this if you have not been keeping fit for quite a few months and if you are unsure the doctor gives you the go ahead. Once you know your max heart rate you then can work out your 5 zones. cv work in zone 3 (running, cycling or anything you can keep your heartrate steady) is the best place to keep your heart rate for fat loss and general well being and you can do sessions as this 3-4 times a week.
Heart rate zones can be found here http://www.24hrfitness.co.uk/fitness tips/2010/heart-rate-training-zones.html and there are many books out there for training with heart rate zones.
The main thing is is to fins a sport you andjoy and give it a good go, A month down the line you will see big improvements.

i did :D hehe

Antony

Ex. Club Member
heart rate is a load of rubbish.

your heart rate varies depending on your age, tiredness, time of day, size, weight, fitness, how much you have had to eat, size of your muscles.....

too many variables to even consider using it.

The military never uses heart rate to measure fitness of any kind as it is too unreliable, rather they use your ability to metabolise oxygen whilst running in the anerobic zone.... also known as after the "wall"

this is your body's true fitness level as before this you are using oxygen in an aerobic state, basicaly breathing in as much as you need whilst you are using it.
anaerobic is how your body copes when there is little to no oxygen left to "feed" your muscles.

the problem is anaerobic excercise only last for 20-30 seconds at a time. so you need to do circuits in order to push your anaerobic threshold.

again, your heart rate will rise depending on your mood. this is why it is not reliable.

Vitus992

Ex. Club Member
heart rate is a load of rubbish.

your heart rate varies depending on your age, tiredness, time of day, size, weight, fitness, how much you have had to eat, size of your muscles.....

too many variables to even consider using it.

The military never uses heart rate to measure fitness of any kind as it is too unreliable, rather they use your ability to metabolise oxygen whilst running in the anerobic zone.... also known as after the "wall"

this is your body's true fitness level as before this you are using oxygen in an aerobic state, basicaly breathing in as much as you need whilst you are using it.
anaerobic is how your body copes when there is little to no oxygen left to "feed" your muscles.

the problem is anaerobic excercise only last for 20-30 seconds at a time. so you need to do circuits in order to push your anaerobic threshold.

again, your heart rate will rise depending on your mood. this is why it is not reliable.

I better let the Twice British National champion (mtb) who set up my schedules know this and of course the Olympic training team who set his schedules this, they have been wasting their time!!
Also note every rider on the tours will have a heart rate monitor on their bikes and will log every piece of data on this - how little they know!

Antony

Ex. Club Member
indeed, i will let the three times iron man champion, olympic swimming champion and the team of triatheletes at RAF Leuchars know too then... you do realise than many of the olympic atheletes are current or ex serving forces members? many of those are RAF.... theres a reason for this.

this isnt a **** measuring contest, the truth is, nobody really knows. your heart rate is subject to so many variables that it is just not reliable. who is to say that my resting heart rate of 45 BPM's is healthy or not?.. or that after 30 mins on a bike its up at 200 BPM? it makes no difference to your fitness.

if you are counting callories and burning fat. the go ahead and measure your heart rate........ but watching a scary movie that gets your heart rate upto 160 bpm's wont make you fitter.

I like this thread, I'm 6'4" and about 18 1/2 stone. I'm getting married next summer and in the kind words of my fiancé "I'm not marrying a fatty"

My biggest vice is beer!! Then food! Although I am trying to cut this downsnd eat more healthily and stop snacking on crap!

Yesterday I did my first ever 10km race. My god my legs ache now lol! But hopefullyill be out again on tues or weds once I've recovered to try and keep up the running.

Vitus992

Ex. Club Member
I was only teasing Anthony!! To dismiss an entegral part of of so may peoples performance training as "a load of rubbish" was rather amusing. Take a peek you will see a heart rate chest strap on most endurance atheletes. On the big tours you can even log on to websites and track your favourite riders heart rate, absolutely useless unless you know their max rate.

Vitus992

Ex. Club Member
I like this thread, I'm 6'4" and about 18 1/2 stone. I'm getting married next summer and in the kind words of my fiancé "I'm not marrying a fatty"

My biggest vice is beer!! Then food! Although I am trying to cut this downsnd eat more healthily and stop snacking on crap!

Yesterday I did my first ever 10km race. My god my legs ache now lol! But hopefullyill be out again on tues or weds once I've recovered to try and keep up the running.

Good work chap, the key here is finding a sport you enjoy and get out and do it. I see so many at the gym not having a good time and soon give up.

Antony

Ex. Club Member
you see, even completing a 10km race proves that you are "FIT" but not healthy.

your body can work at pace, and work very well if you are able to run for 10km.

now i am betting that your heart rate was quite high after this, but then it would be after a ride in a 2 seater F1 car.

the real fitness is in your lung capacity and the ability of them to transfer the oxygen to your blood.... and of course the more red blood cells your blood has, the more oxygen it can carry.

the hardest thig to understand is this....
if you are fat, your blood vessels are restricting the flow of blood around the body. your heart has to pump twice as fast to move the same blood as someone half the weight... if you rely on heart rate you will quite quickly realise that, as you get thinner and healthier, these figures change, as does your blood pressure and your lung capacity (we never normaly use more than 30% capacity at a time, try breathing in full and youll see what i mean)
if you stick with a regeime of pushing your body through structured cardio cycles, you will improve your endurance, your fitness and your health all in one.

best way to do this is treadmill or normal running...... at first you will get sore knees and sore calfs (stretching you ATB and your calves will help) but this will pass the more your body gets used to running...
set a distance and a time, a realistic time.... (do a sighting run to see if its atainable).... do the run. then cool down.... then do the run again this time trying to beat your prevous time (or increase the incline of the tread mill and aim for the same time).. keep going untill you cannot continue..... have a 5min cool down or slow jog, and repeat the process...

you can do this on any cardio machine, bike, rowing machine, cross trainer etc etc. the trick is not to give up after the first set but to have a recovery period and try again but with the same intensity as before.....

Antony

Ex. Club Member
I was only teasing Anthony!! To dismiss an entegral part of of so may peoples performance training as "a load of rubbish" was rather amusing. Take a peek you will see a heart rate chest strap on most endurance atheletes. On the big tours you can even log on to websites and track your favourite riders heart rate, absolutely useless unless you know their max rate.

hairy ####...lol
:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

its normaly there to make sure you dont "cool down" too quickly and as more of a monitor than a full on legit way of training. there are so many different ways of getting fit, they all amount to the same thing, more excercise and less food.

Gyms have never really done it for me! I either get too concerned with people who might be looking at me (dunno why) or end up not going as often as its an effort to get there, then I start thinking that's cost me X pints of beer for not going for 2 weeks lol.

So much cheaper to go out in real world, plus I've got a couple of great apps in my phone which record the route and distance which I find really handy!

hoopdub

Club Member (Trial)

good height, get to your local basketball team, that will lean you up a treat :D

good height, get to your local basketball team, that will lean you up a treat :D

Used to play back in high school, won the county championship but unfortunatley i have got a competitive bone in my body when it comes to team sports, dunno why but probablt stems from when having a kick about with mates that it used to get so serious and lads would start getting upset lol, i on the otherhand couldn't give a ###### is someone was offside or tripped someone up!

Is a shame though cos used to really enjoy basketball and i could dunk too!!

pork

Club Member
Just got me a 16kg kettle bell. Do an hour of that a day, should defo trim a few poundage. Cardio and weights all in one!

Has any tried the C25K plan (couch to 5k) been looking at it and it looks to be a good plan, mix of walking then running until you get to the later stages of the plan when it becomes more running...... And for you anti smoking nazis come monday im quitting smoking again :grinning:

OP
OP
gtsnissanb

gtsnissanb

Official MSC Trader
Good you gay! Lol
In all fairness putting fags in your mouth lol
You'll become a ASN as well once you realise how much life and money you've wasted on little sticks of dried plant and paper! I laugh thinking about it tbh

It's not the financial reasons I want to quit, I've got my son to think about and I'm applying for the army so I need to get my fitness back up to scratch

I was going to quit Friday but as my gf said "do you really want to go cold turkey over the weekend?"

OP
OP
gtsnissanb

gtsnissanb

Official MSC Trader
Weekend? It doesn't matter what day it is mate just put the fag down don't pick it up again easy :) I can say that as I've done it

How is everyone getting on?

I'm currently training for my first half marathon, the sheffield half marathon on the 27th May, 13 miles is such a long way!! going to do another 10km race on the 22nd April in Sheff to get used to the crowds again, just need to make my self get back out running now after a weekend camping with associated drink/food indulgence. got nice blister from my new trainers last week so need to plaster up this week me thinks.

Ill let you know how i get on.

Matt

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Just seen this thread. I've been trying to get into shape for the past couple of years on and off. I need to lose weight for karting, but I wanted to tone up and get stronger, so trying to achieve the two hasn't been easy. I'm 5'9 and weigh 80KG. I've swapped white bread for 50/50 and try to eat smaller meals, and increase the amount of fish/fruit & salad in my diet, and cut out crap like chocolate, red bull, pizzas etc. Generally I feel a lot healthier. I also do cardio work and weights at the gym, kick boxing once a week and try to go swimming too. It's definitely working! Oh and loads of sex, that helps lol.

My kick boxing partner said she's lost loads of weight since giving up crisps, bread, chocolate and alcohol so to anyone who wants to lose weight should consider doing that too!

I figure I'll join in and see if someone can help me out too I'm 5,8/9 ish and just about 13stone play rugby allot but need to gain about 2 stone of muscle idealy so that i can realistically play in my best suited position (hooker) used to play for county at age group level but since getting into mens rugby can't even play where i should because of my weight, strength and power my current gym program is 4x500m rowing 20mins running 4x8 squats I was up to about 95kgs before my Alevel exams started 4x8 bench press 4x8 lat pull down 3x plank max time+12xrollouts 2x 15 leg raises 2x max knee raises 2x max widearm pullups then sometimes put in 20 4ft box jumps and some deadlifts.
on a side note Antony your very lucky I have used Leuchars gym when i visted my sister who works there and it is a very good gym only place i have seen/used that machine that you do like rows with no idea what its called lol

Antony

Ex. Club Member
/\ cross trainer, treadmill, stairmaster, rowing machine, stand up and sit down cycle machines and a hand cycle...lol

thats a good start dude but you need to use "bulk up" weigh protein. you are burning off all of your stored fats and energy doing that regeim. after your body has eaten its fil of carbs it starts eating protein, the only place it can get them is in muscles..... unless you give it a steady supply.