Fitment of Fuel Tank Sender Unit

Hi recently I had to fit a new fuel tank sender unit to my late 2002 1.4SE so armed with my trusty Haynes manual I undertook the task!
SAFETY FIRST: Fire Extinguisher close by and you must de-pressurise the fuel tank and fuel lines by removing the fuel pump fuse located in the drivers side fuse box once this is removed turn the ignition on and run engine till it stalls then turn ignition on several more times to check system is de-pressurised. Replace fuse and then remove the earth lead on the battery and also I opened the fuel filler cap and opened all windows, doors and the boot for ventilation!
1457883100861.jpg

First step is to remove the rear seats to get to the access plate which is located on the top of the fuel tank.
Then you have to remove the panel to gain access to the top of the tank cap which has attached to it the fuel lines and the electrical connector plugs for the sender and fuel pump. I cleaned and wiped and removed all debris from around the cap before removing anything!
1457883100861.jpg

Next remove the connector plugs and the fuel lines (be careful lines can still have residue fuel in them so plenty of mop-up rags to hand) make note of which fuel line connects to which outlet/inlet and plug and tape back lines!
1457883630848.jpg

Next is to remove the black plastic retaining ring mark it with scratch for a reference point for re-fitting! Remove the black ring and the black rubber seal underneath pull the white plastic cap upwards slowly and disconnect the sender unit plug attached underneath the cap!
1457884190172.jpg

1457884238847.jpg

Even though Ithe fuel tank was nearly empty there was still fuel in it so with a glove on I located the fuel sender which is white and attached to the side of the fuel pump it is held by one plastic push clip which is easily undo but be care full not to drop the sender into the fuel tank and remove the sender unit carefully it does take a bit of jigging!
The top of the white sender unit can be seen clearly in the next pic with the connector clip/tab to the right!
1457884648077.jpg

Carefully and slowly fit the new sender unit making sure you do not snag it or bend the float arm!
Here's a pic of the new sender unit and seal!
1457884958773.jpg

1457885004969.jpg

A pic of the new sender unit (top) and old unit which shows discoloured and Wear!
1457885108698.jpg

The sender unit clipped back onto the fuel pump surprisingly easy mind you there is only one way it can then re-connect the sender unit plug back to the bottom of the cap and push the cap down if you feel resistance stop and check nothing is snagging then re-fit! Next feed the new seal on and carefully screw down the black plastic retaining ring to your reference mark taking care not to snag the seal! Re-connect the fuel lines on the correct connectors making sure their retaining clips are tight and then re-connect the the sender unit and fuel pump electrical connector plugs then re-check all connections are good.
1457886087317.jpg

Before replacing the access plate re-connect the battery earth and start the engine up and check for any fuel leaks and if the fuel gauge is working if everything is good replace the access plate and seats!
1457886125869.jpg

Job done and it works lol! B-)

Attachments

• 1457882476769.jpg
    1457882476769.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 588
Last edited:
Thanks guys I must admit I was in 2 minds whether to attempt the task but as long as safety comes first and you use common sense it proves it can be done even by a novice like me, also I thought I would create a thread because there is not much info about it! B-)

Back