.. fined by police

kristian

One Way Mule
to cut a long story short, im driving down the M1 Motorway..

Infact an 'unlit' part of the motorway.. tonite and theres a slow moving police car in the nearside lane..

Everyones passing slowly as they do and as soon as I pass..

Boom!.. Las vegas behind me..

So I pull over expecting the usual:

.. cars too low..
.. tints are too dark..
.. Cars too loud..
.. HID's are too bright..

so.. 'Please get out of the car.. and join me near my patrol car' etc..

.. then without me saying a word..

'im giving you a fixed penalty notice for your foglights being on'

wtf?...

I, being respectful in the only half dozen words I spoke, said... 'isn't this a bit harsh?'

( I felt like laughing )

... without a hesitation, in a raised tone, she blurted.. ''if you want to make an issue out of it you can take it to court''

.. I had hit some mist on the way through from the newcastle area and had obviously left them on having just joined the motorway..

I might be wrong here but Im sure I heard a disapointed moan when my details of the car came through 100% taxed, tested and insured..

So.. according to my receipt for the offence.. I committed the illegal act of ''MISUSE OF FRONT FOG LAMPS''

ill get some pics of the ticket posted up..cant find docking station for digi cam

On the Ticket shes obviously mispelled:

The model of my car
My Name
The Name of my town

Any chance of getting this 30 quid dropped?.. matter of principle for me...

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
I got one of these when I was 17 and driving through London, though it was £20 then, not £30.

You made a mistake, I'd just accept it an move on.

However, threatening court on a non-endorsable offence does seem odd. I'm going to have to look that up.

if u challenge it they will probably drop it because you should claim it was misty and you had reasonable reason to be using your lights it will be to expensive to proceed against you i think it would be dropped. up to you if you try it but i have beaten several parking tickets in the past by disputing them.

this is not legal advise just a personal comment but i think if you could prove the mist you could win have a look for online weather reports for that day in that area and print the forcast for that day in that area.

Basicly the court will see it that if she misspelled The model of my car, My Name and The Name of my town, what other mistakes has she made and will more than likely drop the charges. Also if you say that they were driving light not fog lights, she made a mistake.

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
If you do get pulled for fogs DON'T say they were driving lamps. Cos then they will look til they find sommat else wrong, and the fine for that could be more than 30 quid.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
if u challenge it they will probably drop it because you should claim it was misty and you had reasonable reason to be using your lights it will be to expensive to proceed against you i think it would be dropped. up to you if you try it but i have beaten several parking tickets in the past by disputing them.

this is not legal advise just a personal comment but i think if you could prove the mist you could win have a look for online weather reports for that day in that area and print the forcast for that day in that area.

You may ONLY use fogs if visibility is less than 100 meters. That is very obvious fog :) So misty would not work.

OP
OP
K

kristian

One Way Mule
However, threatening court on a non-endorsable offence does seem odd. I'm going to have to look that up.

I said... 'I didn't know it was so illegal'

She said.. ''It comes under the classification of Driving whilst not under full control of the motor Vehicle''

.. Dont get me wrong, I know what I was doing was technically wrong and punishable..

BUT..

This does raise the question as to what is GOOD and BAD policeing???

Just for example.. say she pulled me over and said somthing along the lines of...

'' listen, youve got your fog lights on and I dont think there is a need for it..
.. I COULD fine you for this as its an offence! So take this as a warning..''

This would of been so much more constructive..

Id have left the side of the road not just the 30pounds better off.. but with much more importantly.. a greater respect for the police.. and the feeling of 'wow id better not do that again as I might get fined'

..I feel with the instant application of, what is effectively, the most severe punishment possible for this type of offence..

.. that much more contempt for the police.. their policies.. their use of time..

..Just my opinion.. and why its the principle of the thing..

Offence:

cimg2522yc9.jpg

Spelling mistakes..

..Bear in mind.. she asked me to spell everything apart from 'Warrington' and my make and model of car..
..Which I did.

cimg2523de5.jpg

You may ONLY use fogs if visibility is less than 100 meters. That is very obvious fog :) So misty would not work.

So who at the time is there to say weather or not its less than 100m?

She was on her OWN.. and as far as im aware had no Equipment to measure this..

Still this is not the point..
..I didn't mean to have them on.. Id had them on before joining the motorway and id left them on..

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Kristian I agree that the hard line is pointless and the fine unnecessary and simply a warning would make you not feel so persecuted. As I said I had this years ago.

Ed

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
Oh just so you know in this situation saying 'shouldn't you be out catching real criminals/ those pedos you lost' only makes things worse lol.

She was probably having a bad day, oh and police have to meet targets for 'detecting crimes' so you will have helped their numbers.

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
wtf is a nissan almeria! LOL challenge it mate that things so badly filled out any solicitor could get that dropped!

PeteST24

Ex. Club Member
Take it to your local Citizen advice bereau, they will know if you have a case to appeal. Its 50/50 if you do as she has mispelt things, but is the reg number correct?

Also they will know if it was really foggy from weather monitors etc. (In court that is)

Bottom line is you had your fog lights on at the wrong time in the wrong place and she was in a foul mood (probably didnt get any fun the night before lol)

She should have just warned you I think.

Should you have been in Scotland you could have told her where to stick the fine :) Police can only hold you and penalise you with 2 or more officers present

James

Chairman
I don't believe the A1 is a motorway either. If she meant A1 (M) (I think it is that at the A64 junction) she should have put that on the form.

Like others have said, if she's put that many mistakes on the form, what else has she mistaken?

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Almeria lmao. Sorry Kristian i feel for you. I agree a verbal warning would have been more suitable, and must be so frustrating to get something like that.

quickdraw

Ex. Club Member
Erm, just to back a few others up kris, but take your V5 to the police station and simply say the registration does not match the vehicle specified, there fore was not you!

Had about 4 of these in about the last 2-3 months,

One was last week, police officer stopped one of our guys attending a late night security alarm. he got pulled over doing 38 in a 30, attending work as the breach alarm had been rasied and he is the call out, being nearest manager to work.

They pulled him over at 11.47pm or summit, but because the form said 11.47, he simply said it wasnt me as i was at workduring this time. and was at work from 8.30 - 1700 hours. because the officer had put 11.47 instead of 23.47, case dropped.

Same with a friend who got off because he had showed his driving license yet the officer still wrote ANDY instead of Andrew, admittadly the officer had asked his name he did say andy, but then the officer took his licence to Which he took the details from. Dropped also. its incredible how many do get dropped, think it was a ratio of about 83% off cases that were challanged were thrown out!

But then the concequences can also come back and bite ya, so be careful!

Wayne

Ceirwan

Ex. Club Member
That said, i hope no one on here 'deliberately' leaves them on. Its possibly one of the most annoying things EVER, driving through the country, car tailgating you, full beam, foglights, and you can barely see for the glare in your mirrors!

I would personally challenge it, they probably wouldn't fight it, but with that many mistakes you'd have a chance say you were stopped by an illiterate officer!

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
That said, i hope no one on here 'deliberately' leaves them on. Its possibly one of the most annoying things EVER, driving through the country, car tailgating you, full beam, foglights, and you can barely see for the glare in your mirrors!

That's what the brake pedal is for, hit it hard and remove their headlights.

Ceirwan

Ex. Club Member
Yeah, but most of them are so close they WOULD hit me, while technically it would be their fault, they probably wouldn't stop, and i don't want to wait for the back end of my car to be replaced!

magpie

Buy & Sell Member
but then the officer took his licence to Which he took the details from.

Wayne

never surrender your licence to an officer at the roadside----it is an admission of guilt.

take the hort1 form which he will issue if you cannot provide details at the side of the road you will have to present documents at police station within 7 days

quickdraw

Ex. Club Member
never surrender your licence to an officer at the roadside----it is an admission of guilt.

take the hort1 form which he will issue if you cannot provide details at the side of the road you will have to present documents at police station within 7 days

no its not.

they can take your license to confirm details!

its not an admission of blame.

ive handed mine over loads of times purely to get checked out####1 then be let on my way!

got to a point i was being pulled over practically everyday back up north when i was in my k10 because of the modifications. so carried all my details on me. cuts out the time issue. few times ive ssown producers to other officers and just said, can i not produce it at the same time with this one since you keep harraasing me.

i logged a complaint about 2 officers because they were being anal about everything, checking the tyres every other day etc. but the police (resource) centre (were they stay because it was quite a rough estate unfortunatly) was just off the bottom of my road,

but never got ne thing on me :)

so its not really an admission of blame. depends on waat you have been pulled over for!

sparkie

aka WELLY
so but the main thing i can see hear. is the fact she didn't do her job probalry. cause as you said she radio for the details of your car. so if she put almeria thinking almera then she obviouls need's glass and an hear aid for her radio. i would just get it checked out with a solictor or citerzen's advice bearu

pixieness

Ex. Club Member
thats so harse, bet it was that time of the month for her.
Steady on - you can't make the same excuse for their male counterparts!!!

It is a bit crappy and I can understand that you want to have this revoked through principle, but at the same time it strikes me that it might be going to extremes for the sake of £30.

That said... what I wouldn't do for an extra £30 right now!

Thing is though, I didn't even realise it was an offence to have your foglights on. If that's the case, there are tens of people who drive past me on the way to work every morning who are committing this offence! She clearly spotted the car, decided to see what she could get you for, and noticed the foglights were on. I would suggest that had it been a Merc estate with a suited and booted behind the wheel, she wouldn't have noticed.

Yeah thirded, no such thing as random stops as far as the police are concerned. Igot pulled over 4 times in the last month, saturday around 1 am on the same road. Obviously found nothing but strangely checked for insurance 3 times and never asked for Id.

Chrisxn

Ex. Club Member
Hmm.. i think you shud get it checked over by someone who knows better. As whats been said!

But couldnt there also be a claim that if you're on an unfarmiliar road at night, you had your fogs on for the extra visual distance (if that makes sense.. I mean so you can see further!). I was at Hornsea the other day and theres a windy country road down to it.. I had my fogs on all the way down there- except when traffic came the other way, cos I didnt wanna end up in a ditch! having said that, a large motorway, and would prolly have catseyes on.... I think its a gd ground to argue on, really.

Foglights too- The law says 'if visibility is restricted to under 100 metres' or whatever. Does that include receded vision at night?

Few points there :)

OllyC, you were on fire earlier.. had me laughin like no1 business :D

Pete

Site Supporter
If it's a bit misty we worry sometimes that a good solicitor will scare the cps off. But if it were to go to court, and you presented that the car details were wrong the magistrate (especially here) would ask you for the correct details, ask you if you did have your fogs on (obv you are under oath and if you were on the motorway it's likely to be a traffic car WITH on board camera) and get the officer to give you a fresh ticket whilst your in the dock.

I gave one out the other day and the girls excuse was that her fogs were on because her dipped beam wasn't working... hmm driving a car with defective lamps or driving a car with the fogs on, I went easy on her and gave her a fpn (ne) for the fogs.