Filling with fuel

TTnA

Ex. Club Member
This is our 3rd Micra, and we've had this on every one, although my wife's 1.0 K11 on a K plate wasn't as bad. Filling up with petrol just seems to be a nightmare, even worse here on island as the choices are limited to well 1 as the other shops pump calibration units are broken so their pumps are out of action.

It should be really easy, unlock flap, unlock cap, screw out cap, put in unleaded nozzzle, squeeze and fill, but instead it's squeeze and cuts off, so one adjusts the angle, and the process continues till you hit that sweet spot with a gentle squeeze and you can slowly get the fuel into the tank.

Anyone else have this problems? Is there a work around? If so what can you do, or is it just down to the the way the Micra is and the pumps nozzle?

The pumps which don't do this are in the minority unfortunately.

After trial-and-error, on the K10, I found that rotating the nozzle clockwise by about ⅛ of a turn usually worked, but the K11 (mine's a K-reg) is a lot worse in this respect, maybe because the fuel cap can not be opened wide enough to turn the fuel pump round far enough. Or it could be that cap thing behind the fuel cap affecting the pump's sensor?

Having the pump click off at more than a trickle is slightly inconvenient :rolleyes:

BG

well i have found that it clicks off when the nozzle is too far in?! i just take it out a little bit not so im spraying it around the forecourt but just a little and all seems well :)
Good Luck!

I found the sweet spot too, as has been said put it in past the flap and then pull it back so the end is just holding the flap open, it works for me and you can fill at full speed.

its a common k11 problem cos the rubber breather return pipe from the tank usually kinks. When filling up the tank, the air in the tank cannot escape out the breather pipe fast enough due to the kink restriction causing the filler pipe to fill up until the fuel splashes back at the nozzle sensor and makes it cut-out.

when i took my tank out during restoration, i replaced the spongy rubber pipe with a spirally reinforced conduit pipe so it can bend without kinking. filling up is a breeze now.

Thanks for the info about the rubber pipe. Is it relatively easy to get to without stripping everything down? :)

BG

^ mine sometimes does that too frank

Thanks for the info about the rubber pipe. Is it relatively easy to get to without stripping everything down? :)
BG

it's quite a task. the pipe goes through the chassis beam and to the top of the tank, so requires the tank to be lowered.

well many thanks :) Think it'll be a job for a day when there isn't much else to do apart from "play lower the fuel tank and de-kink the pipe", having nosed underneath, have been quite taken back by the subtle differences between the facelift version compared to our old Micra K11's. Only just found out we don't even have a fag lighter in this one :eek: yet we have air-con o_O

I had this problem also, what i do is turn the Nozzle about 90 degrees counter clockwise you may have to pull it out very slightly just so long as you clear the little anti siphon metal bit you will be ok though. I think its to do with the neck of the fuel tank and the fuel splashes off it and the pump thinks the tank is full. Using this technique i can put the fuel in at the quickest rate and it rarely if ever cuts out.

It's odd how some pumps seem to work fine without cutting out. The ones at Asda in Thurmaston do (though I normally avoid that globe-consuming conglomerate :p).

The design of pumps must have changed since the early days of the K11 (and K10) ;)

BG

What happens with my K11 is that if i fill it until full, the fuel pump doesnt stop and starts to drop fuel to the ground, dont know for sure from where... And it gets very smelly inside the car. Any solution? thanks

I'd check the hoses & tank where the leaks from asap cos it'll be hazardous and wastes fuel. Has the fuel system been serviced before?

Back